Where to Find Oval Number Plates???

kempbartlett

I am rebuilding a 1968 honda CB350 and am trying to put a "racing style" number plate on it, but am having surprisingly difficult time finding one. Id prefer painted aluminum oval , but im open to all places yal know of that sell number plates! Thanks! ( and sorry about this being in "tanks and Seats", didn't see a more fitting location for the post.

Kemp

Kemp,

On the street you probably don't want to put numbers on. Racers are not allowed by their race organizations to have their race numbers on the street.

So that means anyone with pseudo race type number plates can be spotted as a poseur - or as they say in Australia wanker and you probably don't want to be called that.

For our race bikes if we have to go with oval plates we usually start with a rectangular plate and cut it to shape. It ain't perfect but that's not so important on a race bike.

haha, yea i understand your point, but i don't think anyone is gonna mistake it as an actual race bike. 350 isn't exactly a race size engine :).I'm just going for the classic style/look of the cafe. If anyone was to ask i would certainly own up to not being a racer! ideas guys?

kemp

this is not my bike , but just a kinda idea of what i am looking for http://pictures.topspeed.com/IMG/crop/201005/ktm-530-exc-caf-race_600x0w.jpg

kemp

kempbartlett said:
haha, yea i understand your point, but i don't think anyone is gonna mistake it as an actual race bike. 350 isn't exactly a race size engine :).I'm just going for the classic style/look of the cafe. If anyone was to ask i would certainly own up to not being a racer! ideas guys?

kemp

The 350 is actually a very popular race bike in vintage racing circles.

Theres a lot of them on ebay. Heres some for example: http://www.ebay.com/itm/3-WHITE-OVAL-NUMBER-PLATES-9-x-11-MOTOCROSS-PLASTIC-VINTAGE-KAWASAKI-SUZUKI-KX-/161232186669?pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&hash=item258a2fed2d&vxp=mtr

I've been thinking of doing a similiar setup for my RD. With a projector headlight going through it.

yea, that's^ about the best i could find as well. i was hoping for something made of metal so it would last allot longer. Plus didn't really want to have to slap a stick on it. Figured a painted one would look allot better.

Kemp

Our race bikes are CB160s and my TZ is only 250cc , but the point is that number plates on the street is a sure sign of a complete poseur. It's a style play to "suggest" a race look and all it does is invite people who know to giggle and smirk. If you care what people think - don't go there and if you don't care you wouldn't do it either. ;-)

I make period-correct fiberglass ovals with beaded edges that some of the guys run on their race bikes but if you want metal ones, you're going to have to see a sheet metal shop that has a bead roller. You could probably get it done fairly cheaply if you show up with the ovals already cut out and the tinsmith just has to roll the bead.
Gets a bit trickier if you want the guy to bead the # 8 in the metal, but the right guy can do it.
Ya, I looked at the plastic ovals on ebay, but couldn't fathom why it would be almost 25 bucks to ship 18 dollars worth of plastic - and the new ones seemed to be about half as thick as the ones we used on our dirt bikes back in the day.
If you're really stuck on finding something in your area, pop me an email and I'll see what I can scare up...
Pat
pacomotorstuff@cogeco.ca

Your profile doesn't say where you are, but Speed & Sport in California has them if you are in the states http://www.speedandsport.com/index.php/parts/sidepanels-and-number-plates/number-plate-alloy-9-11-oval/

There is another guy out of California on eBay that sells them as well, in a wider variety of shapes and sizes, but eBay is down at the moment, oddly enough. Just do a search for aluminum number plate on there

Finally got ebay to load http://www.ebay.com/sch/sbent68/m.html?item=261082958632&hash=item3cc9c1cb28&pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&vxp=mtr&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2562

round
$T2eC16N,!zcE9s4g099eBQgGo-oUiQ~~60_57.JPG

little oval
$(KGrHqQOKi!E2mI(Bh!bBNzs(fC5mQ~~_12.JPG

big oval
abf0_12.JPG

Also rounded rectangle, and bent scrambler/flat track heat sheild

Back
Top Bottom