Anyone ever put a Micron muffler on a CB550? Results? Differculties?

Modgod1

1974 Honda CB550 Cafe Racer in Progress
Anyone ever put a Micron muffler on a CB550? Results? Differculties?

Thanks!

that is not nearly enough information for anybody to help
are you talking about removing the stock muffler at the collector ?
if you are then putting on a glass pack micron muffler you should have a midpipe as well so that the overall length is right
and the micron really needs to have the correct core size

Thanks for the reply. I'm talking about a muffler/slip on. All I know is when I was a kid growing up in England in the early 80's, all the older kids had Yamaha RD125's and 250's, and they would put a Micron muffler, and/or the whole pipes, and instantly get another 10mph out of their bikes. If such an animal as a complete Micron pipe system exists for a 1974 CB550 I'd love to know about it?

I'd assume those results aren't comparable because of the nature of a two stroke (Yam RD) vs a four stroke (Honda CB). In two stroke the pipe design has a greater effect on engine performance because of the expansion chamber pushing unburnt mixture back in to the cylinder, unlike a four stroke where the exhaust is simply to remove the burnt gasses from the combustion chamber. I'd assume a more aggressive pipe design than factory would give the RDs the extra/different powerband to bump top speed. Keep in mind these are basic principles, exhaust tuning is still a thing in four stroke design. This is where xb's comment about correct pipe length comes in to play. If you want to learn a little more about four stroke exhaust design start here: http://www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=39814.60

Thanks man, I had a brain fart and didn't even think about they were 2 strokes! Also thanks for sharing that great link.

Back
Top Bottom