Lester Wheels for CB550K and anything similar??

Modgod1

1974 Honda CB550 Cafe Racer in Progress
I'll be going to a rarely opened Motorcycle Salvage Yard soon. I need Lesters for my 1974 Honda CB550K. 19in front 18in rear standard brakes etc.

What I need to know is, what bikes should I look at to find them?

Also, failing that, is there anything similar that are bolt on and not too pricey. And last, if I have to settle for Comstar Wheels which bikes should I look for, and will the CB550K rear hub brake assy fit them?

Thanks guys.

if you find ANY lesters, buy them. no matter what they fit they are worth money and you can probably make a profit buying them from a salvage yard. "similar" looking wheels are yamaha XS mag wheels, but 18" rears are really hard to find in both Lesters and Yamaha factory wheels.

anyways, front wheel that would definitely bolt on:
cb750 - all SOHC models
cb650 - 79-82
cb500 - 71-74
cb550 - 74-78

GL1000 might bolt on, but would be dual disc....so take the whole front end and it WILL bolt on.

as for the yamaha wheels, I'm not sure the axle diameter will play nice with honda but bearings are easy to swap.

ANY model that's an XS### front wheel will fit. I think that would be xs360, xs400, xs650, xs750, xs850, xs1100. rear 18" mag will most likely only be possible on the xs400 but will be narrower than a cb550 rear wheel. you'll also have to take the drum brake with the XS wheels if you want to run them, and same deal....the axle might not be the same nor the spacers, nor the sprocket offset....so all of that would have to be measured.

i wanted something a bit different on my 73 sohc that i am building

the front end is off a gl650 with the stock for the gl650 front wheel dual disc dual piston calipers i shortened the front end 1 inch

the back is made up of a cb 750 nighthawk rear wheel cb750 dohc brake assembly and a custom drilled rear sprocket

and i used a cognitomoto 10 mm offset front sprocket to line it all back up perfectly

the other ones to look for are MORRIS mags.... the superbike racers used them back in the day and they used ones that actually are MAGNESIUM, the same morris pattern is in aluminum as well, they are worth even more than lester's, the real magnesium ones may as well be made of gold :)
here is a morris mag ;)

b73b4ff9.jpg

Keep your eye out for any Henry Abe wheels as well:

http://www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=41031.0

Back
Top Bottom