Chris' Cafe build (02.11.08) Winter Update

chrisf

Over 1,000 Posts
Hi:

I'm spending more time on the forum, so I figure I should start posting my project updates here. To catch up, please read my website (http://www.fiaccone.com/CafeRacer/Cafe.html). I always post the details there.

First, I finished the brake side of my rearsets. I'd like to shorten the rod 1/2" on each side.
BrakeSet.jpg

Next, the kicker. I had to use a kicker from a CB750. I then modified it to clear the rearsets. That bolt locks the kicker into position
KickerResting.jpg

See how it clears?
Kicker.jpg

I also made a license plate mount. That's my tailight. Not my best eBay purchase, but I should have read better. Turns out, it is plastic :(
Tailight.jpg

Here is the bracket. If this is unsafe, please let me know!!
TailightMount.jpg

Here I am on the bike showing the stance. I think it works out.
TailightMount.jpg[

Here I am on the bike showing the stance. I think it works out.
RiderSideView.jpg

Here is the bike from the front. I need to raise the headlight. I also want a new tach. If you know of a lower profice tach that will work with the CB350, please let me know!
RiderFrontView.jpg

The nice thing about the front view is that you cannot see the license plate mount. I really like how I was able to keep the very narrow look of the bike.

Next weekend, hopefully, I'll tear down the bike and start prepping for paint. This is where things get fun.

--Cheers, Chris

Re: Chris' Cafe build (05.20.07)

I'm guessing your controls/grips aren't all the way onto the clipons? Or are they really long?

Why raise the headlight? I'd be tempted to lower it so the brackets are closer to the midpoint between the triple trees. Then you could mount the same tach on a plate bolted to the bottom of the top triple tree lowering it about an inch at least, although I'm not sure if there's a convenient place to do that.

I've seen some tachs mounted way low on a fork leg - for racing I suppose so you can see it in a tuck perhaps. www.mikesxs.com sells lots of nice small gauges but the ratios might not be right.

A quick update because I'm heading out of town. More details on the website...

Wrapped the pipes with the new copper wrap. Supposed to be 30% better. Who knows?!?

PipesSide.jpg

And from the front. I need to drop the clip-ons down an inch or so. I also remade the tach mount. It came out nice and really sortened the pofile above the tripple trees.
PipesFront.jpg

Here's the mount from above.
Tach.jpg

--Cheers, Chris

I was wondering if you were going to wrap those pipes, install scrambler shields or wear asbestos pants... guess that answers my question ;D

The sideways tach is great ;D I guess if it's pointed straight ahead it's time to roll off the wrist huh? :D

Great work!

Those bars look AMAZING... what a difference!!

Looks great! I think I'd like the bars inverted, so they're a bit lower but still forward mounted like you have them, but we'll see how I feel when I go to mount mine!

Defeated

So I suffered my first motorcycle defeat... If you remember, I wanted to fill in the Honda wings and Honda logo indentions on my tank with weld bead. I needed to use metal because I wanted to get the tank coated in alumicoat--which goes on like a powdercoat. I had to fill in the indentions because I was going to put my own logo on it. Well, I could not get anything really to work right, so it looks like I will have to use body filler and paint it.

Sucks...bad.

So the colors I'm considering now are:

1.) MINI cream with a black offset stripe
2.) Black with a MINI cream offset stripe
3.) Brittish racing green
4.) Brittish racing green with a MINI cream stripe (offset)

The frame will be black. What colors do you think?

--Chris

Re: Chris' Cafe build (06.12.07)

Hey Chris... go matte black!!
;D

If I were you - or rather if that was my tank - I'd try and salvage nan's tablecloth (the flower print on the top 8))

Funny, but I think it makes the bike look like a rat-rod - mismatched parts and what not... Paint everything else black, shine up the motor, and rock out the flower pattern!!!

Hey man, the bike is turning out killer !
I dig the overall stance, and especially the pipes.
As far as paint, you cant go wrong with some sorta green (i am kinda biased)..
Whatever you do , dont paint it black. A bike with that much labor involved def. deserves some sorta color..

Thanks guys! My car project is 100% flat black, so I don't really want to flat black it again. Plus, it is a real pain in the ass to shoot. You basically get one shot to get the clearcoat right. Gloss black tank with flat black knee inserts looks insane though.

Sadly, the doyly has been soiled with aircraft stripper. So it must go!

I'm now kinda leaning to Creme w/ black stripes or metalic BRG w/ creme stripes. TBH, I really like the idea of a cream tank with everything else gloss black. It is one color combo I've never seen before...well, maybe I know why.

--Chris

That's too bad - I've been following your build and hoping you were keeping the tank. 8)

I'm having a hard time picturing what exactly the cream would look like - but I'm sure it'd be cool.

What's the Car project? I like anything flat black - got any pics?

chrisf said:
I'm now kinda leaning to Creme w/ black stripes or metalic BRG w/ creme stripes. TBH, I really like the idea of a cream tank with everything else gloss black. It is one color combo I've never seen before...well, maybe I know why.

--Chris

That'll look amazing...

Re: Chris' Cafe build (07.10.07)

With vacations and work travel, I have not gotten to work on my bike as much as I'd like. However, I had some free time at work today so I cut some video I made during an autocross earlier this year. The car was 100% made by me; it's not a kit. I think I spoke of it before, but as a reminder, it uses a 1998 Honda CBR900RR motor. Hope you enjoy.

http://www.fiaccone.com/AutoX1.html

On a plus note, i think I'm finally going to buy a good Miller TIG welder. Then, I can make some really cool stuff.

--Chris

Woah! A sweet bike AND a Miata based (I'm assuming from the wheels) CBR900RR powered 7 clone!!!! I want your toys!!!! I autox my 87 CRX in EP, btw...

chrisf said:
With vacations and work travel, I have not gotten to work on my bike as much as I'd like. However, I had some free time at work today so I cut some video I made during an autocross earlier this year. The car was 100% made by me; it's not a kit. I think I spoke of it before, but as a reminder, it uses a 1998 Honda CBR900RR motor. Hope you enjoy.

http://www.fiaccone.com/AutoX1.html

On a plus note, i think I'm finally going to buy a good Miller TIG welder. Then, I can make some really cool stuff.

--Chris

That's a d*mn cool looking bike AND car. Even more impressive that you built it yourself. I checked out your website and noticed that we are pretty much next door neighbors. I live in The Colony. :eek:

Nice job, I'm just getting started on my CB350 so I'll visit your website for tips along the way.
I love the pipes, did you make them or buy?
Thanks,
Bruce

Re: Chris' Cafe build (07.18.07)

First, I'm struggling to come up with a good MotoFiaccone logo. Have a look to the left and see if you have any ideas. I'd like it to be art-deco if possible. Any help is appreciated.

OK, so painting begins tonight. Many thanks Mysta2! I settled on the colors: gloss black frame; BMW (MINI) Pepper white (cream) on the tank. There will be an offset black stripe down the tank. The headlight will be cream with a black bezel.

I updated my website, so have a look! There are much better descriptions of what I did there.

Old tank. Don't try welding on a trank when it's full of water. It shrinks as it cools.
OldTank.jpg

New tank.
NewTank.jpg

Etching new tank
EtchedTank.jpg

Stripped new tank. This has been smoothed out with body filler.
TankStripped.jpg

And another.
TankStripped2.jpg

Stripped underside with Bix chemical stripper (Again, thanks Mysta2).
Underside.jpg

I had to weld this lip of the tank because my seat fits over this. Body filler smoothed it out.
TankLip.jpg

Sanded headlight, ready for paint.
HeadlightSanded.jpg

Frame ready for paint. I f_cking hate that I sanded the welds on this--forcing me to use body filler :(
FrameReady.jpg

My messy garage as I work.
MessyGarage.jpg

Wish me luck tonight!

Back
Top Bottom