'86 Interceptor 2 smoke project

eyhonda said:
Hey Scott! Haven't heard from you about any parts you needed. Still have the ignition switch & key I saved for you.
I had to stop with the bike for awhile, but I'm back at it. Maybe this weekend, if your around, I can stop by and pick that up?

So I screwed up the left foot peg bracket and had to order another one. It should show up in the mail tomorrow. I can then mount the left foot peg and shift linkage and be done with that. After I get the key next weekend, I can then do all the wiring for this thing. As far as the exhaust goes, I modified something from a 400cc dirt bike that I hope works. I just need to weld one more thing, and it's done. It's pretty ghetto, but it'll work for now. I'm going to then have someone make the throttle cable and clutch cable for me, and install. After that, it's pretty much ready to go.... Except for the lighting coil. But I figured, let's get this thing running first ;)

interceptor said:
The inside looks a lot like my old Blaster silencer. So I took the center tube piece, drilled holes in it, and then went to a local store and bought stainless steel pads for washing dishes and shoved that in there around the tube I drilled holes in. I saw a guy do this on YouTube that builds race bike exhaust systems. He says it works, and it was only like $3. And it's super easy to take apart and clean and/or replace the stainless steel.

Stainless steel doesn't do much to quiet things down. Fiberglass or rockwool (basalt) works a lot better at attenuating higher frequencies and makes a quieter/nicer sounding exhaust.

Thanks DesmoDog. I am cheap and was just trying to get away with not spending too much ::) I did receive the left foot bracket and installed that on Tuesday. Everything bolts right up to the YZ engine, so at least I don't have to dick with that. One more thing off the checklist!

Why do you have to make a throttle cable? Sorry too lazy (& busy) to check history. Anyway, if you just need to shorten an existing cable, I can do that. If you need a complete new custom cable, I may be able to do that depending on length and ends. I have new large cable ends (most modern style) for the carb side. They can be modded to fit the throttle side. I don't have the small carb cable ends (vintage style). I suppose I can buy the ends you need in a kit. Making it isn't that hard really.

Today I made a mold to start making some cable ends. Worked out really well and I feel comfortable doing it now. With that being said, I made a throttle cable today for the bike. I used the old cable for this one. I left the small tit on the end thats used at the carb side and did my stuff on the other end. Installed it and it works beautifully. Now time for the clutch cable :)

interceptor said:
I installed my new chain this morning and thankfully it went on with no surprises. When I sit on the bike, the chain is nowhere near the frame, so I feel a little safer. I adjusted the chain so there is an inch and a half of slack.

OK, the correct thing to do is get the centreline of swing arm pivot, rear axle and transmission output shaft in line and set chain to around 5/8" slack. (when they are all lined up chain is in tightest position)
Because the front sprocket is so far ahead of swing arm pivot you will have pretty big variations in chain slack as suspension moves up and down
It looks to me like wheel needs to go up about an inch to get all 3 in line?

PJ, that makes sense. I`ll have to look at it on Monday, but that sounds about right. Thanks for the info :)
I`m really happy I got the throttle and clutch cables done. I can`t believe I actually did it myself. It`s probably so simple for most, but I was really struggling on getting it to actually work. With these two things done, I can now move onto the wiring. Right now its getting the dirtbike wiring. Later, it`ll be wired for lights and blinkers, etc.
I have an exhaust system I am putting together. But ultimately, I need something built to maxamize power. If by some miracle this system works, I will use it, but I`m nit expecting the moon here. I`ll post a picture when it`s all welded up and installed.

I found all the pieces to put my tank back together today. So with that done, its one step closer to running. I welded the last piece of the pipe on today and need to make some mounting brackets. Here`s a picture of the exhaust i modified to work on the bike. It comes from a 400 cc dirtbikr, but I forget which one.

Attachments

• CAM02584.jpg
    CAM02584.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 299
Not criticizing (oh yes I am), just curious, how much design went into that expansion chamber?

There is some serious science to getting the most out of a 2-stroke engine by careful design of an expansion chamber.

But you already knew that, right?

Project is coming along nicely!

Thanks grandpaul. The exhaust is something that I will have to have somebody make in the future. As of right now, I just want this thing to run and if the exhaust somewhat works, I can live with it for now. But to optimize the power at a certain RPM range.... I can't do that. I have absolutely no knowledge of building two stroke pipes. In theory, I know how they work, but to actually build one.... nope :eek: I am hoping that since the pipe is from a 400cc engine, that it may be close? It was considered a race pipe when I bought it. I have it mounted right now, and should be done soon. I am looking forward to firing it up and hearing it run again ;)

In my experience, a 250 pipe on a 400 gives a lot more power because the bigger motor is normally tuned for a wider spread and has more torque so can afford to 'lose' a little top end. (the porting needs radical modification to get the same 'hit' as a 250 but then you have a load more 'go' as well) It can make bike very 'exciting' to ride when it comes 'on the pipe' but also great fun ;)
My street-legal DT400MX would easily out accelerate a 'full race' Kawasaki KX420, even though I had battery, lights and much heavier parts plus stock carb. It would rev much much higher which wore out parts faster though (max power around 8k instead of 5k)
That pipe doesn't have much 'shape', probably designed for max power spread instead of max power?

Now you tell me ::) When I had my RM250, the FMF pipe on that was huge. Probably like 6" diameter in the widest spot. This is maybe 4 inches? It should be a little tamer than that FMF pipe ;) That bike was crazy fast!!

interceptor said:
As of right now, I just want this thing to run and if the exhaust somewhat works, I can live with it for now.

No worries, I know EXACTLY the feeling!

interceptor said:
Now you tell me ::) When I had my RM250, the FMF pipe on that was huge. Probably like 6" diameter in the widest spot. This is maybe 4 inches? It should be a little tamer than that FMF pipe ;) That bike was crazy fast!!

Sorry, hadn't thought about my 400 for years, even after reading through thread I didn't think about the mods I made until last night for some reason?
The YZ400 already has a larger carb and more 'radical' porting than a DT so a 'fatter' pipe should really wake up a 'street' version. I would think you'll have to go down a few sizes on main jet?

Perusing CL today and I run across this:
https://detroit.craigslist.org/okl/mcy/d/rochester-1986-honda-interceptor-500/6850407561.html

Is it yours?

Back
Top Bottom