1984 Yamaha FJ 600- Rise of "The Mighty Jig"

Don't give up on the ol' girl!

Here's some inspiration for you....This is my girlfriend's '85 FJ600. Purchased from the original owner about 5 years ago with a stack full of service records, receipts, owners manual, tool kit...even a set of genuine Yamaha saddle bags that are color matched!
Amazing bike and fast as hell. It was the world's fastest 600cc production bike in 1985.

P2010093.jpg

P2010094.jpg

Photo0446.jpg

Check out xjbikes.com . Good forums for these bikes (the FJ was an XJ in Europe and the engine is basically the same as many of the other XJ models).

Also, you mentioned something about the bars.... Did you know you can swap in a Radian top triple tree? It has risers and you can run almost any handlebar, then.

I changed out the clutch cable and was happy to see that the clutch assembly is much smooter than I originally thought. Moved on to the great Carb Swap. I yanked out the FJ's with no problem, and inspected them to see what I would need for the FZ carbs that a Facebook friend gave me. Well, one significant difference is that it appears the FZ originally had a 3-prong gas intake piping arrangement versus the FJ's original single gas intake. So, it's back to the Microfiche world to see what it'll take to upgrade...beyond a few exta lenghts of fuel piping. I'm guessing/hoping a one-in-three-out fitting exists?

Minor setback. In trying to see what was in the front brake reservoir, the cover screw stripped. Ok, no problem....I tried using a screw extractor. Nope. Didn't work. So, I started drilling. I drilled out enough that I was able to remove the cover and the gasket. Any leftover brake fluid has, well, turned to a white dusty powder. I shop-vacc-ed that out. Back to the stripped screw. I shot it with Liquid Wrench and let it sit for a good while. Then I went back at it with the smallest screw extractor. I thought I was making progress, when SNAP! As you can see from the picture, the hole on the left is now filled with a just-about-undrillable-hardened-steel-broken-screw-ectractor bit. Not that the reservoir, not any lines coming to it apear to be salvagable, due to the sublimation of the brake fluid to a brake solid. A run to Pro Class (the local bike junkyard) is on the weekend schedule, since this style of brake was used by Yamaha quite a bit:
stuff002.jpg

Pet Peeve: fittings. There's is an underwhelming selection of available metric fittings in this town (Richmond VA). I have a "kit" on the way to me from Amazon that gives me an assortment that may or may not be useful. What's shown is an exhaust stud (Yamaha part number 90116-06466-00) that goes for $1.81 a piece. Above is a hex-head metric machine screw that I believe would work for securing the exhaust header that I got from Lowe's for $2.07 a pair ($1.035 each). By using this I would also eliminate the nut (Yamaha part number 90179-06500-00) at $2.02 each. Now, I've cleaned up the fittinngs I have, but after 27 years on the job (accompanying rust), I think they deserve a retirement. What I want to know is this: how "special" are the fittings I'm retiring? Are they treated for such high-temp use such that everyday fittings would buckel and disintigrate, or have I fugured out the dirty little secret of nuts and bolts?
stuff005.jpg

The exhaust header, awaiting the aforementioned fittings. looks brand new, and is painted with the appropriate header paint
stuff006.jpg

The old carbs from the FJ. Maybe this winter, if all goes well, I'll clean em up, slap them on ebay and see what happens.
stuff007.jpg

A little retrospect on how this project is proceeding.
First, I finally received the title from PA. I had forgotten BITD that I titled it to my soon-to-be-x's-parent's house that eventually was forclosed on. I'm surprised I wasn't told to surrender the bike against back property liens!

Second, I did a little more research on the exhaust stems, and at the end of the day, I don't want to compromise the design intent, especially since Yamaha made one side of the stems M7, and the other side M6. Nice... So, Bike Bandit got the OEM business along with an red anodized aluminum fuel filter, some clear red fuel line and, because insurance is a wonderful thing, KREEM for the tank.
Another thing I bought along the way is a proper adjutible fork seal driver. The Scrapple II project has a pair of post-77 forks that were given to me, so I'll try to get to those first. This is something I HAVE to to learn how to do correctly if I'm going to eventally have 4 running bikes.

I've got one of those brake units if you need it. It just doesn't have the hole to screw in a mirror. You may be able to morph them into one unit...Email me if u need it man.

Check out my profile pic..Just added a filter myself but went with the clear blue line..It looks awesome under my white leds at night.. The Jig is coming together nicely.

Griff5268 said:
I've got one of those brake units if you need it. It just doesn't have the hole to screw in a mirror. You may be able to morph them into one unit...Email me if u need it man.
I have an ongoing bid for one on ebay, but I will definitely get back to you on that. Thanks!

Hell, just pay me for the shipping and this one's yours.. Let me know if ebay falls through.

Kickeroo, where in RVA are you? I was in Midlo and just moved to Powhatan and have a 86 Radian. I'd love to swing by or at least offer moral support, parts comparisons, etc if you need it. Having a live running bike can be a great thing when rebuilding to compare components to.

Aaron

Nevermind...I just checked your profile and saw you are in the Reams Rd area. I am in that area quite often...let me know if you need a hand. You are a member of the Facebook group, RVA Cafe Moto Culture, right? Good info and contacts on there as well.

Aaron

regal7point5 said:
Kickeroo, where in RVA are you? I was in Midlo and just moved to Powhatan and have a 86 Radian. I'd love to swing by or at least offer moral support, parts comparisons, etc if you need it. Having a live running bike can be a great thing when rebuilding to compare components to.

Aaron

I'm just off of Reams Road in Chesterfield, if that helps.

Kickeroo said:
I changed out the clutch cable and was happy to see that the clutch assembly is much smooter than I originally thought. Moved on to the great Carb Swap. I yanked out the FJ's with no problem, and inspected them to see what I would need for the FZ carbs that a Facebook friend gave me. Well, one significant difference is that it appears the FZ originally had a 3-prong gas intake piping arrangement versus the FJ's original single gas intake. So, it's back to the Microfiche world to see what it'll take to upgrade...beyond a few exta lenghts of fuel piping. I'm guessing/hoping a one-in-three-out fitting exists?
Yeah.... I didn't know what I was talking about.

Anyhooo....well it turns out that FZ 600's had 30mm carbs, and Good ol' FJ 600's had 32mm Mikunis. Well then, that makes for some fitting issues I'm not too crazy about...so.....my old carbs are currently having a Simple Green soaking. I'll rinse and dry them as best as I can, and if all goes swimmingly, then I'll move on to the rear swingarm and replacing fork seals.

Other news...info trail on the 'net tells me that FZ racers back in the day often swapped ou their 30mm carbs for the 32mm carbs I have. So I have THAT going for me, which is nice.

Ok....when I swapped out the relays gave a momentary push of the starter button, the starter cranked.
Now, with everything plumbed up (carbs, tank, etc). i push the button, I get a clicking from the relay, and nothing from the starter.
HELP!!!!!!!

sounds like insufficient amperage from battery to crank engine against compression.

Is it possible that your test crank had the spark plugs removed?

Other possibility is too much resistance in the solenoid. Try carefully shorting the 2 main solenoid (starter relay) wires with a screwdriver.

If the starter jumps when you short, it's the relay (solenoid). If it still doesn't, then it is likely the battery.

Could also be the ground wire. The battery usually grounds to the frame while the starter grounds through the engine cases. Check ground strap between engine and frame as well as all ground connections for corrosion.

SUCESS!!! (ish). Checked all of the grounds I could find, cleaned them. Gave a polite tapping to the dodgy flash-relay unitl the neutral light came on. And so...she cranked! ....but didn't start. :(
I sprayed in a few puffs of started spray. I got a few pops, but no real ignition. :-\
My fuel lines are a bit long and I saw that the one after the fuel filter I put in was kinking, so I'll adjust that in a bit.
All in all I'm encouraged. 8)

Carb kits ordered, and professional help has been recruited.
Onto fork seals, brakes, chain, tires and replacing all of the bearings and fitting in the wheels, and swingarm.

Back
Top Bottom