1970 Greeves Griffon *VIDEO ADDED* With Questions

johnu

Over 1,000 Posts
DTT BOTM WINNER
I couldn't resist when I saw this bike for sale ;) It is a one owner bike that has sat in a barn for more than 25 years and it is 100% original aside from the plastic fenders. I will be restoring it back to as new condition and stock aside from most likely Hagon shocks. I plan on racing it in Vintage MX. This will go nicely with my 1960 Greeves Scottish trials bike, then all I need is a Greeves Silverstone roadracer and I will have a nice set ;)

Now I am looking for a cheap shipping company to get the bike from Colorado to California, anyone know of any good shippers?

Attachments

• $_12.JPG
    $_12.JPG
    29.9 KB · Views: 1,867
Re: 1970 Greeves Griffon

Still can't find a moderately priced shipper, they all want around $600, may have to drive 900 miles each way to Colorado to pick the bike up :(

It should look like the bike in the picture when I get it finished.

Attachments

• gdays17.JPG
    gdays17.JPG
    217 KB · Views: 1,657

Have you tried uship!

Cool bike John

Rich Ard said:
Have you tried uship!

Cool bike John

Funny you should say that (and thanks for the suggestion) as I just got a bid from uship to do it for $325.

Ok got the California title today, man I hate dealing with those imbeciles at the DMV, I think I know more about their job than they do. Here's the bike next to it's older cousin ready to to start the full resto.

Attachments

• photo 1.JPG
    photo 1.JPG
    689.9 KB · Views: 460

Got my frame repaired and powder coated. Now to rebuild the forks :)

Attachments

• photo (15).JPG
    photo (15).JPG
    129.7 KB · Views: 1,528

And starting work on the tank!

Attachments

• photo (28).JPG
    photo (28).JPG
    44.9 KB · Views: 4,603

Looking forward to seeing how this progresses. The uShip process went OK? I'll be using the service myself at some point in the spring.

Tim said:
Looking forward to seeing how this progresses. The uShip process went OK? I'll be using the service myself at some point in the spring.

Uship worked great!

Nice project. I think your collection needs a Silverstone or Oulton road racer :)

I really would like to pick up a Silverstone at some point. I am guessing they are pretty rare here in the States but I can always get my dad to source one back in the UK and ship it to me.

Sounds like a plan to me. They were so cheap when they were around and not so much anymore but they are so simple and light. Crazy little bikes with a similar Villiers motor.

Shocks and forks are in!

Attachments

• photo 1 (6) (800x600).jpg
    photo 1 (6) (800x600).jpg
    296.7 KB · Views: 435

Not much progress, got the footrests back on and started reassembling the bottom end. Getting bored with restoration, I prefer building specials.

Attachments

• 92bbee93c0944766a22ed8b503d16fa4.jpg
    92bbee93c0944766a22ed8b503d16fa4.jpg
    474.6 KB · Views: 382

johnu said:
Not much progress, got the footrests back on and started reassembling the bottom end. Getting bored with restoration, I prefer building specials.
This one seems pretty special. I've never seen one before.

Clem, they are pretty rare in the US, I have a cousin of this one also a 1960 trials model (pictured). I might try to pick up the road racer too which is really rare here in the states. Might have to get my dad looking for one back in the UK.

Attachments

• DSCN0989.JPG
    DSCN0989.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 403

I know what you mean about the Silverstone's rarity. The only one I see regularly here in Canada is Stan Nicholson's. He races it in the VRRA series - has done for many years. He brought it - and his TD2 Yamaha production road racer - when he emigrated from Blighty in about '68 or so...
A friend of mine has a Greeves frame and running gear stashed in the attic of his shop and I kidded him about putting a Honda motor in it to go vintage road racing, but he doesn't seem too interested and anyway, a DPO managed to break the aluminium down tube, so pretty major repairs to get it going.
Neat bikes - I watched them win races in the dirt so long ago, motocross was still called scrambles. One fellow I know had one with a 500 Triumph twin in it, done up like a Six Days ISDT bike. Found out years later it was a relatively common conversion at the time.
Ahh, the sixties; thanks for the memories.
Have a Happy Holiday Season and a Prosperous 2015.
Pat

Back
Top Bottom