Yamaha SR250 - A clean standard build

JadusMotorcycleParts said:
A better brake would be awesome actually. Pretty pricy though I think?
Probably way too late for you on this project, but I have seen where the Yam XV250 Virago whole front end will fit on to the SR250 with an AllBalls kit. Then you get a front disk brake and 33 mm fork tubes, but you would still have an 18" spoke rim.

Very interesting prototyping! Let us know when/where you decide to market your finalized parts.

Yeah too late now, but goods tips for any future SR250 builds. That would have been mint. I think thats the same conversion I did for my DT400 project actually - so I could get the single front disc instead of the ratty drum brake.

Will put up a link to a webshop when parts are made and ready to sell ;D

Couple things today... received a nice photo from my exhaust contact - hoping to receive it in the mail before the end of the week if he sends it today. Plus testing out the battery box prototype in aluminium - got a couple of things that need adjusting if I were to make an order. Then I got thinking where I would like to re-locate the ignition too... I think somewhere up the front in the front of the tank. Looks cool there.

Attachments

• IMG_6630.JPG
    IMG_6630.JPG
    2.7 MB · Views: 666
  • IMG_6621.JPG
    IMG_6621.JPG
    2.5 MB · Views: 643
  • IMG_6619.jpg
    IMG_6619.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 632
  • IMG_6622.JPG
    IMG_6622.JPG
    942.4 KB · Views: 637
  • IMG_6607.JPG
    IMG_6607.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 660
Finally got to test fit the exhaust. I like the look and shape - I think the bends and lines work with the engine and frame nicely. If I were to order in bulk to be able to sell them I would make a few small adjustments but these will be slick headers! The only aftermarket one for the SR250 that I know of?

Also, spent a lot of time fixing my mates scooter. Damn I hate scooters. It had about 60psi of compression and stuffing some oil in the plug hole bought it up to 80psi so it could run for a minute or so. So I suspected bad rings or cylinder wear. But when I opened to valve cover it turned out just to be a tight exhaust valve that wasn't closing properly (bad service from the last dude that worked on it I suspect). Once that was set straight the compression came up to 120. Just good enough to run for another season or so!

Also got to test the ignition relocation bracket I prototyped. Would there be any interest for these? Rekon it looks/will look quite nifty ;)

Attachments

• IMG_6696.JPG
    IMG_6696.JPG
    2.9 MB · Views: 659
  • IMG_6812.JPG
    IMG_6812.JPG
    3 MB · Views: 664
  • IMG_6746.JPG
    IMG_6746.JPG
    2.8 MB · Views: 763
  • IMG_6743.JPG
    IMG_6743.JPG
    2.7 MB · Views: 705
  • IMG_6741.jpg
    IMG_6741.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 683
Bike is looking great. Love the look of the front wheel! I'm sure you'll get a few haters on the performance tho. So it's a stock sr250 rear rim on the front right? How did you measure for spokes?

That front wheel has some serious attitude. That is the one thing that I have been pondering since I started tinkering with my 81 SR several months ago.... You seem to have found an amazing looking solution, although I am still curious about the performance. A+ on appearance! Can't wait to see how it turns out....

Re: Yamaha SR250 - 16 inch front wheel

Yus! Got the 120/90 metzler front tyre (actually a rear running in reverse) fitted yesterday and it looks dope. All chunky like.
Did the front tire choice force shaving the OEM front fender mounts? it looks like the tire might still be touching the fork legs, and may be why I'd heard that the largest practical front tire size is 100/90-18.

Re: Yamaha SR250 - 16 inch front wheel

zap2504 said:
Did the front tire choice force shaving the OEM front fender mounts? it looks like the tire might still be touching the fork legs, and may be why I'd heard that the largest practical front tire size is 100/90-18.

No, actually the 120 tyre would have fit with the fender mounts in place. However, the fender would not have. If you wanted to use the fender mounts to actually mount a fender with the 120 tyre, you would have to make some custom brackets to clear it.

And no, the 120 tyre is not even close to touching the fork legs. In fact, I wish I had ordered a 130 tyre for it and it would have looked even more badass. Because the thing is, the options for 120 front tyes is very slim, while there are many options for 130mm front tyres - due to harleys and other japanese cruisers.

I also know that a 4.00 - 19 front tyre will fit. It just looks a little goofy!

Shawzie said:
Bike is looking great. Love the look of the front wheel! I'm sure you'll get a few haters on the performance tho. So it's a stock sr250 rear rim on the front right? How did you measure for spokes?

I dont understand the haters. Are they just wanting to hate? Or do they have a genuine concern for my safety when riding this motorcycle with a 16'' front wheel? At the end of the day, we are talking about a bike with 239cc's and between 17-20rwhp depending on which model. Really that dangerous? I have seen many bikes with a 16'' front wheel, even race bikes. Even down to 15''! So I am sure it will be no problem ;) The front end of this try hard chopper (stock) has so much rake in it that dropping the front end and raising the rear will improve the handling capabilities anyway. Also, if you are ever interested/wanting to check tyre comparrisons, check out this comparison tool. It even has a visualiser which is really neat. The diameter difference between stock and the new tyre are not much at all ;D

https://www.tacomaworld.com/tirecalc?tires=90-90r19-120-90r16

As for the spokes, it was a percentage calculation I did to get the right lengths and angles. I messed it up once but then adjusted and ordered again. Now they are perfect. Thats the way R&D goes I guess. I will be selling these spoke kits on a webstore soon if you are interested? I could send you one of the first kits that I get?

It may be more of a concern for the greater amount of front tire weight creating a greater gyroscopic force. Regardless, looking forward to actual riding tests to see how this new combination works out.

And looking forward to the availability of specialty SR250 parts (especially the header and front fork brace/fender)! Given the long world-wide model run, you might have a winning product line.

As I was welding my stainless header last night, as much as I love fabrication, I would have preferred to just buy one.

Thanks for the support/interest. I am just confirming some final changes then the exhaust headers will be ready for sale. I will be able to sell them for around 145euro - which is around the price you would pay for a header for the SR400. Except I personally know my supplier and the materials and processes he uses, rather than ordering from a factory on the other side of the world where I cannot control the quality or the materials ;)

Got some time in the workshop the last couple days and moulded up a fiberglass seat pan and started to shape the foam. Eventually, once the prototyping is sorted and if it comes out any good, I will pay for some tooling to be made to make a small series production run of it. In the beginning it will be very labour intensive to create the seats but I am still hoping to produce them for a competitive price :)

Attachments

• IMG_6400.JPG
    IMG_6400.JPG
    2.6 MB · Views: 657
  • IMG_6398.JPG
    IMG_6398.JPG
    2.1 MB · Views: 652
  • IMG_6396.JPG
    IMG_6396.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 650
  • IMG_6394.JPG
    IMG_6394.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 671
I dont understand the haters. Are they just wanting to hate? Or do they have a genuine concern for my safety when riding this motorcycle with a 16'' front wheel? At the end of the day, we are talking about a bike with 239cc's and between 17-20rwhp depending on which model. Really that dangerous? I have seen many bikes with a 16'' front wheel, even race bikes. Even down to 15''! So I am sure it will be no problem ;) The front end of this try hard chopper (stock) has so much rake in it that dropping the front end and raising the rear will improve the handling capabilities anyway. Also, if you are ever interested/wanting to check tyre comparrisons, check out this comparison tool. It even has a visualiser which is really neat. The diameter difference between stock and the new tyre are not much at all ;D

https://www.tacomaworld.com/tirecalc?tires=90-90r19-120-90r16

As for the spokes, it was a percentage calculation I did to get the right lengths and angles. I messed it up once but then adjusted and ordered again. Now they are perfect. Thats the way R&D goes I guess. I will be selling these spoke kits on a webstore soon if you are interested? I could send you one of the first kits that I get?
I'm not against big tires at all. I think they look cool. And I agree. On a 20hp bike at best. What's the difference anyway. I have lowered the forks on mine about 2" and I completely agree it wakes it up a bit. I would be very interested in a spoke kit once available. Same with a fork brace. Anyway, great looking bike. Very interested in how it turns out

Thanks for the support/interest. I am just confirming some final changes then the exhaust headers will be ready for sale. I will be able to sell them for around 145euro - which is around the price you would pay for a header for the SR400.

I paid $90 CDN for a just a J bend of stainless from Lordco. After cutting it, welding it, polishing it, messing around with it....yeah $145euro is fantastic as long as the shipping isn't 200euro lol.

I am just confirming some final changes then the exhaust headers will be ready for sale. I will be able to sell them for around 145euro - which is around the price you would pay for a header for the SR400. Except I personally know my supplier and the materials and processes he uses, rather than ordering from a factory on the other side of the world where I cannot control the quality or the materials ;)

Suggestion - contact MikesXS (http://www.mikesxs.net/) to see if they would be a distributor of your SR250 parts in North America since they are already an established organization with very good reputation.

MikesXS only deal in the United States. They don't ship to Canada or Mexico. Not shipping to Canada is like saying "We don't ship to California." Shipping from America is sometimes double what is is from the Eurozone. And it is trucked by land...

MikesXS uses xs650direct.com as a Canadian distributor. They don't carry SR parts.

"As a distributor" not THE distributor. It's far easier to hook up to an established retailer than try to create your own marketing channel. MikesXS doesn't carry SR250 parts either, but they do carry SR500 parts so it should not be a stretch. Maybe XS650 Direct would also expand their product line.

Interesting suggestion with MikesXS. I have bought many parts from them over the years - many of the universal parts have been good for my projects.

I finished shaping up the foam of the seat and covered it with a thin sheet foam to smooth things over. I like this shape a lot more than the last. When I start production of this seat I will tweak it slightly once again - just some of the angles are not quite right. Also saw a seat I like the look of so will take that picture to the upholsterer.

Attachments

• IMG_6405.JPG
    IMG_6405.JPG
    2.3 MB · Views: 751
  • IMG_6408.JPG
    IMG_6408.JPG
    2.5 MB · Views: 659
  • IMG_6409.JPG
    IMG_6409.JPG
    2.7 MB · Views: 646
  • IMG_6489.JPG
    IMG_6489.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 619
  • IMG_6491.JPG
    IMG_6491.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 637
  • IMG_6492.JPG
    IMG_6492.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 644
  • IMG_6440.JPG
    IMG_6440.JPG
    2.4 MB · Views: 626
I finished shaping up the foam of the seat and covered it with a thin sheet foam to smooth things over. I like this shape a lot more than the last. When I start production of this seat I will tweak it slightly once again - just some of the angles are not quite right. Also saw a seat I like the look of so will take that picture to the upholsterer.

Did you give it a "test sit" for an extended time? It looks to me like the upper part that would actually provide the most support is fairly narrow and I would be suspect of the sharp transition angles on the sides.
See:
http://www.diymotorcycleseat.com/comfort.htm

http://www.diymotorcycleseat.com/modify_2.htm

http://www.diymotorcycleseat.com/modify_3.htm

Back
Top Bottom