180ish pounds, 20hp, what size drum?

cb100cafe

Been Around the Block
I'm building a cb100 frame cafe racer with a xl185 motor. I'm build quite a few of these to be honest. I have a cb125 mechanical disc brake setup and fork setup on one bike. I'm going test it out vs the drum setups. The stock cb100 setup is a tiny 110mm drum. I can get my hands on and plan on buying anyways a few 200mm drum setups. However I know that the 180mm drum honda 350 rim will work, and the 160mm cl175 setup will work. All are at my disposal and options are plenty. I suspect the 160mm will bolt right up and possibly the 350mm 180mm setup. I plan on doing some vintage racing possibly at some point and i'm grabbing the 200mm setups for that idea but I also like having the option of a large drum setup on the cafe racer. I like the look of the drum better than the caliper and the mechanical disk setup is known to stick from time to time. Considering the mechanical caliper disc setup is complete I don't mind building a few nice drum setups with aluminum wheels. The catch with the 200mm drum setups is that the rims will be too wide for the front fork setup on these bikes so i'm going to have to build a setup anyways. Also I have to see how they fit between the forks but I have a few fork options. I'd consider the 160mm drum setup because the rim is the right size. I think my main concern is over killl and unsprung weight. The aluminum rims will help with the 200mm drums and they could be lightened a bit. I'm not going to complain about options.

Seemingly i'm thinking T500 hub, cb77 plate and a aluminum rim. Should be a nice setup to say the least and i can get the parts at very good prices. It's not bolt on but I can make it work.

As far as drum setups? Bigger is allways better? don't mind the additional weight? and be happy? With a 200mm drum setup i doubt I be using the rear brake that much and that was the plan so bigger = better in my mind.

Bigger is also better because my street cb is going to be a bit crazy with the motor setup and it's going to have a supercharger. The motor and supercharger setup is kept quiet for now. Power to weight ratio is on par with most modern day street bikes.

Back
Top Bottom