CB350 Cables for Clubmans

COOKtheKILLA

1973 CB350K4
I've recently installed clubman handlebars on my 1973 CB350K4. These exactly for refrence:

http://www.thealphamoto.com/Chrome-Cafe-Racer-Clubman-handlebar-mirr-p/rmi-mr-908.htm

I need shorter cables for clutch, brake, and throttle. I have found that dime city cycles sells a shorter throttle cable (http://www.dimecitycycles.com/vintage-cafe-racer-caferacer-bobber-brat-chopper-custom-motorcycle-cables-honda-cb350-cl350-throttle-cable-452-0000.html) that will work.

I would like to know if any of you have any knowledge where to get the shorter brake and clutch cables. I do not want to pay Motion Pro for custom cables but I will if I have to. From my measurements the CLUTCH CABLE needs to be 6-8 inches shorter than current cable. (stock=47"). And the brake cable needs to be 12-14 inches shorter than current cable (stock=48.25").

I am assuming that the cables on my bike are stock length but I could be wrong. Please let me know your experience with cables and if any of my information is incorrect. Thanks!

Any good small engine shop can make cables. So can most indie shops if they have a decent mechanic/parts guy. Motion Pro cables are straight up garbage. Send your info to Barnett if you can't get cables made locally. A lot more expensive than Motion Pro but 1000% better quality.

I was going to have to have cables made for my 1963 CL project, but found a roll of stainless steel core wire braid in my junk pile. A quick trip to Lowes for a cable kit and a visit with a crimper... Aluminum barrels that crimp on. Kit is inexpensive, so is the crimper, making your own is not that difficult. Cut down your outer sleeve, run a new core and new ends.

Thanks Scruffy. I'll look into making my own for sure. I have heard many good things about motion pro but I'll take your word under consideration for sure. I would like to know if there are cables out there made for other bikes that are the correct length. I know there are others out there who have clubmans and would like to know what they used.

I have been in the industry off and on since 1987. I've broken more Motion Pro cables than I care to think about... they tend to snap at the barrel unless you use cables originally designed for bigger bikes. My high bar Savage for example uses a VN800A clutch cable and a CB 750 or 900 throttle cable. No problems to date with the throttle side, but I have broken 2 clutch cables... Next time I break one I'll make a new core from 1/8" braided stainless and crimp on barrels.

The little 250 project still has stock cables, they worked fine going from factory cross braced motorcross style bars to the several inches lower tracker bar. Except the front brake cable, too short with the GT TLS front wheel swap. Gonna have to make a new one for that.

Ok. I'll be researching "how to" for making my own cables. It seems like that may be the best routeas far as quality and price go. If you have recommendations and hints/tips/tricks they all would be greatly appreciated. I'll probably take a crack at it when I have some time Tuesday this week. Thanks again for your help.

Lots of vids on you tube. Which does me no good since the speaker/volume icon on my computer disappeared...

Scruffy said:
Lots of vids on you tube. Which does me no good since the speaker/volume icon on my computer disappeared...

If its a Windows machine, you should be able to access it from the Control Panel.

Tried it, they've vanished. My wife was 2 classes away from an IT/MIS master's degree, damn laptop stumped her too... the speaker control is flat out gone.

Scruffy,

I'm having trouble finding any information on how to make cables using any method other than solder. I see you speak of crimp on barrels and finding the parts at lowes. I know lowes carries the cables but I didn't see any other parts I need. Please help me with these parts and possibly a little rundown on "how to". I plan on making a video if this works well to share with others in need of shorter, and more reliable cables we can build on our own. Thanks

I'll have to look next time I'm at Lowes or Home Depot. I ran out of ends last year and haven't restocked. The end pieces should be in the same area as the cable stock and fittings. Little packages of aluminum rod with holes drilled through them. The crimper looks like the same kind you use for making battery cables, put the fitting in the block, feed the cable through, flip the block closed, smack it with a hammer. It squashes the aluminum around the core like a set of wire crimpers, just with a lot more force.

They should have them with the hole parallel to the cable and perpendicular to the cable. They used to be a commonly stocked item.

You can also make ends with brass or copper tubing, but unless you have a lead melting pot already it's pricey...

If you can take pictures of the crimpers and ends that would be awesome. Any information on those parts would help as I don't really know what I'm looking for and neither does any of the Lowes employees! Any recommendations on the outer shield and ends?

They use a small Allen head screw to clamp cable in barrel, designed for emergency or lawnmowers.
I wouldn't use them on a bike

Thank you for your input crazypj. I was beginning to wonder why I couldn't find anyone who had used crimp/clamp style cables on motorcycles. I really wish I could find some information on cables that are pre-made or stock for another bike that are the length and size I need. I don't need an exact/perfect/down to the fraction of an inch cable, just one that is within 2" of what I am needing. A stock/OEM cable is about half the price of a motion pro and a fraction of many other custom cables. I do understand that the stock cables for my bike will work but I'd rather not loop them all around the front end. This is also a good opportunity to replace a very crucial part on my bike.

Anyone with experience with cables for a cb350k with clubmans???

Bringing it back from the dead.

I have this exact same problem. '71 CB350 twin with clubman bars. I found Dime City's shortened throttle cable, but no one has a "ready out of the box" solution for the clutch and front brake.

Are there cables from a different bike that can be used? Surely there are a million little CB's with clubman bars running around and someone has some input. Dime City suggests that I go the DIY shortening route, but I'm not keen on this.

As a last resort, is someone able to provide lengths that I can work with? I've never measured for cables before, so I honestly have no idea what/where to measure. Are the lengths that the OP provided good numbers?

Thanks!
Tyler

Back
Top Bottom