1978 KZ650, I have no idea what I'm doing.

Got the rust removed, existing paint sanded down, and sprayed the frame. Only one coat on it so far, I'd give myself an 8/10. Few imperfections but hey, I'm not a professional painter. One coat took exactly one can of paint, so I will probably do 2 more coats to ensure it's even and nice and tough. Per recommendation, I used Rustoleum gloss black engine paint, and I highly recommend it.
69cd3fe4e14f06b87a90dafc3db75da0.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tune-A-Fish said:
Looks great!

Thanks!

Frame now has it's second coat of paint. Had to take a wire air grinder to the rust on the kickstand because it was so bad. The metal on the base is pretty uneven from the pitting, but it's good enough for me. Looks 1000 times better than before.
Also the goodies are supposed to be here today :)

Brown Santa has arrived. First part, which is arguably the most important:

a1cb2edd17c1095adb9bda50a112c16e.jpg

Second, DCC cafe clubman bars. I definitely wanted clubman bars, but I was afraid the traditional ones may drop too low. These cafe bars only drop about half as much. Should be perfect.

0dfee2e16b5c9b121e6844ef09eb94db.jpg

c637184f20719f6d04d2a0f36d2f24a4.jpg

And finally, legendary cycles bug eye seat. No cushion as it's not necessary yet, and I may try making my own. God this looks good.

c6e0c36de57da31217e721b1a91d9dd6.jpg

edbc34003246bc936360786e91e6b481.jpg

3a6cddc471b6edbdd8d5f08a731db1f8.jpg

Now that we have the manual, we will be changing fluids, working on carbs, etc. Apparently, the PO pressed in new bearings, but never greased them. So we will see if we can save them. Also found a local shop that deals with a lot of KZ's so I should be able to get a decent tank for a good price. Then it's reassembly and wiring. It's a little intimidating just looking at a frame, but when I break it down, there isn't a whole lot left. It's exciting.

Dads been getting some work done while I'm away. He got the swing arm painted and will be going through the bearings one of these days. The PO was kind enough to press in new bearings, but he never greased them. Dads going to see what can be used still. After that it's reassembly to get a nice rolling chassis.

1) those 'handle bars' are the biggest piece of shit I've seen all day.
That method of fabrication is barely adequate for livestock fencing.
And what I could see of the welds they are unimpressive also. But hey
it's your funeral.
2) Kawasaki KZ bearings are sealed except some for the rear hub and they
can be greased without removal.
I apologize if my response sounds harsh. I just do not want to see anybody
walking around with the extra hardware like I do.

What is wrong with the fabrication? I have very little fab experience so I'm quite ignorant when it comes to this.
All of the reviews on their site were great.

Pinching the end of tubing and welding it to same has been done fir a long time, but has also failed more than if you are to notch cut (more labor expense) and 360 weld the two parts... this is not even an acceptable practice in the world of fabrication meets application, the loss of triangulation at the bar end makes for a very weak handlebar compared to a tube frame or roll cage when all ends meet something :eek:

Gotcha. I will see how they hold up once I put the bike together.
No offense, but I've had plenty of experience with forum users who say a certain part will fail immediately and I'll die and take out a school bus with me, and I've been just fine. Now that I know it is a subpar fabrication, I will take the necessary precautions.

Tune-A-Fish said:
Just don't plan to stunt it or anything, but if you get a rubbery feel... dump those things.

Will do, thanks for the tip. This is just going to be a cruiser, it's my first street bike and I just plan on enjoying nice weather with it.

Welp, upon investigation, dad found that the swing arm bearings are shot and apparently obsolete. He found a guy in England making reproductions but they're going to be ~$100 for the set. Anyone have other options? Would it possible to convert to bushings like the other models (mine is a B)? I had also played with the idea of a different rear swing arm for a small stretch because I think, aesthetically, the rear wheel is too close to the frame. But I honestly have done no research on what is involved, what will work, or how much it will be.

If they are the stock needles in a cage... your not looking in the right places:

http://www.z1enterprises.com/ItemDetails.aspx?itemDescription=Bearing+-+Swing+Arm+22+x+16&item=92046-1115

You can push em out with a drift and destroy them, but you MUST press them in pushing on the "hard" end... they are designed to go one way only, just like God intended your ass to work.

Hahaha, perfect analogy...see what I did there?
And thanks for that link, my dad was the one that looked and I never bother to double check. Definitely what we will be doing.

A gs1100 swap does look pretty tasty though.

Okay, so I'm at the point where I just need to ask for help. My dad and I have been trying to figure out the easiest or cheapest way to solve our swingarm bearing problem. All of the needle bearings and the sleeve are shot. It looks like just replacing them would be around $50, but I also see a bunch of complete swingarms for sale on ebay for around the same money, some even use the bushings instead of bearings. So, questions:

1. Is it possible to convert from bearings to bushings? Is this a wise idea?
2. Would it make more sense to just buy a complete take-off (assuming the bearings are good)? Also relating to 1, would buying one with bushings vs bearings be the better idea?
3. If I were to get a kz1000 swingarm (which I am under the impression is slightly longer), what problems would I run into? I know the chain might be a problem, but I can't think of much else.

ANY other advice is always greatly appreciated. I hate to ask a bunch of questions like this, but we are having a hard time finding the answers we need, and this needs to be done before we can reassemble the bike.

get ther new needle bearings and inner bush/race kit for the stock swingarm.plain bushings are a downgrade,you should be quite pleased that it has needle roller bearings from stock oem and it is trick,precision assembly,,that you can refresh and then revel in the stability beholdatated ,it is a far superior lashup to plain bushings
getting used swingarm with plain bushes, is like, say you quit wiping your ass.forever........
the swingarm pivot is arguably the most import main part of the suspension stability ride quality and safety on the whole motorcycle.you could have the best of everthing else tires brakes shocks etc but if the swingarm bushings are allowing extra wigglin' t be going on handling will suck and it could even be very hazerdis

xb33bsa said:
the swingarm pivot is arguably the most import main part of the suspension stability ride quality and safety on the whole motorcycle.you could have the best of everthing else tires brakes shocks etc but if the swingarm bushings are allowing extra wigglin' t be going on handling will suck and it could even be very hazerdis

Agree 100% The spacial relationship between the pivot and the headstock is very important. as a "performance upgrade" I have even been contemplating moving up to the next size bolt for my pivot, reaming out the frame and bushing, and installing appropriate bearings to remove the factory slop.

I installed the needle bearings on my 78 kz650, they will work on your bike. Bearings are not a place to be a cheap IMO

Ok, needle bearings it is then. Our only problem is we cannot find a sleeve anywhere. Every site I've checked says they aren't available.

Back
Top Bottom