xs1100?

ryanglade

Been Around the Block
SO a 78 xs1100 just popped up on CL. It is pretty much a finished bike, lots of powdercoating and stuf.

I am asking for peoples experiences and opinions about the xs1100. I was looking for something smaller, like a cb350 or similar but this bike looks nice and I want to go check it out.

here is the listing.
http://bend.craigslist.org/mcy/3026440310.html

do they have any inherant issues?

Worth checking out, IMO. Solid, heavy weight sport cruiser. I love the concept and started to build a '78 xs11 of my own when I decided to stick with my KZ and h2's. :)

They are not bad bikes. Like was already said, their biggest drawback is that they are heavy, which translates into marginal fast handling. It is tough to take a lot of weight off them, since most of it is in the engine/ trans, but there are areas you can trim. The shaft drive and spindly front forks make for a terrific mid-corner affect if you are not confident in your abilities, but if you are smooth with how you ride, you can overcome this, too. It looks like that is a standard, which has slightly better handling as the front axle is not leaking the fork. And the tank is bigger/ looks better, IMO. Swiv is right, the dual discs are not rare--all the XS11's had them. They are single pot, so stainless steel lines will help a lot in braking.

Even if you are small, you can manage it, though, once you are used to it. Though they make decent power, they are pretty mild in tune, so that they don't really have a tendency to get away from you. It looks like a pretty decent bike. Here are some old photos of my XS11 cafe bike:

100_2438.jpg

100_2140.jpg

Check it out man, it looks pretty nice!

Found a better one for ya in Bend....http://bend.craigslist.org/mcy/3025348047.html
Thing looks Mint!
you'll have $$ left for a build, Lunch, Gas and Insurance

Obviously, totally different bikes. :eek:

Determining what you're looking for will give you the answer to the BIG question. :)

As far as clubman bars on a xs11, they might actually be the most comfortable for the size of the owner and his intended riding style. I wouldn't be so quick to assume anything about what he's trying to prove or any statement he's trying to make. ;)

Clubs work great on the xs1100. Mine had the original buckthorns on it when I bought it, which I traded for drag bars. Eventually I went on to clubs, and the lower the bars were, the better the handling was. I was contemplating going to clip ons just before is sold it. The key to handling on these big old girls is to move your weight as far forward as you can in cornering, which helps load the front wheel, and reduces the effects of the shaft drive. For that the clubs are just the ticket. Remember, at over 500 pounds, any steering help you can get is beneficial.

...and I'll just ignore Swiv's assumptions of myself...

Desmo, Thanks for the link. I do not know much about the KZs. I have pretty much been looking for a CB 350/360. I talked myself out of the XS1100, it is a lot of bike and not really what I am looking for.

I have an xs650 that I am going to build. This bike I am getting now will be a fun little zippy bike that I can build for "the wife" aka a small bike I can ride when she is not! I might check out the KZ, I will do some research.

The XS1100 has a couple documented issues.
The most expensive one is the second gear rubbing issue.
The others are electric, relating to the coil and pickup coil system.
Finally the carbs need a lot of work.
Good thing you talked youself out of it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JeanBP said:
The XS1100 has a couple documented issues.
The most expensive one is the second gear rubbing issue.
The others are electric, relating to the coil and pickup coil system.
Finally the carbs need a lot of work.
Good thing you talked yourself out of it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That was 2 years ago. If he's anything like me, he's probably talked himself "in and out of" several projects since that one. :eek:

Back
Top Bottom