Ride from Colorado to California

Nathan81230

I'm Planning a ride from Gunnison Colorado to LA up Highway 1 and back to Colorado next summer. I recently picked up a xs650 that I plan to use for the trip. I just wanted to ask advice for the trip and share experiences with folks that have run similar trips. I'm going with three other friends riding a 1978 xs1100, 1984 Honda Sabre v45 and a 1981 kz650. Although it's the middle of winter and the average temp is bellow 20 this trip is all I can think about.

• Am I crazy for doing this on a xs650, what should I do to the bike to get it ready
• Any cool stops along the way I should check out

Sounds like a grate trip! Im hopping to take my little xs400 on a week long trip this summer when I graduate. But since im on this side of the Mississippi I wont make it as far as LA haha

Why would you consider yourself crazy for using an XS650. Many years ago I had a friend who went (with his wife on the back) from the north of France to (then) Yugoslavia and back. He had a such a good time he did the trip again a couple of years later.

honda53rider said:
Sounds like a grate trip! Im hopping to take my little xs400 on a week long trip this summer when I graduate. But since im on this side of the Mississippi I wont make it as far as LA haha

That'll be a good way of celebrating graduation. I'd like to plan a trip to the east at some point.

Hoofhearted said:
Why would you consider yourself crazy for using an XS650. Many years ago I had a friend who went (with his wife on the back) from the north of France to (then) Yugoslavia and back. He had a such a good time he did the trip again a couple of years later.

At first I thought a 650 was too small for a trip this long. After reading your story and many others like it I'm starting to feel more comfortable with my set up.

if youre talking about highway one down the coast id say that bike is going to be just about perfect. the road is winding and youll probably rarely have to wring its guts out.beautiful road. enjoy the ride

Ok, you have a cool bike and people have toured (me included) on less. The issue will be the bikes you are touring with, are longer winded, In other words they will cruise at a higher speed and not have to work as hard. Depending on the weight they carry, your bike will be working harder to keep up. I'd check into your gearing (sprockets) to lower your engine speed at higher speeds. I'd also practice packing, get gear that is efficient and light weight. Talk to campers and hikers, they'll give you a lot of info. Talk to your buddies and see if you can all figure a way to spread the weight out among the bikes. An XS 1100 can carry hundreds of pounds and not even breath hard.

Make sure you know each others health issues. One of you may need to eat on a schedule or relieve themselves regularly more often than the rest of you. Know where you're going and what the time frame to make your destination. Get together and pull together a good assortment of tools and things like duct tape, zip ties, electrical connectors, fuses, patches etc. and being on older bikes, watch oil consumption....

South west Utah is awesome, Bryce, Zion, the North rim of the Grand Canyon (Az.). Now, you need to remember, heading to California, you'll be crossing one of the biggest deserts on earth, you need to keep hydrated and covered. It's easier to wash off sweat than recover from serious sun burns. Not sure why you're coming to L.A. maybe family? But If possible I'd skip it. The Sierra's and the central coast up is where it's at. The 1 doesn't even get interesting till above Morro Bay, but there are thousands of great mountain roads. From Cambria to Monterey is simply amazing, from sea level to hundreds of feet above and back to sea level more time than you can count, it's amazing. Maybe on the way back ride through Yosemite and out through Lee Vining and make a stop at Bodie, then down through Mammoth. These are all just Ideas. You guys are going to have a blast, just know your limits and take extra good care of yourselves...

as for motorcycle related stops, go to Deus Machina in Venice, if you pass through during the weekend... rock store and neptunes net.

Thanks guys great info! Gives me some destinations to mark on our map. I've looked into gearing for the xs650 to make highway miles easier on the bike. I'll be packing light and if I need to my buddy said I could pack some stuff on the 1100 or as we call it "the mule". Two of us have family in LA or else we would have skipped it, the crazy city driving is something we don't have too much experience with but we'll take it easy. Two of my buddies haven't even seen the ocean so we're all excited for our own reasons but mostly just to be on the road for two weeks.

Ok, so you're coming to L.A. the "2" is great riding, Ortega HyWy, Mullholland is fantastic, there are literally hundreds of back roads all over the high desert from Bakersfield to El Centro, it'll just depends on your time available. Coming out of L.A. find the 23 to Fillmore, north to Santa Paula, take the 33 through Ojai from there you can take the 150 to either the 192 over to the 154 (there is a great Motorcycle museum in Solvang, also Abel Skivers and sausage is great, or there is a place that serves wild boar pizza that is amazing) to the 101 out through the 135 into Pismo, or can stay on the 33 And travel out to the 160. Both these will take you out to San Luis where you can catch the 1 out to Morro Bay and up to Cambria, Big Sur and into Monterey.

On the way back find secondary roads out to the 395 and ride through Yosemite and Bodie is just great, you'll be in the Serria's June lake loop, the Mammoth area is very nice and you could go through Death Valley on the way back through to Nevada.

The real deal here, unless you're taking a month, you're going to run out of days. California is huge, and it takes quite a bit of time to get from place to place.

Thanks again for all the info ApriliaBill. Two weeks is going to go by too fast so we'll have to divide our time wisely. I'll be asking some more questions closer to the trip and I'll make sure to post some pics of the trip.

Back
Top Bottom