Global warming - not our fault

eh, science has been steamrolled by human stupidity for eons, look what they did to Galileo... frankly it doesn't matter that much, it's not like you can change all human behavior by making an argument on reason. you need a massive crisis, millions dying, governments toppling, cats and dogs living together, that kind of stuff...

Yeah I know, plus it's not like they seem to be proposing much to fix it, just that they've agreed that we're at least in part responsible. I'm just pointing out that science is science, and science says that dude is a moron.

The world was going to heat up anyway, we've been on the tail end of an ice age for a while now. I don't know that there's anything we could do to help even if we wanted to.

Co-founding a group of zealots who chase down whaling boats on the ocean does not make you an authority on climate change.

Tim said:
Co-founding a group of zealots who chase down whaling boats on the ocean does not make you an authority on climate change.

HA!
Best thing I have read all morning 8)

"Global Warming" is obviously suspect, and thats why all the scientists and tree huggers now call it "Climate Change". Every ten year old know that the climate changes.

TheCoffeeGuy said:
"Global Warming" is obviously suspect, and thats why all the scientists and tree huggers now call it "Climate Change". Every ten year old know that the climate changes.

How is it suspect!? People don't like the idea of climate change because it basically tells us we've been doing shit wrong for about 100 years. And that maybe, our little hobby isn't the best thing the planet.
People need to stop listening to politicians and pundits. They are fucking idiots. Their opinion is motivated by profit. We should listen to scientists on this one.

You got it right, rays650cafe - though I'm surprised to see the global warming/climate change debate on this forum. Our bikes aren't a big contributor to anthropogenic global warming, but human activity generally sure as hell is - the CO2 concentration at about 400ppm is higher than it has been for 800 thousand years - that heats the atmosphere, and is undeniably caused by us burning in 200 years the coal and oil that took a couple of billion years to lay down.

Yes, TheCoffeeGuy, the climate changes, but a hell of a lot slower than it is now - like a fraction of a degree per century, both going into and leaving an ice age - even 2 degrees Celcius this century will have major impacts on the natural environment, food production, and our quality of life - I don't want to leave my grandchildren with a planet that's in worse shape than when I was born.

Bikes may not be contributing much but I'm sure heating homes and driving big trucks to pick them up is.
Still a drop in the ocean compared to a single 747 crossing the Atlantic though. Climate change/global warming is happening, plenty of data on it, but, because of the 26,000 yr trip around galaxy, there should be severe cooling and new ice age on the way.
If Florida doesn't get flooded it may be a nice place in another few hundred years ;D
The problem seems to be the weather seems to be getting worse, more severe cooling and heating as ocean currents get diluted with fresh water and change the way oceans transmit heat around the planet.
For example, Britain is warmer in the summer and a lot cooler in winter, used to be 'freak' weather every 10~12 yrs, not every year

BigAl8295 said:
How come the answer to "Climate Change" is always some sort of tax?

Because this is one of the main tools the government can use to encourage or discourage particular behavior. If they make something (like fossil fuels) more expensive, it's less attractive to use, and alternatives become more financially competitive. We also might take more care to use it less wastefully. Fossil fuels are cheap in part because the social cost of using them isn't factored into the price (healthcare, environmental, disaster etc). If the government taxes these, the price can be made to more closely reflect the true cost to society and the tax money can be used to cover the costs associated with poorer air quality, spills, rising temps/seas and unpredictable weather that otherwise fall to individuals and local communities.

A better tool would be coming up with a reasonable alternative.

The problem is that big corporations don't "eat it", it gets passed on to us.

BigAl8295 said:
A better tool would be coming up with a reasonable alternative.

The problem is that big corporations don't "eat it", it gets passed on to us.

Corporations are made of "us."

I've gotta say I'm surprised at the consensus on this thread so far, I figured there'd be a ton of bickering about whether or not it was real.

Rich Ard said:
Corporations are made of "us."

Unless your buying shares in the company, they are mainly composed of lazy and greedy. US corporations are required by law to turn a profit for shareholders, not required to 'save the planet' or anything similar. Billionaires don't get that much money by doing actual work but by using laws and corruption to screw the population (I'm bitter and twisted, ;D corporate America is what has messed me up then dumped on me ::) )
Company I used to work for 'went public' offered share options to the 'workers', but, the top people could sell their shares 3 months before anyone else was allowed to. After driving price artificially high ($~47.00 share) they dumped shares and became overnight millionaires (or multi millionaires in some cases)
Because of this, the share price dropped below option price.
The greedy will applaud this as 'good business' but, all it really did was make company something of a laughing stock in trade circles, people were afraid or ashamed to admit where they trained
Global warming/climate change is a fact but greed will always overcome long term considerations

crazypj said:
Unless your buying shares in the company, they are mainly composed of lazy and greedy. US corporations are required by law to turn a profit for shareholders, not required to 'save the planet' or anything similar. Billionaires don't get that much money by doing actual work but by using laws and corruption to screw the population (I'm bitter and twisted, ;D corporate America is what has messed me up then dumped on me ::) )
Company I used to work for 'went public' offered share options to the 'workers', but, the top people could sell their shares 3 months before anyone else was allowed to. After driving price artificially high ($~47.00 share) they dumped shares and became overnight millionaires (or multi millionaires in some cases)
Because of this, the share price dropped below option price.
The greedy will applaud this as 'good business' but, all it really did was make company something of a laughing stock in trade circles, people were afraid or ashamed to admit where they trained
Global warming/climate change is a fact but greed will always overcome long term considerations
I'm going to call bullshit there. Find any billionaire/millionaire who was not born into the money and I guarantee you that they worked their asses off to get where they are.

OK, Bill Gates worked his ass off buying, pirating and 'stealing' software,
I'm pretty sure there isn't a single billionaire who did manual labor for more than an hour or two after 18~20. Exploiting 'the system' and screwing people over is the quickest way to make money, you can be a 'nice guy' and give some away after your near the top

crazypj said:
OK, Bill Gates worked his ass off buying, pirating and 'stealing' software,
I'm pretty sure there isn't a single billionaire who did manual labor for more than an hour or two after 18~20. Exploiting 'the system' and screwing people over is the quickest way to make money, you can be a 'nice guy' and give some away after your near the top
No one is ever going to make millions doing manual labor, ever. I think how the game works is you do whatever you can to make millions, then spend the rest of your life doing whatever you can to keep it. I've been arguing with a friend, who's a business owner, over his compensation of loss in his price point. Essentially, he's passing off the cost of poorly trained labor and bad manufacturing processes on to the buyer. The end product is alway good, but the cost is 30 - 40% higher than it should be. As a result the business struggles. I really see his business model as the same as what much of the US has become. Training and compensation for labor, submitting R&D, and improving manufacturing processes costs time and money, and my friend isn't wiling to invest. Instead, he just sits back and blames the economy for his troubles.

Back
Top Bottom