Restoration project - CB400F 1975.

Hi all,

As I can see, photobucket images are not visible any more... Hope I'll be able to recreate them in the future. In the meanwhile, I'll host pictures from Google Photos, so please let me know if there will be any problems with the display of the photos. TIA.

I have been working on my bike lately... Mostly, I've prepared and painted the tank and side covers. Marks were painted instead of the decals...

Here are few pictures of the process.

Preparation : putty and filler after several layers with sanding in between.

mB4h9E7.jpg

Painted red.

Q98OqZR.jpg

Added masks and painted the side marks on the covers.

imi8CzY.jpg

WsvPjs0.jpg

AWBmIlf.jpg

This is what it looks now vs how it looked like before.... :)

9qhridS.jpg

Added gold for Honda outline.

OMYPiru.jpg

NpgiIig.jpg

Masked and painted inner section with blue.

oj5kPEl.jpg

Result:

E8lQPAv.jpg

I have masked inner section now and sand it gently with 4000.

iXo1NLL.jpg

dTfxZgO.jpg

Masks off...

wlKQoHs.jpg

dMVOitW.jpg

dMVOitW.jpg

Final result:

vFu6O0q.jpg

That's about it, now onto final gloss coat, with sanding and polishing over the painted marks to even the finish.

Stay tuned,

Kristijan

Awesome!
Nice to see someone go to the full effort instead of throwing on some vinyl and calling it a day

Thank you all on kind words. 8)

Next onto clear cote and polishing, so I can call it a day and proceed to front forks and instruments rebuild.

Regards,

Kristijan

Haven't read this one for a while....but also notice that it's gone quiet a little. PLEASE----keep us posted on this one!!! I'm blown away by the amount of effort put into the tank and covers' painting!!! Humbled.

Looks AMAZING!

SONIC. said:
Awesome!
Nice to see someone go to the full effort instead of throwing on some vinyl and calling it a day

Agreed... well done.. but don't forget full effort would have just been a sticker on top of everything.. Honda wasn't doing anything under clear coat back then. This would be above and beyond that.

And that's some tedious masking.... I hate doing shit like that.

Pay attention boys and girls...THIS is how you do it!!! Bravo Zulu kiki.o! Any progress lately?

Thank you all for your kind words. 8)

Unfortunately, just when i have put the gloss coat on the covers and the tank, i have crashed during one of my trackdays. As a result - broken collar bone, surgeries and therapies in the last year. As if it wasn't enough, had to fix my main bike due to crash.
ujRfUEz.png

Honda on the other hand, is where I left it a year ago. With the addition of the gloss coat. Now it needs polishing and second layer of clear gloss.
B4ikApo.jpg

82sJYml.jpg

CsiVQn7.jpg

LrQ0AbZ.jpg

I hope this project will pick up from now on, but I cannot make any promises ;D

Stay tuned,
Kristijan

Wow, sorry aboiut the accident and all the recuperation time. I hope you make a full recovery. Yes, the paintwork is looking very good indeed!

Yeah, I think that work on the 400 will be excellent therapy. ;D

Paintwork looks good, but it's still not finished and the shine is not on the level I want.

Wet sanding, and additional layers of clear should resolve that issue. And in the end, final polishing.

We'll see. :eek:

Regards,
Kristijan

Hi to all,

This never ending project is making a little big step forward. Finally.

I have made an order of few parts from USA, but due to COVID and all the problems with it, it took almost 2 months to receive the parts for the front forks.

For the rear shocks i have chosen to upgrade(if it can be called that way) on Hagon shocks. Stock shocks were rather soft, so I hope this will sort out that problem.

I have finished the suspension, and I hope to have rolling chassis soon.

Here are few pics:

I have cleaned and powder coated the lower forks, RAL 9006, looks nice but I am not so sure about the color... Cleaned the threads,and prepared for assembly.
WsJWbTC.jpg

Cleaned few old parts:
cBrX8zT.jpg

mwEtU2b.jpg

VscnWUF.jpg

Rest of parts were replaced with new:

ii0gfbT.jpg

9RWMDGJ.jpg

On this picture, all parts on the left are re-used and all on the right were new ones:

UowpeIy.jpg

xSFANCe.jpg

Both forks assembled:

WEOkeOM.jpg

And put on the triple trees:

gfPl4IZ.jpg

Rear bushing placement cleaned:

MKxBgBI.jpg

And rear shocks mounted:

gvWWcFz.jpg

This is where she is now:

KeJXvw6.jpg

Tank has recieved few details also:

rF284Yb.jpg

I have ordered new tires, and I hope to have it rolling soon:

hzZuWiu.jpg

That's all for today. Hope you like it.

I hope this rebuild will speed up, but ordering parts from all parts of the world can be very time and money consuming. :)

I had second thougths now and then but all your builds on this forum just confirms that it's all worth while.

Thanks,
Kristijan

Back
Top Bottom