79 Kawasaki KZ650 - 8 minute video, 282 West, Pennsylvania

Re: 79 Kawasaki KZ650 - Engine running better with each adjustment

Someone on facebook just posted this Dynojet vs Mikuni Conversion Chart. I bought a Stage 3 Dynojet kit awhile back but never used it because it starts at 118 main. My Mikuni Jets are 112.5. I didn't realized they translated differently. Right now I am running a little rich as mentioned by a fellow rider riding behind me. I'll have to try the 118 Dynojets (110 Mikuni converted) next time a pull the carb to see if there is a difference.

For now I will run rich to keep the jugs on the cooler side during break in. Not noticing any hiccups, but I imagine I'll get a little better throttle response going down 1 jet size. Any thoughts or comments on this?
Jet_Numbers_Cross_Reference_Sheet-_zpsd2c083ca.jpg

If the bike isn't hiccuping or backfiring and you've already used the colortune, leave it for now is my .02. Make sure the carbs are balanced well and check the header temps with a laser temp gauge if you have one. One other thought is "maybe" used a 1 step hotter plug. You can shine a light into your tailpipe and if you have lots of black carbon, that could be an over rich condition.

canyoncarver said:
If the bike isn't hiccuping or backfiring and you've already used the colortune, leave it for now is my .02. Make sure the carbs are balanced well and check the header temps with a laser temp gauge if you have one. One other thought is "maybe" used a 1 step hotter plug.

Check, and Check. I'll inspect temps is the near future.

Re: 79 Kawasaki KZ650 - Dynojet vs. Mikuni Conversion

If you are indeed running lean it still may not be the main, it would depend on where in the range you are lean (i.e. what throttle position). Different jets/needles are responsible for different throttle positions. Mikuni has a good tuning guide that will go through the tuning process for each stage, its worth a read. I don't know much about Colortune, but can you test throughout the range or is it just for idle?

Swapped main jets last night from 112.5 to 110 (118 DynoJet). Also replace choke plunger O-rings and the air/fuel screw O-rings.

I used the Colortune again and it's amazing to see how different each carb is. Some carbs were 2 turns out others were 2 1/2...3. The colortune definitely makes it easy to get the idle right.

As far as the main jets. Without doubt she runs better. More responsive and not lean. Took her a 45 min though windy roads and stop and go city streets. No problems.

At 55F outside temp, the head temp was about 250F each cylinder 5 mins after I turned it off. Next time I'll check when she's running.

I'll try to get some riding video posted soon. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Got some new mirrors. A little better than the tall rabbit ears but takes away from the drag bike looking lines. Maybe I'll end up with bar ends long term. The mirrors are nice but I'm so used to bar ends that I've barely used them so far.

So far I got 173 on the odometer after rebuild. Long way to go before I can get her over 5k rpms.

bfd9b6c5caeed2d3685418ba2003de58.jpg

713b34f2e0719aee262f7d233033d046.jpg

fc8e6931020a142d0aab03eedc5000bc.jpg

424639f305ed2a51acc72ad7f00be8a0.jpg

6cc9759b83592f1fcb5cd0256bc7efeb.jpg

Re: 79 Kawasaki KZ650 - New Mirrors & 173 miles after rebuild.

Need some input on paint job. Here is what im thinking. This exact color green with the KZ650C Gold decals. I found replicate tank badges and side cover badges that are stickers. A much cheaper option than replacing the plastic badges. They look decent. I would have the painter clearcoat over them.

Thoughts?

xs-650-2.jpg

xs-650-9.jpg

kaw2_79_kz650c_set2a.jpg

z650c3_79right.jpg

Re: 79 Kawasaki KZ650 - Need Paint Input

Or just do without the gold decal and stick with the stickers.
s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

Yo I LOVE the green! I'm heading down the Bullet Mustang green route myself.

I also think the Gold will give it a really solid pop! Are you going to fill in the holes on the tank for the badges then?

So excited to see it all together!

flip_rip said:

I also think the Gold will give it a really solid pop! Are you going to fill in the holes on the tank for the badges then?

We must of posted at the same time. See above.

Here is a perfect example of the gold on green...a much brighter green.
kawasaki-z650-sr-1980-10.jpg

i think the stripes would look good on a dark green

flip_rip said:

Love that green too!

edit: I was referring to the XS650.

Upgrades! Maier 7 inch small fairing. Really completes the look, don't you think?

Took 3 hours to install. Had to use a Dremel to open up turn signal slots.
4ff4adbfc61094fb28088f9ebe24caaa.jpg

d3e1f04b7a29f135503e76cdf3644daa.jpg

8b108a30cfab77b06ca1abd2b8051f2f.jpg

Re: 79 Kawasaki KZ650 - Maier 7inch Small Windshield Fairing

nice one. makes it look sporty

SrgtBear said:
Upgrades! Maier 7 inch small fairing. Really completes the look, don't you think?

Took 3 hours to install. Had to use a Dremel to open up turn signal slots.
//uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170402/4ff4adbfc61094fb28088f9ebe24caaa.jpg[/img

[/quote]

Nice thread and nice build. Ive been searching for a KZ650 but had no luck. So Im picking this up tomorrow, a 77 KZ750

In re the fairing, below is my 1973 CB500f. I found this fairing on EBAY. The fairing maker is pretty popular and sells these, made to paint. My bike just happened to match. I like your fairing but I think a fairing of the same color as your bike would make it pop more. And yeah I know, oil is leaking onto my exhaust on the CB. Its since been corrected. The Oil filter was loose

Attachments

• kz750_1.jpg
    kz750_1.jpg
    88.3 KB · Views: 281
  • IMG_6464.jpg
    IMG_6464.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 259

750Toys said:
I like your fairing but I think a fairing of the same color as your bike would make it pop more.

Thanks for the compliments on the thread. I totally agree with you. I've been researching painters and I think your right, need to get the front fairing painted with the rest of the bike. Just debating if I do it this season or at the end. Ive been riding a lot and rather be riding then waiting for paint to dry.

Nice bikes BTW!

Re: 79 Kawasaki KZ650 - Maier 7inch Small Windshield Fairing

Unless its a painter you know and trust to turn it around real quick i would wait until next winter. I had a dude tell me it would be two weeks for paint once and ended up taking 9 months.

Re: 79 Kawasaki KZ650 - Wiseco K700, Andrews #20 Cams, 4-1 Kerker

Here is a video clip of yesterday's ride down 282 West in Pennsylvania. Sorry, no revs over 6k, still being broke in. (Ignore the squeaky brakes :eek:)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iqLypp8MZpY

Back
Top Bottom