Montreal Manchild with an '81 Honda CB750K

Spoke wrench just arrived, definitely making the job a lot easier than the monkey wrench I was using the yesterday.

Think I'm getting somewhere - I've trued the oval out of the rim and think I'm pretty close to taking out the lateral run out. I've got about a 1-2mm differential on both axis, is that within spec? I mean, sheeeeet is it close enough?

Sent from my iPhone using DO THE TON

Just tweaked it a bit more and think I'm closer to 1mm. I'm actually pretty amazed how much I got this thing to move - rim looked like a goddam seasick hula hoop when I started

Nice, truing is an art almost as much as it is a science, I have yet to have to try it so I don't know if I am any good at it but I have heard some folks pick it right up and others never get it LOL.

Front wheel definitely in better shape than the rear - pretty sure that one at some point in the past has taken one for the team. Got it pretty true though - gonna take it to the shop tomorrow and sling the new rubber on - hopefully they'll give my work the nod

The main thing is that you have the up/down runout as close as possible and that the spokes are tensioned correctly. The side to side runout is not as important, but you want to get them both as close as you can to perfect nonetheless.

The up/down and side to side is pretty good now on both rims, but the rear rim has definitely taken a beat down - there's one spot where the rim dips and there's bugger all I seem to able to do about it.

Gave all the spokes a little "ding" and they all sound pretty close on the front rim, not quite so good on the rear. Interesting to hear what the pros say tomorrow when I get the rubber on.

Got my rubber on today, Dunlop K70's. I need to balance them now and true them up a little more. Anyone know anything about dynabeads?

dyna beads work, but you need the funnel/filler tool or they go everywhere! and they are mini marbles and slippery as shit.

fortnine.ca (one of my go-to's) has these -

https://fortnine.ca/en/counteract-balance-beads-kit

The reviews look great, and they seem to work really well. Would rather use these than weights to keep the rims/spokes nice and clean, and apparently they work great. A guy at my local bike shop uses them in his Harley sporty and swears by them.

Question - my front tire size is 3.25/19 (does that equate to 90 metric?) and 4.00/18 on the rear (again, does that equate to 110?) Still confused by all these numbers...

They look fine, cheaper than Dyna and Fortnine is great last set of Tires I bought came from there. They have the hose and filler bottle so should be ok. We didn't when doing a buddies bike and tried to funnel them in. made a huge mess, gave up and got the filler then it was ok.

Sweet, think I'll give them a try. They work with inner tubes right? Anything I should know about filling the inner tubes? I'm thinking 1oz in the front tire and 2oz in the rear.

Yep we put them in a bike with tubes. you need to remove the valve core and put the hose on the stem then fill the bottle and puff them into the tube, replace core, fill with air and go.

Here's a cutaway view...
main-qimg-f43f79b5a1b20208de584d6a7f2aa284

You can buy a special too like this...
EELD302A4.jpg

or make your own. I have a cap from a bottle of Slime that I keep in my tool box which has one molded in.

Nice one mate, I'll pick up one of those tools at the same time. Unscrew the core, fill the tube up with beads and then re-inflate the thing. Job's a good'un

Back
Top Bottom