The Ducati Ebay Special

Re: The Ducati Demon

That 750 Sport is a work of art but, as Ducati themselves proved with the Sport 1000, a modern interpretation can just look plain weird if it's not done right (IMHO at least!).

Attachments

• 2007_Ducati_Sport_1000_6.jpg
    2007_Ducati_Sport_1000_6.jpg
    119.5 KB · Views: 233

Here is the exhaust i made. Im not sold on it but im not sure i had many better options. Open to opinions.

Attachments

• 20170430_110238.jpg
    20170430_110238.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 246
  • 20170430_110255.jpg
    20170430_110255.jpg
    608.8 KB · Views: 234

Rusnak_322 said:
That rod with the hemi joints can be replaced with one that allows quick ride height adjustments.

7e39725e64691d77c6b597b56c1a3581.jpg

Sent from my iPad using DO THE TON

So what happens if change this out? How do I determine which rod I need? Source? I think the right now the swingarm is set too high, shooting the ass into the air. I need to compare with a bobe stock m750, but I'd guess close to 2 inches. Do I need to change out the shock as well?

Better shots of the exhaust

Attachments

• 20170501_165857.jpg
    20170501_165857.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 230
  • 20170501_165847.jpg
    20170501_165847.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 237
  • 20170501_165839.jpg
    20170501_165839.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 229

Thats a great looking machine. I have always admired the monsters and that style of bike. I hope to own one someday :)

BillyGoat4130 said:
Thats a great looking machine. I have always admired the monsters and that style of bike. I hope to own one someday :)

Thanks! I'm on the fence about going nuclear with this project come winter, but I have to admit I'm pretty happy with the level of awesome I've managed to coax out of it thus far.

jcw said:
Why are you hiding the other side? Let's see it.

Hiding? There's photos of the other side of the bike in this thread, but as I'm trying to show the exhaust work, and there's no exhaust work to be seen on the other side, that'll be rather silly now wouldn't it :eek: :p 8) ;D

redwillissuperman said:
I have yet to see the bottom side!!! Can you pop a few wheelies...

Lol!!! It actually wheelies quite easily.....

Went for a longer ride yesterday, wanted to try out the gps multifunction unit I added. Turns out some times a speedo is a good thing, as I was nowhere need the speeds I thought I was going, needed to reel it in. That being said, ripping through a couple of gears on the parkway was too much fun. I know this motor is often referred to as a dog, since the valves are too small and so and so, but man, the way the broad power band feels, with torque for days, what a good time! I also quite enjoy the harley esque sound it has, particularly because cops are brutal here, and the high revving 4 sound gets a lot my notice in a bad way.

Spent a few hours in the exhaust. Its gonna takes days but itll look great finished. So much sanding at the eelds, I really need a tig.

jag767 said:
Hiding? There's photos of the other side of the bike in this thread, but as I'm trying to show the exhaust work, and there's no exhaust work to be seen on the other side, that'll be rather silly now wouldn't it :eek: :p 8) ;D

we're still curious to see what your vertical header looks like

jag767 said:
So what happens if change this out? How do I determine which rod I need? Source? I think the right now the swingarm is set too high, shooting the ass into the air. I need to compare with a bobe stock m750, but I'd guess close to 2 inches. Do I need to change out the shock as well?

it possibly starts with where the rocker is mounted in relation to the engine and swingarm. if it's mounted the same distance from the swingarm as in a 916, then it should be about right geometry wise. but if it has been mounted relative to the motor, and the pivot is now a bit higher, that will push the wheel end down as both shock bottom and pushrod mount to the arm. shortening one a lot and not the other will change the rocker geometry (might be good or bad).

you could rotate the rear hub so that the eccentric is at the top if it's not already. i'd also pull the shock and remove the spring and refit it with the hub high and fully collapse it to make sure nothing hits anything. on a 916 the wheel will hit the mufflers at full compression as a general rule with the hub high. the hub high will also reduce the chain tension variation too, as the axle will be closer to the "all 3 in a line" point. something raising the swingarm pivot will have made worse.

the fork springs will be a lot heavier than the crap they put in most monsters std too, so it will sit higher. and they may be longer too, i think they are. unscrew the caps off the tubes and let the front collapse and see how much clearance there is. you might be able to pull the forks through the clamps.

brad black said:
we're still curious to see what your vertical header looks like

I should be done with the long tubes finish work today, I'll post photos on and off the bike, then I get to tackle the rear tube, which I had already done a fair amount of sanding on already. It won't be perfect since it was all mig, creating a few low spots I can't sand out, but I'll easily get it to 90%, and with a high polish on a sunny day, no one will ever notice. The pipes will be way nicer than the rest of the bike lol.

brad black said:
it possibly starts with where the rocker is mounted in relation to the engine and swingarm. if it's mounted the same distance from the swingarm as in a 916, then it should be about right geometry wise. but if it has been mounted relative to the motor, and the pivot is now a bit higher, that will push the wheel end down as both shock bottom and pushrod mount to the arm. shortening one a lot and not the other will change the rocker geometry (might be good or bad).

you could rotate the rear hub so that the eccentric is at the top if it's not already. i'd also pull the shock and remove the spring and refit it with the hub high and fully collapse it to make sure nothing hits anything. on a 916 the wheel will hit the mufflers at full compression as a general rule with the hub high. the hub high will also reduce the chain tension variation too, as the axle will be closer to the "all 3 in a line" point. something raising the swingarm pivot will have made worse.

the fork springs will be a lot heavier than the crap they put in most monsters std too, so it will sit higher. and they may be longer too, i think they are. unscrew the caps off the tubes and let the front collapse and see how much clearance there is. you might be able to pull the forks through the clamps.

Thanks, that give me a general direction. Through a lot of digging, it looks to be the suspension off a 2003 998, and the rod is adjustable. I will turn it down a little to get the ass end right. Also I had it ratchet strapped down, the eay I ran the exhaust it will never hit. As for the front fork length, I really need a measurement of a stocker to know for sure about the length. When I got it someone has the tubes through the triple an extra 3 inches or so, damn thing dove into every corner. I moved it all the way up and it's much better, it's say the geometry is somewhere in the passable range, but it handles much better at speed than low speed on side roads. I'd guess I get the ass down even an inch and i'm good. The set height is 1-1.5 inches higher that stock fwiw.

Back
Top Bottom