CB450 Oil Pump UPGRADE Swap from CB500T?

jammer415

Been Around the Block
So the oil pump from a CB500T is more efficient (and gets the oil to the top of the head faster) than the original one that came on the CB450, and is a direct bolt-on swap, correct?

Wondering how difficult it is to swap out? Do I need any gaskets? Can I use original bolts from the CB450?

Also, while cleaning out the centrifugal filter and oil pump screen... can I use a pressurized steamer?

So upon further research, I see that some race bikes are running a direct oil feed line to the cams, Capellini and Team Hansen Honda offer a kit that also includes an oil cooler... but, do I need a direct feed line for city riding?

Another option is to convert the camshafts and cam towers to needle rollers, is this a difficult job?

Can I just swap in an oil pump from a CB500T can call it a day? Or even along with an oil cooler?

So Capellini also offers a paper filter conversion kit that replaces the centrifugal filter and also utilizes a separate oil line to the top head and cams.

Is the CB450 that prone to burning up? Do I really need these mods?

Anyone..?

No, you don't NEED these mods. But you can do them if you want. It isn't cheap. The needle bearing conversion requires you to machine the cams. The external oil lines require you to close off the internal passages. The oil filter also requires a little machine work.

fYmTKN59yT2INHey42yMimDkg_p_AAl4buoPIGEnmpORtlDRciEOfEzVuy0-cnGu8t7HjEjLCY2rKra3YIXDWUwC7JJ-COa0F0CPmx7vFEOBlKQiSccZ4kLFq1AOphMF6zcD-of2JsR1jTNDDX7zK66aKZE7ZkOI_11NY5Y72Tf8tzm4KgNWWgFBaYzyyZNMeebYoyaar58kIp0s3IddztNXT8ctzNBeNM76ptdKfmGfnKIo9R8AWfPXIqBlO4DGLK1nygPworZO6WDShwP2HhO_FuqFprMPHfaXUVLnnbrIVjzL9a6KRmOaatvJNx_rs7BCyrOUanGbYdbspiFElKuPj1lCsjzjfQj8WcWJCK2hG80CUgAacPt47T-sJBJQREXgRh8SqYWlO0aa5SA0oIiXmpJSWjeIyl-YNWhjSruDYPgQlxB931_nsmWb2nhpzHM4sMw-XzIHIgU2qdB7V_vWSkg2CBPQMITDUUrhX5tuozzvTrZPkd_FQNLPfJcSL0Lt21HK3emHpy9I3FIjArDEyX40lmZac6NED47voBVlFtOc_fqn5XavqlXw9HGr1zsxPfHad09UksEIiDhj0AhYj3aNozDXhWHGJ4-WR6YQpVRmb0Dw=w836-h626-no

WGMlxtrqNR0taOO83ThD_iK4HlV3wIUbmK4aIM1L5cDooLvXY2AfgZrx5ast6NqL1S4tOxT1HzSAf_ZeQDQ0jb-6PJGxsWdGXrts5lsirbnuciGsMelGjM_2O8wWs2Voh-F5wt4O7u7FRVFAQ4qbfcZE93sCq0s-D24HkmOHt7q167PTv6Ww_0V5tO8j14vyLwJRzSxMbtxzHlr9Jaje4IcgDlh9FEyg7sUejdz6hd7zl8QFiyIfPk3QnZXSUeFRA9pOPVTt-xfTN_hV8OL3ZklPUFtjh79J8ipXQ6We0EFUMNk3tHdTANAeK2KZxZPtZZVVcUlIc3ysjPbDcQXbJtCvpQEId1nw1WJcNGoiCfqrVX6j6byPXvurFzOro14hUIP-yZzSBs2p8711kDfTV7-XpTPkN2s7Ax2ACBVnVNzrSKJTLAN6twkO6RnBAb-Qgam4rtBtbM-vpMGSTlBgNfQEwnVUx585wsgyv7FI-hy0ZPJrNjthfEoV9cXEfnty9rRpF1smrG50llhz_Yuj6UIZFupgXqnQsHJTb7QcQ2zt1sIMCpoMSznDBBXmBLoOrTuRWI0aNdX8nJ5cH4JTfiVrieP86ksKsyyZr_da_4eo5yKFzfdn=w2752-h2064-no

I just finished doing all these things.

http://www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=70951.0

Your bike is rad!

Thanks for the insights... Did you do the machining yourself? Or a shop?

Did you also install an oil cooler?

Thanks.

I had a buddy do the machining for me. See my thread that I linked.

I did add an oil cooler. You can see the oil lines running up to it in the second pic. It is off of an XR400.

Again, none of this is NECESSARY, but I felt like doing it.

Wow your build thread is freaking awesome. Makes me want to rebuild mine too, as well as check my carbs to make sure all the parts match!

Is that a front fender on the rear?? Also from a 450? Did you have to do anything to it to make it fit or just throw it on there and attach to the swingarm?

The fender is probably a front 450 fender. I found it at a swap meet for $10. It looks just like my front one. I had to have some tabs welded onto my swingarm so I could mount it.

I'm actually thinking about going to go back to a stock frame mounted rear fender when I get around to rebuilding the rest of the bike. I've already had the rear fender vibrate loose and fall off. It was kind of violent when it hit the tire and got sucked into the chain. Luckily it didn't break the chain or anything else. I put some loctite on the bolts when I replaced it.

Ok awesome... I've been trying to think of ways to alter the rear fender somehow to eliminate that huge gap between the wheel and the rear fender, and so far your way looks way better since it is connected to the swingarm and moves up/down with the wheel while keeping the same distance between the fender.

How long have you been riding with the locktite on there?

Do you by any chance have a close-up photo of the tabs that you welded on there?

Thanks again for all of your help and insights.

Back
Top Bottom