timing chain timing

SupDOHC

it's a early gen not the later gen Yamaha xs1100 and the timing chain tensioner doesn't seem to be doing it's job. I looked at the rubber stopper which was leaking. the compression was good when I got it I synced the carbs- then I lent the tool to someone- I don't think the carbs are messed up but it doesn't idle perfectly and the radio gets quiet when the engine is on. I think there is something wrong with the timing chain adjuster which is on the front of the bike. the upper two or three thousand rpm is lacking in comparison the lower rpm rush.

Ive completely gone through the top end of an xs1100, and had it eat all the valves because of a failed cam tensioner, so my advice would be to throw the existing one away, order an automatic one from an xj1100 or vmax, they interchange. And dont run it again until you have verified cam timing.

datadavid said:
Ive completely gone through the top end of an xs1100, and had it eat all the valves because of a failed cam tensioner, so my advice would be to throw the existing one away, order an automatic one from an xj1100 or vmax, they interchange. And dont run it again until you have verified cam timing.
does ape have one?

I haven't looked in a while but I think the bolt in the side of the tensioner may be missing.

Back
Top Bottom