New member with a newly acquired 1980 Honda

GroupBEnthusiast

Hello!

I've been lurking around in the electrical threads for about a week now, so I thought I might as well introduce myself. I just picked up a 1980 CB750F with 4,700 miles (pic attached). It's certainly seen better days cosmetically, but it runs and rides quite well. I'm currently sorting out some kinks with the charging system and brakes, but hopefully I'll soon be able to enjoy what's left of the riding season!

-GroupBEnthusiast, Greater Detroit area

Attachments

• IMG_1526.JPG
    IMG_1526.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 203
Nice machine GroupB, welcome to DTT! That is a real pretty 750 you have!

There's lots of info here on these bikes; if you need any info, just ask!

*** unsolicited advice follows ***

A good starting point is to take apart every connector, clean it so it's shiny and put it back together. Make sure the pins have tight contact, you can adjust that by squeezing with needle nose pliers. Also clean anywhere a ground cable attaches and make sure your battery is good (actually have it tested - just having 12 volts isn't enough).

Keep in mind that the electrical system on the cb750 actually drains power below 3000rpm and peak charging is attained at about 5000rpm your meter should read ~14 volts at 5000rpm.

That should get you started, looking forward to your progress!

Thanks Cookie,

I'm definitely going to need all the advice I can get. lol. I actually just installed a brand new battery, as the old one looked like it had been around a while. I didn't know that peak charging doesn't happen until 5K RPM, though. I had been riding around trying to keep the revs at about 2500-3500, while cruising at city speeds, so that definitely helps.

Great looking ride you got there mate - 4,700 miles? no wonder it looks so shiny - welcome and high fives from Montreal

Back
Top Bottom