CX500 starting troubles

citizendeck

A few months ago my bike was starting no issues. Now it will start with chokes on, but after a couple minutes of warming up the revs will drop dramatically and the bike will sputter out and die (chokes still on). It's a 1981 CX500C and I'm running mikuni carbs, no H box and straight pipes to Harley mufflers. The bike won't even start up, just tries, with chokes off. This is after a few months of not running the bike. I had a leak out of one of the overflow tubes about a month ago, so flushed the carb until the leak stopped.

Wondering if it's something as simple as taking the carbs off for a clean, or if it could be something bigger.

What do you guys think?

Have you checked your plugs to make sure you didn't foul them? I don't know how long you're running it with the chokes on, but it shouldn't be but a minute. Choke is for starting, but once it starts to warm up you take them off.

first they are not chokes they are enricheners

so as you strart the bike it will warm and the engine will go up to close to 4k rpm

then it will start to run so rich as it warms that it will choke itself out

once the rpms start to rise shut one choke then the other off the bike should settle to a warm idle of 13-1400 rpm

if it does not it could be ignition see the tests below or the pilot jets may need cleaning from sitting

do you have stock cdi if so do the stator test to see if you have a bad or weak coil

https://motofaction.org/motorcycles/honda-cx-gl/how-to-check-test-stator-honda-cx500/

once you have the reading either plug them in on moto faction or call me

Back
Top Bottom