'77 Yamaha RD400 "Jigsaw Puzzle"

Redbird

Dolor est Magister Optimus
DTT BOTM WINNER
So, I guess I'll finally start a build thread on this bike since things seem to be starting to happen... uh... more frequently.
This isn't my bike, but it's in the family. It belongs to my Bro, Matt.
Purchase date on her was Feb. 2015.
And this is how she arrived...
IMG_5890_zpsea062bdd.jpg

IMG_5959_zps4891d22b.jpg

IMG_5960_zps133658d4.jpg

She was a roller and about 90% there. The motor had been removed and completely disassembled by the PO (actually by the PPO).
From there she sat in the corner of Matts garage while other projects and life got in the way.
About a year ago, she migrated over to my shop.
FullSizeRender_zpsdnqq5vdf.jpg

About 6mos ago, when I wasn't working on my own stuff, I slowly started assembly of the literal "bucket of bolts" that was the engine. This is where I nicknamed her Jigsaw Puzzle. With help of Corey (clem) and several online parts fiches, she started to take shape.
IMG_1367_zpsqtrnuhtm.jpg

IMG_1752_zpsvf857ryk.jpg

IMG_1758_zpsmjdkgbdd.jpg

IMG_1759_zpslm3aqiux.jpg

All new seals/gaskets were installed along the way, as was new ignition components and clutch.
IMG_2927_zpsbejoxl9f.jpg

And some parts that had deteriorated over the years.
IMG_3547_zpsdyu5xqsl.jpg

IMG_3550_zpsm2wzjffd.jpg

She was complete and buttoned up about a month ago.
IMG_4455_zpsrobfaj96.jpg

About three weeks ago Matt dropped off the carbs I made him clean. And Friday before last (4/6) I got the motor back into the frame.
IMG_4380_zpskuszi5f3.jpg

IMG_4379_zpsumubsg6i.jpg

Then Sunday (4/8) she returned to the land of the living.
https://youtu.be/qtXsPrim7Mo
Surprisingly, she fired on the first kick, ran smooth and crisp, and settled into a nice idle.

Now, with a running motor, all the fun can begin :)
As of last Saturday afternoon, she looks like this...
IMG_4429_zpsyyvojfzx.jpg

IMG_4430_zpshaf2pz5k.jpg

IMG_4431_zpsaxrih9vv.jpg

Frame, swingarm, and wheels will be off for powdercoat soon. New bearings, bushings, and tires will follow shortly after.
Everything will get cleaned, polished, and/or painted before being put back on the bike.
Plans are for a mild restomod right now. Low bars, rearsets, and a solo seat will be the main deviations from OEM for starters.
Then it'll be, Ride, Enjoy, and Modify as inspiration strikes.

Neither of us thought to set up the video beforehand :eek:
She was running for over a minute before I said "Oh Shit! Lemme grab the camera!" :p
And since we just had to hear her run once more before teardown, here's a quick vid of her second fire.
https://youtu.be/KyUzRHW1AXQ

Maybe watching this will teach me how to be a little more precise when I build. Everything you do seems to be run over with a fine tooth comb.

Re: '77 Yamaha RD400 "Jigsaw Puzzle"

Nice man. Glad to see that plastic bin is doing it's job. Lol
I need to let the PPO that you got that bike running again, he'll be stoked.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using DO THE TON mobile app

that is just so cool.

to come from those plastic bins to a running bike

irk miller said:
Maybe watching this will teach me how to be a little more precise when I build. Everything you do seems to be run over with a fine tooth comb.
917W6tc4afL._SX463_.jpg

:p :p :p

Thanks guys ;D

IMG_4519_zpsms9m8g0u.jpg

Finished up the last bit of stripdown on the RD400 parts that are heading for powdercoat this week.
Tires, wheel and headstock bearings, rotors, sprocket, etc., and removed the centerstand mounts.
This'll be kind've a "before" pic. When they come back I'll shoot another pic in the same position.

Damn, excellent job getting a box of bits together again into a running engine! Impressive. Looking forward to following the progress :)

Thanks for the kudos guys ;)

Well, last minute decision was made to remove the OEM footpeg mounts, and the seat hinges/lock bracket. Which means everything is still here ::)
I got everything cut off yesterday. Just need to go back with the flapwheel to smooth out the grinder marks.
Should still be heading to powdercoat by the weekend though.
IMG_4520_zps1pi7nb2z.jpg

IMG_4521_zpsfzvijaxa.jpg

IMG_4522_zpsmahepfqw.jpg

I'm interested to see how you mount your rearsets. The stock brackets are pretty ugly and heavy too, good to get rid of them.

The rearsets will mount where the passenger peg/exhaust hanger bracket bolts on. Those brackets are still there. I removed the front peg brackets that are under the motor.

Those brackets are plenty strong and don't need to be tied into the swing arm pivot if you are planning on making new mounting plates for your foot rests. You'll either need to get a shorter pivot bolt or add some spacers/washers to make up the difference though. I know you have it all apart now, but looking at your assembled pics your side stand will be a problem. Might be worth checking into it with the pipes on to make sure you don't have to do some sort of relocation of the mount for the side stand before you take it to powder. I have seen more than a few examples where guys have simply bent their side stand to clear the pipe. (lots of different pipes, but nearly all require some side stand surgery) This in itself is not too bad, but invariably results in the bike leaning over much farther than stock. That is a real problem at least on the 350/250's because the sheet metal cross bar that the stand's bracket is welded to is too weak to withstand the extra force from the increased lean. It ends up cracking and failing. I don't remember if the 400's are the same. In any event, it might be a good idea to give it a good look and maybe reinforce it before you paint it. I have personally done this several times, and my solution is to cut it off, weld a larger, thicker pad under the mounting location and then weld the original mount back on. It is a fair bit of work for such a simple thing though. Hope you are also going to trim off those lumpy front stock pipe mounts - they look pretty obvious with chambers if left on!

Back
Top Bottom