Beachcomber's Tales from the day

Here it is then .................... settle down for a long Christmas read !

There are some repititions in the story [ from previously ] and pix ..... but they are now all in context.

Forgive my senility.

Some earlier tales have been interwoven – please forgive any repitition that might offend – apologies now.

The Shelby Connection –

Part 2 - The Shelby Endorsement, blagging free show stands and the Innes Ireland Memorial rally, Le Mans and the infamous Peripherique.

We skip forward several years now – to the early 90’s for my next meaningful encounters with Shelby and Shelby American.

Although I had my own successful design and Replica Sports car manufacturing business, I still maintained a working relationship with my old pal AC, who I’d first encountered around 1970 through my Drag Racing activiites [ “Americar” ]. Adrian ran a successful – if mundane - GRP manufacturing business. The most exciting items being motorcycle top boxes ! After I left Americar and via “Deals on Wheels”, I set up my own US style speed shop “Muscle City”. That was reference to the multitude of Muscle cars [ US ] that always surrounded us ! It wasn’t long before I was importing speed equipment and Rodding parts. I’d always had a thing for Comp ‘27T Roadsters – Eddie Sigmund, Neil Mahr, John McLintic and others, so I imported a complete 27T Roadster kit from Total Performance AND a Gratiot Track T. After suitable mods to both bodies and parts, I contacted AC to get him to make me a set of moulds and produce kits.

A friendship developed alongside the business connection and eventually we were both in the business of manufacturing our own versions of the Cobra.

Although AC was an excellent salesman – he didn’t like dealing with all the customer “trivia” questions and I soon came to front some of his displays at various exhibitions on his behalf. Eventually, I sold my Cobra project off to a German customer to concentrate on Porsche replicas, which gave me a free hand to assist AC’s sales drives whenever he needed me. This also included arranging shows and advertising. It was during this phase that we received a call from Shelby American to enquire if we were interested in having Carroll check out the RAM Cobra with a view to a personal endorsement of the product ………..WOULD WE !!!!!!!! Initially we thought it was some sort of wind up from our pals, but eventually we came to realise this was the real deal.

Before we proceed, just a brief sidestep to return to the statement in the previous Tale about my German pal Jurgen Mohr who marketed my Cobra rep, and later took over my Porsche 356 Speedster, T6 and 550 Spyder projects. I continued to liaise with him and carry out consultancy work on all his models including the Gullwing Merc and his own Cobra. Jurgen always wanted to set his Cobra above all the others, and after we [ RAM ] secured Carroll’s personal [ and Shelby American ] endorsement for the Ram Cobra – where to go next ?

Well, Jurgen continued to improve and refine his Cobra and eventually tied up with …………….., the then current owner to the AC name and lineage. Soon a deal was struck, and Mohr’s latest offering is indeed known as the AC Cobra Mk6 – the legitimate bearer of the AC name.

Sidestep over.

Shelby by this time had a real bee in his bonnet about “replicas” of his Iconic Cobra and wanted to set about restoring some pride in the name. Having already had a long and protracted [ not to mention expensive ! ] legal 3 way battle with Ford and Brian Angliss [ AC owner ] he decided not to go back down that route. I was directly involved in this legal battle [ on Shelby’s side of course ! ] and was privvy to most of the ins and outs of the proceedings.

Carroll also wanted to set up a European charity to match that he’d already set up in the US to assist underprivileged people [ mostly kids ] to have life saving organ transplants. One of our customers at the time was the Chief Executive of Addenbrooks Hospital – the UK centre of excellence for heart and Organ tranplants and we were able to put the two parties in touch and the European Transplant Trust charity was formed. I was elected to the post of European Liaison Officer, responsible for promotions. With an upcoming Racing Car show in Birmingham and Martin Hone’s plans for a Memorial Rally for the race driver Innes Ireland [ who succumbed to Cancer ] with proceeds going to the McMillan Nurses Foundation [ cancer carers ] – I seemed to be set for a very busy time !

Taking a leaf from Carroll’s book, I decided to play one off against the other – the racing car show organisers and Martin Hone.

I told Martin that RAM would supply 6 cars for the motoring celebrities to drive and told the show organisers that the selected celebrities would be on hand for the show to launch both the Innes Ireland rally and the Heart Transplant Trust. At this time I had told neither Martin or Carroll of my plans !

Carroll was up for it, and contacted all his old racing buddies to come along to the show to launch the Heart Fund and get them to agree to drive the RAM cars in the Rally. Naturally, I told the show organisers that we would need two prestigious show stands to promote the events [ and RAM cars ! ] On hearing that I could bring along Shelby and his cohort, that didn’t take much persuading and they provided the two stands free of charge As an aside, I received invitations to the evening’s Black Tie ball for myself and Mrs.B. I have never seen so many race celebrities in one place together, let alone mixing and conversing with them.

Again, rather than rehash a previous story – with apologies here it is in it’s original format –

“Carroll Shelby – The Innes Ireland Memorial Rally”

Several people have contacted me over my connections with Carroll Shelby – so here’s a brief backgrounder as a prelude to the main story.

In 1978 I visited my old pal [ and partner in the UK based “Americar” speed shop ] Keith Harvie, who had moved to the US to set up Performance Automotive Wharehouse [ PAW ].

I spent some time with Keith – including visiting his neighbours on the trading estate in Tarzana – including one Don Prudhomme !

Keith was busy building an Arntz Cobra complete with genuine 427 side oiler and all the good bits. I felt there was a good market for such a replica in the UK and we spoke with Steve Arntz to try to set up a deal for 2 cars. He refused to supply outside the Continental USA – so Keith bought the 2 kits for me [ !! ] and shipped them to England where I’d just set up my speed shop “Muscle City”.

The “chassis” was an abysmal mess, the body wasn’t much better. So we completely revamped the body and I designed a chassis taking Jaguar suspension. That was my introduction to Cobra replicas – there then followed 25+ years of involvement developing, manufacturing and selling. Along the way I developed a friendship with my pal Adrian Cocking from Realm Engineering [ RAM ] – who at that time made the fiberglass bodies for me. I continued to liaise with and design for AC over the years, so when Shelby American contacted Adrian to discuss a sole UK approval for Cobra replicas – I was called in to head the negotiations. Long story short – the approval was granted [ unique outside the US ] and I became very friendly with Shelby and ended up assisting in the setting up of his European Transplant Trust – handling organ transplants for underprivileged people. I was designated as the European Liaison Officer.

It was under this guise that I organized the vehicles for the celebrities to drive during the memorial festival for Innes Ireland. Innes was a truly talented driver who like many succumbed at a far too young age to cancer. This was at a time when the drivers were not so full of their own importance and counted each other [ in the main ] as comrades as well as competitors.

I arranged for a display at the National Racing Car show to showcase the Transplant Trust and it was during this time that all Shelby’s car racing buddies got together to honour Inness Ireland with a huge cavalcade, culminating at Silverstone Race track.

I arranged cars [ replicas ! ] for Carroll [ Cobra of course ], Sir Jack Brabham [ D Type ], Richard Noble MBE – former world speed record holder [ XKSS ], D Type for John Surtees MBE and various D’s and Cobras for other dignatories including the Lord Mayor of Birmingham.

I arranged for a private evening soiree courtesy of the show [ they paid of course ] and then arranged for Carroll and his buddies [ Brabham, Moss, Brooks, David Piper, Salvadori and Richard Noble ] to attend.

One of the stories from the evening…………………. Roy Salvadori and Carroll were talking about the early GT40’s with the first big block cars. With the car entered for the Le Mans 24 hour race, after a dozen or so laps, Salvadori declared the cars wrere “bloody dangerous”, and although the drivers persevered - Salvadori decided enough was enough – and “found himself” stuck in the sand trap at Mulsanne corner and unable to continue !! Carroll and Salvadori had of course been team mates over the years – none so famous as their 1964 Le Mans win in the Aston Martin – securing Shelby’s championship year. Carroll’s description of that car? “In reality a pile o’ shit”. This event returns later in the tales, when I organised RAM cars for the 35th anniversary at Le Mans were we had the official European launch of the Heart Fund.

There were some pretty fuzzy heads at the driver’s briefing the following morning for the start of the Rally from Birmingham’s NEC to Silverstone race track. The briefing had informed the drivers that they were to obey all the UK speed restrictions ………………… that lasted for about 15 minutes on the open road when Brabham blasted past Shelby and he gave chase ! Soon it was a pretty well free for all with speeds hovering around 130 mph +. As far as I’m aware, none of the participants received speeding tickets. The rally was a huge success, with over £80K being raised in total.

In all, 2000+ pretty prestigious cars congregated in the car parks of the National Exhibition Centre. The first stop over was the Jaguar Works in Coventry, where a lavish lunch had been put on by Jaguar for the dignatories. When the cavalcade started out again – the Chief Constable [ who was a guest ] emphasized that this was taking place on public roads and that the national speed limits REALLY should be observed ………………………

Well that lasted for all of 5 miles until Shelby overtook Sir Stirling Moss and gave him the finger ! Later the police reported a convoy of “fast moving cars” travelling on the motorway at speeds in excess of 130 mph !! No action was taken and the whole trip turned into a bit of a tear up.

I was travelling in my Cobra with the BBC television cameraman [ lady actually ] to record as much as possible.

It was a pure delight to see Shelby totally at ease with his racing mates, even my intrusion with the camera and interviews was not an imposition as I was considered a friend.

It was a revelation to hear stories that at the time could not possibly have been published. Like the time a certain driver at Le Mans put the Ford GT into the sandbank at Mulsanne corner rather than drive it as in his words it was “Bloody lethal”. Or when describing his championship winning Aston [ with Roy Salvadori as co-driver ] as “basically, a sack of shit”. Or when Carroll was asked about Enzo – “a man who needed a size 12 up his ass”.

All the celebs and dignatories gave up a considerable amount of time – some travelling 1000’s of miles to be there. Over £50K of the money raised was split with specific Cancer Charities, and apart from the evening soiree – the celebs received not a penny.

Apparently Innes Ireland was a definite hooligan – in a nice way. A rebel rouser and one who loved to party.

Carroll told us of the time after the Spa race, when Innes decided he wanted to see the view from the top of the local church. Having had a few drinks [ after the race ] he was refused entry to the church …….Carroll and the boys bet him he wouldn’t be able to get to see the view as the priest was adamant at not letting the drunken revellers into the church. So Innes proceeded to climb up the outside of steeple ! He did make it to the top, but didn’t make it down again before the priest had called the local gendarmerie. When they arrived - lucky for the boys they were race enthusiasts – Carroll arranged for all present to autograph copies of the race programmes and forget about Innes’ little escapade.

When the cars eventually arrived at Silverstone they were all lined up around the circuit – with Carroll with Moss riding shotgun in the lead RAM Cobra. The cars stretched 3/4s of the way round the circuit and were 4 abreast. The Cavalcade then took 3 tours of the circuit before parking up for the speeches from the various celebs. The whole event was filmed by a bunch of friends from a local Film and lighting hire company, who with the management’s blessings took out several exceedingly valuable cameras, sound and lighting equipment – not to mention two company support vans and a specially adapted motorcycle film platform!

It would be hard to imagine today’s crop of F1 superstars all coming together for such an event for one of their number

So we move on and to Carroll’s personal endorsement of the RAM Cobra. By now RAM have set up headquarters in a 7000 sq.ft facility in Witham, Essex [ the village where the ancestral home of Ginetta was also located ] and the Cobra [ and D Type ] replicas are continuing to be market leaders.

By this time Shelby decided not to go down the litigation route, but rather to give his blessing and endorsement to what he considered the “top” replica around at the time – something the other replica manufacturers would have to compete against.

As previously, this came down to 4 contenders in the UK – and in reality a short list of two – DAX and RAM.

Shelby and his entourage descended upon both facilities without prior warning – DAX being the first to visit.

Although their product and manufacturing plant was first class – Shelby was ultimately put off by the fact that their top Cobra model was powered by a Jaguar V12 and not a traditional V8.

So, by the time he arrived at the RAM HQ, his mind was already mostly made up. The final decider was that just as he arrived, a customer Cobra – powered by a fully period dressed 302 Ford - was being road tested ! Shelby soon slipped behind the wheel – and his mind was made up during that first test drive. There then followed weeks of negotiations with SA – Carroll coming in on the important decisions. One such was the badging for the endorsed car. His design team came up with a pretty crappy roundel [ I still have one somewhere ! ] to replace the AC logo commonly on the front of the car. I suggested rather that we replaced the Ford 427 side fender badge, with one bearing the endorsement and Carroll’s signature. I did a rough sketch – including a likeness of Carroll’s signature – and when I sent it to SA they assumed Carroll had already seen and approved the draft ! So that’s the story behind the Shelby fender badge logo. Armed with this, the RAM marque went on to sell Worldwide and become one of the most respected replicas available.

During one of the previous meetings to discuss the promotions for both RAM and the Transplant Trust – I suggested that we could do something for the upcoming 35th anniversary of Shelby’s Championship winning year in the Aston. Rather than repeat the story – here’s the earlier tale reproduced.

Again a little backgrounder is required here. During 1993/4 I was heavily involved with Shelby and Shelby American – initially collaborating with SA on Carroll’s endorsement of the RAM Cobra replica, and as I became more involved – and friendly with Carroll – he asked me to head up the European branch of his Shelby Transplant Trust. I was appointed European Liaison Officer, and in this post I was also tasked with getting the Trust as much publicity as possible. This began with the Innes Ireland Memorial Rally [ subject of a previous tale ] and continued with my securing Free stand space at the prestigious Racing Car show held in Birmingham – see attached pic.

It was whilst attending this show I introduced Shelby to one of the organisers of the LeMans 24 hour race from the Automobile Club de l’Ouest. He [ ACO ] had approached me with a view to us running a round of the RAM / Bardahl Trophy series prior to the 24 Hours race proper. The RAM / Bardahl Trophy was a one make series for identical RAM Cobras – which now had Shelby’s personal endorsement. In the event, the control tyre supplier to the series cried off as they were concerned about the stress of 10 laps including the fearsome Mulsanne Straight – even with chicanes !

The ACO were pretty dissapointed as they wanted to mark Shelby’s [ with Roy Salvadori ] 35th Anniversary race win [ in the Aston ] which secured Shelby’s World Championship.

I suggested to him that maybe I could persuade Shelby to attend and we would use several of the Trophy series cars in the cavalcade laps before the race. He jumped at the suggestion, so it was just a matter of running it by Carroll – with the platform that we could also have a high profile promotion for the Transplant Trust – job done.

It ALSO just so happened that the current owner of the race winning Aston – Harry Laventas – is a REAL petrolhead AND the Aston was being displayed at the same show – see where we’re going with this ?

Harry was delighted when I rolled up on his stand with Carroll and Salvadori in tow ! Carroll and Roy were re-united with their race winning car and Harry was over the moon with the publicity opportunities of having Carroll pictured in his car. We all attended an evening soiree [ paid for by the show organisers ! ] at which I suggested that Harry might like the opportunity for Carroll to drive the car around LeMans on the occasion of the 35th. anniversary of his win. Does a Bear shit in the woods ? Another deal done.

Why all this effort you may ask – well it had always been my ambition to drive around LeMans in the pre-race cavalcade – as any competitive appearance would be most unlikely !

With all the deals in place and the handshakes done – it was just left for me to organise things.

We prepared the car that Carroll had driven at the Innes Ireland Rally and 6 of the Trophy cars – we didn’t want any foul ups. Carroll called me to let me know he was bringing Bob Bondurant and Pete Brock over – could I organise RAM Cobras for them to drive ? Won’t bore you with the details of the nights of midnite oil burning, but we eventually wound up with the cars ready the weekend before the race. I was tasked with taking Shelby’s ride on a car trailer, whilst the other cars went via car tranporter.

So to the event – again pretty well working flat out the week before with little sleep I set out with the trailer accompanied by Mrs.B and AC from RAM [ Realm Engineering ]. I’d been a regular visitor to the 24 Hour race for the previous 20 odd years, having not missed a race since my first visit in 1968 [ another 100 or so tales right there ! ].

This was a journey I could do with my eyes shut ……………… well actually they were shut, about 3 am on the notorious Paris Peripherique. Yes, I fell asleep momentarily and awoke to find myself heading for the steep curved banking. Nearly got away with it, but just clipped the back of the trailer which then resulted in a burst trailer tyre, spinning round [ 20’ trailer and similar size Citroen CX Estate ]. When we came to rest [ AC and Mrs.B had been asleep when it all started ] it seemed like everything must surely be wrecked. Fortunately there were very few cars around at that time in the morning and we were just surveying the damage when a van full of Gendarmes turned up. They weren’t worried in the slightest that the accident had happened – just how to clear the road before rush hour. I suggested the best way was to take the Cobra off the trailer [ which had jack knifed into the back of the Citroen ] get that off the road and try to disentangle the trailer and Citroen and get that off the road. I should point out that we had smashed one wheel and ripped another tyre to shreds. Oh yes – Shelby’s Cobra had slid across the trailer and broken a chunk out of one of the “one off” wheels ! No other damage to the car, which was quite miraculous – except we were still 200 miles from LeMans with a wrecked trailer. There was also a 5 gallon Jerry Can of petrol in the boot of the Cobra which somehow had flipped the lid open spilling high octane fuel all over the road ! And there were the Gendarmes sitting on the Armco – casually smoking the obligatory Gitanes !

Having managed to pull the trailer and Citroen apart, we found there was surprisingly very little damage to the car and apart from a damaged light lens we were good to go. That just left the trailer – eventually we managed to sort out two diagonally opposite hubs with fully inflated tyres, but it was obvious that the Cobra couldn’t go back on. So there we were, wounded trailer and Cobra with a chunk broken out of the wheel. We elected to drive the Cobra and just take things steady with the trailer and car. We stopped for a well deserved breakfast and rang back to the factory to get one of the lads to drive out that day with 4 matching wheels and tyres for the Cobra and 2 spare wheels for the trailer.

And all this before we even arrived at the circuit. We eventually limped in to the campsite behind the Grandstands at 6 in the evening – only to find that AC had forgotten ALL the passes and paperwork to get us in ! 30 minutes of wrangling later and we were in. Just as we pulled in to the area reserved for Shelby and the others – the broken wheel on the Cobra finally gave up and broke completely !

The Bardahl hospitality boys had set up the truck and awnings etc. for us - and the ATS company [ Cobra Daytona Replica ] had set up their hospitality truck and arranged 3 motor homes for Shelby, Brock and Bondurant. The head guy at ATS was trying to court Shelby to endorse his new Dayona Rep, and had gone all out with the hospitality to impress him – and the designer, Pete Brock.

Brock and Bondurant said they’s like to get acquainted with “their” Cobras – Carroll of course had already done a few hundred miles in “his”. Carroll took his Cobra out for a run and was none the wiser about my mishap on the way down. He did comment that the car was wearing different wheels to the last time he drove it !

On the evening before raceday the ATS guys had decided to thow a big party in Shelby’s honour [ remember the sucking up bit ? ], but an hour or so into the festivities, Shelby excused himself, and came round and joined our party as he said “with the good ole boys – not those starched up Frogs”. It wasn’t long before Brock and Bondurant also crept away and joined us.

That was when Mrs. B introduced Shelby, Brock and Bondurant to the wonders of Pastis – Pernod to be precise – the stories flowed thick and fast of Shelby’s early days. That was a wonderful evening under the Sarthe stars.

Race day dawned with a beautiful sunrise and everyone had crawled out of their respective pits by 9.00am to a typical “Full English” breakfast – again the boys declined the offer of joining the French party for their typical “Continental” breakfast ! We prepped the Cobras one final time and took them onto the circuit to line up before the Cavalcade. Carroll asked us if we’d be peeved if he drove the Aston on the first laps with Harry Laventas – as if !!

So we all set off on the Cavalcade with myself driving “Shelby’s” Cobra – my lifelong automotive ambition finally achieved. Although I did have a job to do ! We needed pix of the event – some I even managed to get in focus and frame. We all came into the pits after the parade laps when Carroll transferred to the car I had been driving and I swapped to one of the race Cobras to follow him round. At the last minute a French TV cameraman asked if he could ride shotgun to film the event. I was grateful for that, as it meant I didn’t have to try to take pix at 100 + silly miles an hour. Carroll waved across and started off down the pit lane, I put my foot on the throttle – only to have the cable snap !!!! What were the chances of that………..

Not to be done out of my extra laps [ this time just the two of us ], I quickly pulled the outer cable off and fed the inner through the back of the bonnet so I could operate it by hand – that was on a 275 bhp race engine BTW. I forget just HOW many times I’d done precisely that as a get home fix on my bikes in the 60’s !

By this time Shelby was at the far end of the pit road and I had some serious catching up to do ………. Ah – problem, one hand on the throttle wire – which I couldn’t let go of, and one hand to steer ..oh shit. I asked the TV guy to change gear for me as I obviously had no free hand. He said he couldn’t – and then decided he WOULD after I took my one free hand off the wheel to change gear ! I finally caught Shelby up by the time we got to the Esses before the Dunlop Bridge – the Esses were a little exciting with just one hand on the wheel.

The next two sections were pretty straightforward, but by this time Shelby was up at around 120mph + and the swoop into Tertre Rouge was looking decidedly iffy. However 400 yds into the Mulsanne Straight and the additional power of the race Cobra came into play and I’d caught up with Shelby and the cameraman was ecstatic with the shots he was getting. I have to say he was a brave guy, not sure I’d have been wielding that camera around kneeling up in the seat with no seat belts !

All was going really well until we got to the first chicane – I’d been up and down the Mulsanne dozens of times in all manner of fast cars – but NEVER encountered the chicanes before – oh dear. I arrived at the first chicane way too fast and in the wrong gear and with the cameraman concentrating on getting his shots – I just had to go for it. Shelby was well impressed when I came round the outside of him in the chicane, I didn’t let on afterwards that I was on the verge of total loss of control [car and bowels ]. I was ready for the second chicane and I got the camera guy to select 3rd. [ 5 speed box ] and brake down to the correct RPM, rather than change down twice as you would normally. Shelby pulled away a little at the exit of the chicane as he was in the right gear ! The Cobra was then given the beans and we just topped 185mph as I caught Shelby just before the 40 mph Mulsanne Corner. Again, travelling way too fast, the car ended up in a beautiful power slide [ that’s to say more luck than judgement ] with the cameras flashes in the crowd going wild. Next was the series of bends at Arnage, this time I got the cameraman to put the Cob in 3rd. and “pottered” round whilst Shelby showing his old flair just powered through and was gone. The rest of the lap went without hitch, until we came to the new to me Ford chicane before the start finish straight.

Shelby was only supposed to do one lap as the time was running down and I was ready to go into the pits – which circumvented the chicane - so at the last moment I had to take the chicane to follow him ……….again lurid slides and much encouragement from the crowd – if only they knew. The marshalls and officials jumped out down the straight and Shelby realised that he wasn’t getting another lap and slowed to take the adulation of the crowd – I fell in behind, didn’t want to miss that reflected glory moment.

The cameraman asked me if I could do a burnout so he could make his final shots through rubber smoke – could I !!!!!!!!! He was talking to a fully paid up Comp Altered driver ! He steadied himself against the roll bar – and at 7000 rpm the clutch was dumped and a full 100 yds rolling burnout was the result, oh yes and I got a serious bollocking from the marshalls.

Back in the pits and the cars were taken into the paddock, whilst we went on up to the hospitality suite. Oh how the other half live.

The rest of the event was pretty much an anti-climax. Shelby was feted as the Grand marshall of the event, we got to have a superb meal put on by the ACO – and then we went back to our camp site to enjoy the racing whilst Shelby was whisked off here there and everywhere.

Then down to Earth - we spent the next few hours after the race straightening out the trailer and tow car and getting 4 good wheels and tyres on it for the trip home.

That wasn’t quite the end of the adventure - Harry Laventas had flown in on the Saturday morning [ in his private jet ] landing at the airport adjacent to the track. The plan was to take Carroll and the boys back to London for some further festivities before they went back home. What we didn’t know was that the main Organ Transplant Centre in France had organised an evening meal to cement the European part of the Transplant Trust. That only left Myself, Mrs.B and AC to represent the Trust as Harry had to be back in London that evening. AC begged off – as that kind of thing is not really him. Mrs. B and myself lapped it up ! I think the party finally finished around 3am – by which time we were too “tired and emotional” to even contemplate going back to the campsite, only to find that the French had booked a suite for us at this VERY expensive hotel – all paid for. When we got back to the campsite the next morning – it was very desolate. Everyone had left and it seemed a sad end to what had been an amazing experience.

And now some 18 years later everytime I see AC’s trailer – I look at the bow in the nearside metalwork and think of that 3 am adventure on the Peripherique – and my week with some true motoring legends.

The Transplant Trust launch was also a roaring success and Carroll was reunited with his race winning Aston [ # 5 ] with current owner Harry Laventas for a parade lap, prior to getting in “his” Cobra for the solo lap with myself following up in the Cobra Race car carrying the French TV cameraman.

As I have stated before – I have been supremely privileged in my life to have been involved with and become friends with some of the top names in automotive racing history, what is it they say …….priceless.

BTW – in the intervening down time, some more bike related tales have reappered in my fuddled brain – next year though – that’s if you can stand more.

My "Free" film crew for the Innes Ireland Memorial - with my good pal Paul Hadley 3rd. from rt.

Carroll at the launch of his Shelby Transplant Trust [ European ]
Mrs.B with the leMans race winning Aston
Carroll signing "his" Cobra [ A4 COB ]
CArroll's car with others going off to the I.I.Rally

Shelby's pals signing up for the STT - 4 legends + BC !

Richard Noble [ World Land Speed guy ] in a RAM XKSS
Salvadori followed by Carroll [ I.I.Rally ]

Carroll ready for the off
AC and Carroll in the car that clinched the Endorsement.

Sunbeam Tigers setting off in front of the Cobs
Carroll & Harry in #5 Aston
Lined up ready for the Le Mans cavalcade
AC and CEO Addenbrookes [ Heart Transplant centre of excellence ] - my Race "Camera car next door !

AC in front of me [ A4 COB ]
Carroll and Harry just entering the Mulsanne Straight from Tertre Rouge
Carroll readying himself for his solo lap [ with me in the camera car trying to keep up ]
A$ COB with the BArdahl Trophy boys in our camp

The B/C designed fender badge

Great stories and pics BC, I really enjoyed this one......... I know a little something about heart transplants being seven years out on my new heart !!!!!!!

dewjantim said:
Great stories and pics BC, I really enjoyed this one......... I know a little something about heart transplants being seven years out on my new heart !!!!!!!

Congratulations on that one ................. I know there were at least 50 recipients of various organs during my time as Liaison Officer for the Trust .......... makes you feel good that you may have done something worthwhile in this life.

BTW - one last Bike related tale coming up before Christmas [ probably ]. Again another gentle [ 'ish ] tale this time

"Cafe Racer - the definitive beginnings, oh yes - and Record Racing .........pure bollox"

So there will be a final Tale before Christmas ....... I was put in contact with "Dommie Dave" from the Tales - I completely lost touch with him, but due to the wonders of the Interweb, a mutual friend put us in touch.

We had a long rabbit over the phone [ he lives in Cornwall now ] and coincidentally the topics for my last Tale came up in our conversations.

It was great talking first hand with a guy who featured in my memory banks [ and the Tales ! ]

Pass me those Rose tinted Mk 9's ;D

The "Christmas Tale" is coming this week .... and thanx to my long chat with Dommie Dave, he has reminded me of several more Tales worth the telling - next year.

Quite out of the blue, an old artist friend who used to do commission paintings for my replica car customers called in to see me at the weekend.

Out of the blue ? Last time we spoke [ 10 years ago ] he had moved to Greece and we had lost contact with each other. He's back living in the UK now and just happened to be passing .........................

So, why is that of any interest ?? Well he has been doing a lot of motorcycle artwork commissions recently - in addition to cars, aircraft, helicopters ................. and when I mentioned the "Tales", he said why not do an illustrated Coffee Table book !!!! This was without any prompting or prior knowledge that this idea has been sculling around for a year or two !

So, I'll be going back over the Tales to revamp them ready for that "book" - maybe ready for next Christmas !

Here it is then - the last tale for 2014 ............................

Beachcomber’s Tales from the Day. December 2014

“Café Racers – The definitive beginnings, oh yes, and Record Racing …………….. pure bollox.”

I was talking to an old riding mate from the Sixties [ Dommie Dave ] a few weeks ago – we’d lost touch in the past 30 years or so, and had a lot of reminiscing to do. Dave has gone on from being an absolute hooligan [ see “Missing Motorcyclist 2 and the G45 at Teds “ ] to the CEO of a major printing company ! He lives in sunny Cornwall these days and get this ……. still has his Dommie ! Albeit now stripped [ 25 years ago ! ] for a rebuild and refurbish. Coincidentally – he now lives 20 miles from the scene of one of the Tales - “Five for Sunny Cornwall” ! Dave also fondly [ ?? ] recalled the night we went to the Woodlands Caff [ The Crapping Owl ] – when he was the recipient of the contents of my flu ridden nose …..arrrggghhhh. Not a Tale as such, but previously recorded. We chewed the fat back and forth about those far off Golden [ note – not Rose tinted ] days. Dave featured in a lot of my “Tales”, even when not mentioned specifically. I actually bought one of my 500 Dommies from Dave, which really peed him off when I stripped it down to find it had half of the Competition Department’s goodies inside ! He’d bought the bike on a whim – then sold it to me before he’d even taken delivery of it. That Dommie was VERY rapid, and would stick with most 650s up to a ton. It maxed out a an honest 105 mph, but was very quick getting there.

Naturally several [ MANY ] topics came up – two of which bear relating for the benefit of those who didn’t ride through that era [ late ‘50’s / early 60’s ].

I’ve aired my thoughts on several occasions about those in their 30’s, 40’s, 50’s – even 60’s – who like to spout on about what it was like in the day, as if they had first hand experience. Many’s the time my TV only just escaped destruction as I threw various objects at it after some knob head told me yet again about “Record Racing” or how the term Café Racer came about, or the riots and punch ups at Brighton and other places.

I recently watched an English made Café Racer documentary, which in the main was good, with some new archive film and some good interviews. All was quite serene, I was enjoying the programme – and the TV was safe from hurled objects ……………… until Dave Croxford came on to be interviewed. For those who don’t know – “Crasher Croxford” [ clue’s in the name ] was a circuit racer of some considerable talent – win it or bin it was his motto. A real character and someone who came from the roads to the race track.

However, he then started to go on about “Record Racing” …………… for anyone who doesn’t know, RR was supposedly the basis for two riders to shoot it out with a blind from the Caff Juke Box to a predetermined point [ usually a roundabout ] and back again before the record finished – first one back the winner……….. B O L L O X.

There WERE races to roundabouts / whatever and back – but NEVER to a record. The Ace Café on London’s North Circular road is often quoted as one record racing venue – again bollox.

Try this at home kiddies [ or don’t, depending on health and safety regs in your area ].

MOST records of the late 50’s / 60’s of the type that found their way onto Café Juke Boxes were LESS THAN 2 MINUTES in length …………….. Elvis – “All Shock Up” – 1 min 57 secs, Beach Boys – “I get Around”, 2 mins 15 secs – etc., etc., etc. A 3 minute play record was not common at all.

Here we go then …….. record on Juke box [ has to start according to Croxford and others ] – run out to bike, kick start – or bump start out of car park and feed onto main road ……. say 20 seconds assuming it starts first kick ? Now accelerate up to whatever your bike will do in the mile or so to the roundabout – brake [ feeble drum brakes ] and do the return run – brake again from whatever your max speed was in that 1 mile or so [ 70 / 80 MPH ? ], back into car park – bike on stand and back into the Caff to the Juke box. That’s also assuming the general traffic didn’t get in the way.

Very roughly – if you achieved an average of 60 mph and it was a 1 mile [ all for an easy life ] each way - and that’s some going – there’s 2 minutes + slowing for the roundabout, plus the 20 secs getting to the bike and another 20 seconds getting off, on the stand and back into the Caff – that leaves roughly ONE MINUTE to ride 2 miles from a dead stop to dead stop. Yeah, right. It wasn’t unknown for it to rain in the UK to add to the excitement.That’s also assuming you have a capable bike – Bonnie, Dommie, Goldie, CSR, etc. ……….. but a 350cc AJS, 500cc Bullet, 500cc Matchless ?????????????

Now someone with a better mathematical brain than me will work out the dynamics of that scenario – but I think you get the point.

I think Croxford’s “local” Caff was Johnson’s – close to Brands Hatch – anyway, he mentioned it in his interview. I did that run a few times [ without records ]. Out of the car park and down “Death Hill” [ clue’s in the name again ] to the roundabout at the bottom and back up to the Caff. The approach to the roundabout was very tricky and deceptive as you approached it down a 1 in 20 hill. That was around a 3 mile round trip, with that 1 in 20 gradient to climb on the way back. The local Johnson’s Boys usually came out top due to their “local knowledge”.Try that to “I get Around”.

Those with 250cc plus Japanese bikes with disc brakes excluded from this debate !!

As stated in previous tales – “our” usual course was from the Lay Bye to the Gosnay’s roundabout, back up to the Moby Dick roundabout and back past the Lay Bye. The difference here was that the bikes were allowed to continue past the Lay Bye, this was after some hero came barrelling into the Lay Bye, ignoring the fact that his brakes were not up to the job of stopping from his over ambitious speed – and he skittled over several bikes and people – he did “win” though ! More often than not a race would be from one Caff to another – “Café Racer”.

In 6 - 7 years of active riding during the “era” – I never ONCE witnessed a “Record Race” …. neither did Dommie Dave.

There – rant over [ ‘til next time ].

Which brings me to the term “Café Racer” – either applied to the rider or the machine.

The popular newspapers in the 60’s applied various terms which were meant to be derogatory / inflamatory – “Ton Up Kids”, “Boy Racers” [ see further down ] and “Coffee Bar Cowboys” being the most used. At that time [ 1961 ‘ish ], we simply called our bikes “Specials” – with the builders as “Special Builders”

“Café Racer” came from a totally different direction – and was adopted by us riders of the time. Almost since the dawn of motorcycling, there have been refugees from mainstream or leisure riders - from pre - war “Promenade Percies” up to our riders of the Café Racer era [ 1950’s / 60’s ] - and beyond to our current crop of devotees.

So ………………………………. “Café Racer”.

In the late 50’s the race bikes to have [ over the counter ] were Norton, Matchless, AJS – or if you were a bit impoverished – a Goldie.

The “top” classes of the day were 350cc and 500cc, and the major manufacturers produced models suitable for those classes. Usually the same chassis / running gear with whatever capacity engine to suit.

The Manx Norton [ 350cc / 500cc ] was probably the most prolific – and successful, with the Matchless G50 [ 500cc ] and it’s cousin the AJS 7R [ 350cc ] the next weapons of choice. BSA also offered their Gold Star in both 350cc and 500cc capacities – but they were well outclassed by the others. This was in the days before the onslaught of the Japanese Two Strokes – and later, the 4 stroke mutltis

No mention of Café Racers yet ??........................................ Patience.

The AJS 7R got the nick name of “Boy Racer” – in itself a somewhat derisory term used by the owner’s of 500cc machinery ! See where this is going ? Strangely, the 350 Manx was always known as “Junior Manx”.

Then in the early 60’s, peeps started modifying Triumph and other “specials” and even Norton Twins. This was a relatively inexpensive way to go racing - Club level at least. Even the factories eventually caught on to this trend [ twins ] with Domiracers, and the Matchless G45 [ 500 twin ].

So, there were hundreds [ thousands ] of “Beachcombers“ around building specials in their sheds – initially as roadgoing machines – and as their licences became filled up with “tickets” for speeding etc. – most decided life on the race tracks was far safer [ for licence and life ]. Tracks like Brands Hatch had “test” days [ Wednesday ], when Joe public could take their bike and hurl it round the track for the princely sum of ten bob. That was 1/2 of a pound sterling [ which was 20 bob / shillings ], which was probably around £10 [ $16 ? ] in today’s equivalent. The early Track days !

I started out with a virtually standard 500 Goldie, which even after some tweaking was well below par compared with the “pure” race machinery, and it wasn’t long before the Goldie motor had to go, especially as my Triumph 500 Grand Prix engine was quicker, more reliable and cheaper on parts - so the first of a series of “Tribsas” got built – and raced [ see “How to Tow a Gold Star – not” ].

As the track was open to all – you would often find yourself on the track / in the paddock with some of the star riders of the day - Derek Minter, John Cooper, Bill Ivy …………… I eventually drifted [ almost pun ] towards sidecar outfits – first on the road and then pure racers [ see Tales ]. Brands was a favourite for the “Continental Circus” and particularly the sidecar racers, and I always made sure I was there when the Circus was in town testing for an upcoming meeting. Brands was about a 30 - 45 minute journey from home at the time – so most Wednesdays saw me there for a blind round. Initially that would be with seriously modified road bikes – Tribsa, Dommi, Goldie.. …….

We did our best to make sure we kept out of the way of the serious riders – but that didn’t always work out and we were soon dubbed “Boy Racers” by the “proper” Club racers and pros. Getting there ……………….

Then in the early 60’s due to the large numbers of road based specials, that name “Boy Racer” had morphed into “Café Racers” by the pros. By this time there were more “Café Racers” at the test days than serious machinery ! The name gelled with those of us part time racers / posseurs and it stuck. I imagine this was repeated around the country – but I heard the term first around early 1963 at Brands on one of the test days.

Later, some of these specials would go on to become serious contenders in their own right – Dave Degens went on to win International races with his Tritons and specials [ Dresda ] – and still builds super bikes to this day [ you can even order a Barcelona race winning replica]. There were the “Monards” [ Monty / Ward triumph based ] and Paul Dunstall with his Nortons.

It wasn’t long before the main factories started to produce their own “specials” based on roadgoing bikes – with the Thruxton endurance race being the major showcase. Every self respecting factory had their weapon of choice – thinly disguised racers. Bonneville, Velo’s Venom, Ajay’s CSR, BSA’s Goldie and Rocket Goldie …………..Thruxton especially became “the” race for manufacturers to win and attracted some very serious pro riders. I owned an ex. Thruxton Constellation – ridden by the great Bob Mac, which finished second after being dropped and repaired – beaten by one Mike Hailwood. That Connie was seriously fast – I mean seriously. I held the unnoficial title of top bike with it at the Lay Bye for many weeks and pulled a genuine 125 mph. That’s 125mph via the rev counter – not a high compression speedo !

Some of us “Café Racers” went on to take up racing more seriously [ if not always successfully ! ], but in mixed fields of Manxes, G50s, 7Rs, and the like – we, and our bikes were always known as …………………….. “Café Racers”.[/i]

Off the shelf Cafe Racer - not what it was all about really. ::)

This is more like it - could have been Dommi Dave's ! ;)

The Dave Degens [ Dresda ] Barcelona rep. - He'll still make you one ! 8)

Thruxton Endurance race

The Monty / Ward "Monard" - very successful, if a bit "homely"

Who said I had a thing for Connies !!!!!!! I ended up with this one - King of the Lay-Bye . ;D

This was another one I owned after it was raced.

And just to start me off all over ................................... I just got my latest [ Dec/Jan ] copy of "Cafe Racer" [ it was a Christmas prezzie, honest ].

There they go again, in their definitive ""Cafe Racer A-Z", there it is under "Record Race".

Now that will be another era of readers who "know it's a fact".....................................

oh yes and under "K - Kent" they have moved Brighton from it's home county of Sussex - to Kent.

A bit like saying New Orleans is in Carolina. It MUST be, I just read it.

Beachcomber, I finally had the chance to enjoy your last two stories - great fun! And, the photos where icing. Memories of spending the night in a shop in Big Hill, Kentucky (a shed on the side of a country store) pulling a TR6C Triumph apart (my first bike) to replace bearings wiped by the PO never changing oil and the crank plugged solid with sludge. The mechanic let me use his tools (although I had a set of Whitworth), but I had to use my manual so that his would stay clean. He handled the trany part and I did the rest. He had a spare set of bearings from his drag bike with only one run on them that he sold me for $8. I had $20 to my name at the time, so he left me with gas money for my car to trailer the bike to my next duty station in Charleston, SC. That engine ran great after that, but two days straight and 600m mile drive after was rough. Glad I was young!

pidjones said:
Beachcomber, I finally had the chance to enjoy your last two stories - great fun! And, the photos where icing. Memories of spending the night in a shop in Big Hill, Kentucky (a shed on the side of a country store) pulling a TR6C Triumph apart (my first bike) to replace bearings wiped by the PO never changing oil and the crank plugged solid with sludge. The mechanic let me use his tools (although I had a set of Whitworth), but I had to use my manual so that his would stay clean. He handled the trany part and I did the rest. He had a spare set of bearings from his drag bike with only one run on them that he sold me for $8. I had $20 to my name at the time, so he left me with gas money for my car to trailer the bike to my next duty station in Charleston, SC. That engine ran great after that, but two days straight and 600m mile drive after was rough. Glad I was young!

"If you want to keep your memories - first you have to live them" - Bob Dylan

Thanks BC, I never believed those record racing tales anyway. Although Crashford made me wonder if maybe it happened once or twice. I also know that Wilsmore was to young for the Cafe Racer Culture of the 50's and early 60's even though he talks as though he was there. I will give him lots of credit though for reviving the Cafe Culture of that time. I remember back on 76' when I first got into street bikes....... I wanted to put clubman bars on my new 750 Yamaha shafty. No bike shop in my part of Kentucky even knew what clubman bars were so I had to settle for a set of drag bars. Unfortunately, most people here still do not know what a "Cafe Racer", a "Mod", or "Rocker" is. Hopefully this will change this summer when we put on a Mods VS Rocker rally at the local bowling alley, complete with scooter show, caf' racer show, and hopefully a pin-up girl contest. Also, didn't the mods and rockers mostly get along with the rockers and mods getting digs in one another much the same as the Harley VS Rice crowd here in the USA ???

Yes, in reality we ALL got along for most of the time until the newspapers had got no news stories and decided to make some up ! Lurid tales of Rockers with cut throat razors and bike chains - Mods with crow bars and Italian Stillettos [ not the footwear type ! ].

And yet for ALL this arsenal of mayhem - I don't ever remember ONE fatality amongst the Mods and Rockers. The famous Brighton punch up was preceeded the week before in the papers with tales of "upcoming riots" between the two parties. And guess what - the journalists and photographers just all happened to be in brighton that weekend ...... cynical, moi ?

I had several good mates who were Mods [ Dangerous Roy for one ]. We DID frequent different hangouts -coffee / Mocha bars for the scooter riders and caffs fo bikers.

Wilsmore ................................. a bit of an enigma. yes, he was 7/8 years old when the Ace CLOSED down and obviously hasn't got a clue about the nitty gritty of the day, but - he did have a vision, whether that was driven by business or passion - who knows. The result is a success whichever way you look at it. Doesn't get away from the fact that in the day it was a shit hole !

Thanx for the kind words - a few more in 2015 - courtesy of my 2 hour phone chat with Dommie Dave !

4eyes said:
We are lovin' the stroll (roll?) down memory lane. BC
Please keep it up.

Why thank you kindly sir ............................. believe me - I'm also having a ball reliving those events in my mind !

The human mind / memory is quite amazing - I quite often find myself going upstairs - or downstairs . and then think "what was I going to do". And yet - I can recall with absolute clarity events of 55 + years ago !

Sounds from the day are crystal clear - like the twitter from a Goldie silencer, the bellow of my Connie engine, my outfit on full drift with the skinny tyres protesting. I KNOW the "experts" say you cannot recall smells ............. but I still "recall" the smell of Castrol R, hot oily engines clicking and cooling down after a blast.

Back
Top Bottom