Anyone Recognize These?

buckeyebike

Over 1,000 Posts
Bought a Triumph Trident today and the guy cleaned out his garage while I was there ;)

Anyone recognize these? Would like to get them back in the hands of someone who wants them, if they are worth anything.

triumph sprung hub ? should be werth some decent spondooliesw
http://www.ebay.com/itm/TRIUMPH-MANUAL-SOLID-SPRUNG-HUB-1951-ALL-MODELS-ON-CD-/380686805829?pt=UK_CarParts_Vehicles_Manuals_Litterature_ET&hash=item58a2b3ab45

Got this reply on Triumph forum: That is a sprung hub, early 50's 500 Speed Twins had them. Also called a spring wheel.

DO NOT take the rear hub apart "to see how it works" unless you have the manual! It's been over 30 years ago since I was even close to one of these "things" but my recollection is that there are a bunch of coil springs compressed under considerable preload inside.
Having a coil spring sticking out of your forehead is the way to have a really bad day...
Pat

Thanks for the heads-up. I have cleaned it up externally and nothing more. Several folks on the Triumph forum offered the same advice/warning.

Will be interesting to see if it is worth anything. My understanding is that they were pretty popular for hardtail choppers/bobbers in the day. I found some numbers stamped in it and it actually cleaned up pretty well. Off to ebay . . .

When BSA added rear suspension they went with plungers. Triumph put the springs inside the wheel for a neater more stylish look.

They don't work all that well but look really nice on a GP or Speed Twin. They were replaced in about 54 or so with a swingarm. That one appears to be missing one spring, but heed the advice not to pull it apart.

I can't find anything to compare it to pricewise- sometimes that's a good thing :)

Any idea what it might be worth?

looking good !! be sure and use calculated international shipping
if you want top doller you must offer it up world wide
good luck ill be watching it !!

Good idea on shipping, thanks! It is pretty heavy. Trying to figure out best title:

Vintage Triumph SPRUNG HUB Speed Twin GP Chopper Hardtail Bobber Spring Wheel Harley BSA

Did I miss anything?

buckeyebike said:
Good idea on shipping, thanks! It is pretty heavy. Trying to figure out best title:

Vintage Triumph SPRUNG HUB Speed Twin GP Chopper Hardtail Bobber Spring Wheel Harley BSA

Did I miss anything?

very well covrd id say
i dont think you need sprang
on something like that ill weigh it add 3lbs +$10 handling
you should offer in the description,to cut the spokes and ship just the hub if they wish, some will like that and it saves some weigh

Yeah, been selling on ebay since '99 . . . will probably just start it at $200 on a 10 day auction and see what it does.

I read somewhere that the sprung hub was one of the first, if not the first, factory part with a WARNING stamped on it:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Triumph-Sprung-Hub-Mk2-Spring-Box-Used-/130614683656?pt=UK_Motorcycle_Parts_13&hash=item1e693de808&vxp=mtr#ht_376wt_1324

How about these? I found some old BSA and norton Parts with a few random parts wondering if anyone recognizes anything

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 144
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1,002.7 KB · Views: 140
Back
Top Bottom