Harley Davidson, waving, and "the nod line"

My experience down here in southern Louisiana is, most people will wave no matter what you're riding. The exceptions would be the "elitist types". But they run the gamut from the "weekend badass" HD riders (affectionately known as Hells Proctologists), through the "hangin off MotoGP style while doing 20mph on the offramp, flipflop/cargo short/wifebeater wearing" sportbikers, to the "I sniff my own farts out of a wine glass" scooter commuters. But then there are assholes in every group.

I'll generally wave. If you wave back, great. If not, oh well. I sure don't lose sleep over it either way.
Of course you have to use some common sense too. If I'm downshifting in a decreasing radius turn with mud/water/gravel on the roadway, I'm not likely to throw the deuces at you (honestly, in that type of situation, I probably wouldn't even notice another rider waving anyway). Similarly, if you're a worry wart riding on worn/damaged tires on a pothole infested highway, you should probably keep both hands on the bars too ;)

From south shore MA, always ride jap bikes and get a wave from just about everyone....

....except the ape hanger guys.

I think it's a good point about the shorter rising season having something to do with it, around here when there's not 3' of snow on the ground in find that most people are generally just glad to be on two wheels.

I've been conducting a local experiment. When a sportbike rider on the mainland I waved and was waved at by namy. A simply flick of the wrist or the pez sometimes works too.

I moved to Vancouver Island and there are farrrrr more harley riders here. My experience is that they do not acknowledge me on my cafe or my enduro. Enduro guys only acknowledge me on my enduro.

So now, I flip harley riders the bird for fun and they never notice. It's the small things that entertain me in older age.

I ride em all... I made the mistake of choosing in school and I sure wish I could go back and ride em all then.

Back
Top Bottom