Just say no to d-rings

cosworth

Coast to Coast
I've had a lot of helmets in my day. From bmx, to sportbikes to enduros etc. etc.

The d-ring is a tried and true system sure, but I bought a cheeseball Zox helmet on a whim last year for passengers and tried it out one day. The quick release on this $40 helmet was fantastic. I hate fiddling with d-rings in the heat when I want my lid OFF. I found myself reaching for this helmet just for this quick release.

So I bought some from China in a 3 pack last year and finally got off my ass last night, busted out the black thread, and installed them. Making sure to not actually harm the straps when separating them.

Very, very happy to have this setup on all my helmets now. I bought another pack this morning just to have some spares.

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/3-Sets-ECE-Motorcycle-Helmet-Quick-Release-Buckle-Motor-Bike-ATV-Helmet-Chin-Strap-Clip/32346531527.html

Alternate:

http://www.tmart.com/Long-Stick-Pull-Motorcycle-Helmet-Speed-Clip-Chin-Strap-Buckle_p117026.html?cc=CAD&fixed_price=hk_intl&gclid=CJPRts3AiMYCFVaTfgod7XQA0w

593511.jpg

Those are neat, I just use the pull tab and never release it so it has to be re fed through the D's, I guess after 40 years D rings are just like tying shoes.

arai-xd4-chin-strap-cheek-pads.jpg

I never have a d ring issue either lid off in half a second and never pull the strap all the way out of the d. Those look neat though do they get in The way or chaff at all?

Lots of helmets don't have the pull tab. And the two that I do have I still have to mess with it a bit to get them off.

No chafing, you sew the release close to the jawflap and the insert slides into it. I have a three clicks in rule if thumb for connection.

Cutting the excess strap is easy with a sharp blade followed up with a little bbq lighter action to seal the fray.

For $2 each and 20 minutes of sewing/messing around you can't go wrong.

No way would I use something like that.
In an accident your likely to end up dead.
Even the sliding buckle type will hurt you pretty bad (ruptured airway just below vocal chords)
'D' rings may be slower but they are way safer

cosworth said:
The clasp is on the side. It's a common misconception.

Wait - is this on a skid lid?

Probably OK then because the clasp is going to be the least of your worries in a crash.

if it was safe, it would be on DOT helmets in the US, Marketing will do anything to sell, and this is a cool idea, looks like a race boot fastener, color pop and gadgetry sells.

I have two ECE rated full face helmets that came with that came with the same quick release. Hardly skid lids. I always thought that the ECE standard was slightly higher than the DOT standard, so maybe these things are safer than you think.

All you have to do on a D ring is pull down with your index finger and it loosens right up. Either way, the strap looks good.

motorcycle-helmet-certification-old-school-helmet-testing.jpg

In Ontario, Canada you cannot modify the helmet strap closure mechanism in any way, or substitute for other closure types. Doing so will get you a ticket for non-certified helmet. :(

Boudiepitbull said:
I have two ECE rated full face helmets that came with that came with the same quick release. Hardly skid lids. I always thought that the ECE standard was slightly higher than the DOT standard, so maybe these things are safer than you think.

Cool! does it also carry the Snell third party agreement in testing?

I think its cool and probably as safe as it can be if used correctly but still a gimmick and I personally wont be cutting my double D's off :eek:

I had a similar latch mechanism on my Nolan helmet about 10 years back. And Schuberth's looks like this:

verschluss.jpg

That being said I like the D-ring in my Shoei RF1100.

No Snell endorsement on my two helmets, no DOT either, just the ECE. I bought them in the UK. They're V-Can helmets. Not the best but probably not the worst out there. I have yet to have the roadside chat with the Man about them, but they don't seem to look as closely at full face helmets as they do at shorty and novelty helmets.

Meanwhile... I don't think I would ever alter my D ring straps for the sake of a quick release, but if a helmet comes from the manufacterer that way I'm down with using it.

Boudiepitbull said:

Thats interesting as I believe the ECE standard is superior to Snell and DOT. (which are more of a puncture test)
Pretty sure ECE checks breaking of strap as well plus closure security?
I know ECE looked at rotational forces on neck/spine plus shock transmission so shell became more sacrificial 'crumple zone' rather than extra hard (Snell)
It may well be mine was a freak accident but personally I wouldn't use that type of closure, even though the chances of the same accident are really small. I much prefer the relative safety and smaller size of 'D' ring ;)

Tune-A-Fish said:
Why do I wanna piss in a helmet right now. :(
personally i love it when some stupid fucker puts his helmet on the parking lot floor right in the piss and shit and i have seen more than a few tear the helmet back off agin fer the ants what crawled innit ;D ;D cracks me up ever time
i prefer to set my helmet somplace clean and bug free

Back
Top Bottom