Un-remarkable BMW re-fresh. DONE.

trek97

No Custom Title
DTT BOTM WINNER
Wasnt planning to do a thread on this. Then though WTF maybe theres some BMW guys out there, who might be interested in sharing some experience.

Definitely Not, looking for a bike. Just perusing CL early Saturday morning, to simply pass the time while drinking coffee.

Then this...

If it was the real deal...Ive probably missed it. So, I emailed the guy. an hour later he texted me. He had just listed it.

So, the wife and I took the 30 minute trip into town to have a look at it. Turns out he also works at the University.

Now it sitting here adding to my already clogged garage.

87 BMW K75c w 28k on the clock. Last plated in 2014, running and ridable. Has been garaged. Just beat to death from sitting in a sunny parking lot at work for all those years.

Tipped over once or twice over the years. Apparently these bikes are a bit tippy if parked on the centerstand. A big wind can even blow them over. Missing front signal and bent handlebars.

So made a tune-up list "+" and got busy hunting "stuff".

Major and supplement tune up kits from bobsbmw.com
Shinko 712s
F & R brake pads
Turn signals
handle bars
gators
panniers

on the way. 8)

Messing around starting the "clean up". til stuff arrives. Kiley suggested Easy Off oven cleaner for all the sun cooked road grime aluminum parts. He nailed it easy-peasy. Wipe on, wipe off.

Also, talking w Kiley about powdering the new bars and the cooked heat shield.

Parts should start arriving today. 8)

Re: A rather un-remarkable BMW re-fresh.

My little ride vid...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4P-2ys3Qcx4

Thanks for stopping in guys. Please continue to check in on me every now and again. ;D

A K bike with only 28K on it is only barely broken in, they are very long running, smooth engines. Nice find!

Yessir. Now maybe you'll quit bugging me. HAHAHA

HerrDeacon said:
A K bike with only 28K on it is only barely broken in, they are very long running, smooth engines. Nice find!

Thanks bro! Fingers crossed the PO didnt forget to change oil for all 28k.

deviant said:
Yessir. Now maybe you'll quit bugging me. HAHAHA

NOT EVEN FOR A SECOND!!!

I knew something had arrived when I got home...ole lady had fresh pot brewed.

Tires, bars, signals, brakes, major and supplement maintenance kits sitting in the garage a good start. 8)

I had to get to it. I got lucky. Tim my tire guy texted earlier to tell me he would be free tomorrow eve. Dudes a pretty busy guy.

My Tire buddy Tim, just a great guy to have on my team.
Yes, that is shag carpet on his shop floor.

Heres a tire he just finished changing out.

An old man w 1300 dresser. Put these Dunlop D404 tires on new. 1500 miles of interstate later...this.

Worn all the way around.

trek97 said:
Heres a tire he just finished changing out.

An old man w 1300 dresser. Put these Dunlop D404 tires on new. 1500 miles of interstate later...this.

Worn all the way around.

That's exactly how we wear tires out here in Illinois. My bagger rear tire looks really similar right now after about 6,000+ miles... :) I have an appointment next week to get it changed finally.

More done.

Surprise. Draining relatively fresh 90w out of the final drive. A good sign?

final drive and drive shaft pulled out for fresh moly.

cleaned and greased.

New pads going in.

Stripped the crap old finish off lowers.

amazon gators and ebay hard bags arrived

Bromz did me the favor of blasting the heat sheild and ebay bars. Talked w Kiley about powdering these. But hes gonna be tied up getting ready for Barber these weeks. I dont want to wait so plan to epoxy them.

drained fork oil and pulled em off.

fork oil came out pretty clean.

bobsbmw.com kit included oil and crush washers.

had to pull windshield off to access reservoir. ugh

old pads were starting to separate from the backing plates.

new boots installed and everything torqued up.

Re-visiting the final drive. I want to double check I got the drive shaft seated properly and clean up any excess grease.

drive shaft splines appear to be in pretty good shape considering the 28k miles.

Got the shield and bars epoxied.

MitchellSK said:
The epoxy looks great in the pics.

That bike is gonna last forever.

Thanks Im pretty happy w the job. And I have every intention of this machine being the LAST motorcycle I ever buy.

datadavid said:
Rode one of these once, loved the engine!

Ha, I rode one once myself. About a mile or so. It was considerably more powerful and smoother than the 360.

Weekend update...

Bent bars replaced

IMG_0929_zpsjdymkkem.jpg

IMG_0930_zps9mt9spgh.jpg

front brake fluid replaced. Now I know why the 3 Hondas have drums! It wasnt bad bud it sure did suck.

IMG_0897_zpsjcrrnnvi.jpg

IMG_0898_zps2c2gtb9i.jpg

IMG_0899_zps3aqtxakq.jpg

Got the front end all done, cleaned and buttoned up.

That front fender is 3 pieces and those 3 pieces suck to install. Actually its just the rear section around the brake lines that was most of the trouble.

IMG_0932_zpspr0estmq.jpg

Found a leak at the clutch push rod boot. $45 + shipping for a new one. Its still soft, cant see any cracks or tears.
I adjusted the clutch which helps to center the spring under this boot which can cause leaks. It slowed the leak by about 90%. But not fixed. Gonna wait til winter and dig into it further. BMW guys are telling me pull it, clean it, a dab of rtv, fixed until it cracks from age.

I took this before adjusting...
IMG_0928_zpsotafulao.jpg

Went for round 2 this afternoon.

A BUNCH of scrubbing, Filled the final drive w 90wt, hit the drum w 220 grit, un-wrapped the cellophane from the brakes...

Now Shes bolted up and back on the ground.

IMG_0933_zpsqegun7yk.jpg

IMG_0935_zpsmofyzxbf.jpg

IMG_0936_zps8la9z9zw.jpg

Cant forget to toss the seat on her and adjust the handlebars.

Next should be more engine scrubbing UGH!, coolant, engine and gear box oil, fresh spark plugs, air filter and repair broke turn signal.

Back
Top Bottom