1973 XL175 Vitamin C Hell Ride

budlite282 said:
What battery are you planning on using?

Where will it fit on the bike?
Ahhhh. You caught that. I'm probably going to get an EarthX.

deviant said:
Ahhhh. You caught that. I'm probably going to get an EarthX.

Duh.........I'm planning on converting my CB100 to 12v possibly, so gathering all info that I can.

budlite282 said:
Duh.........I'm planning on converting my CB100 to 12v possibly, so gathering all info that I can.
You may be able to go with an AGM. I may do that too, but the stock 6v is super small if I want to utilize the stock cage. I have no room under the seat.

deviant said:
You may be able to go with an AGM. I may do that too, but the stock 6v is super small if I want to utilize the stock cage. I have no room under the seat.

Mine is small too. Unless I do away with the air box and build a battery tray.

Last step to converting this to 12v is the battery. I considered a lithium jawn, but I'm too impatient for that. I want to ride. Went to the local Autozone 1/4 mile up the road and got the nearest size AGM. It's cheaper and still fits in the triangle under the side cover. I will have to alter the cage, though.

95a53543f15335c017a0fcb03fd8940e.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Had an AGM in my last bike and killed it in the garage tuning the bike a couple times. Charged back up and never had a problem. Tough batteries.

deviant said:

Do you think they may have an AGM 12vt. equivalent to a YB3L-A? the size is correct for my battery box on the CB125 which holds a 6N6-3B 6vt.

Cool Eric......................................

I have AGM's in my Harley and CB750....can't beat them.......will be putting one in the CB350F and the CB100, when it's ready.

I'm one lazy sucker.......need to get this Mighty Max back on the road first.

I really need something with a heater this winter.....froze my azz last year.

grcamna5 said:
Do you think they may have an AGM 12vt. equivalent to a YB3L-A? the size is correct for my battery box on the CB125 which holds a 6N6-3B 6vt.
I don't think so. As close as I've seen with 6ah, which is about as low as I figure my kickstart only bike can go, the AGM is about 1/2in to 3/4in larger in every dimension. The lithium batteries are all that I know of that's smaller. There is a 3ah battery that is a bit smaller than the AGM I got.

deviant said:
I don't think so. As close as I've seen with 6ah, which is about as low as I figure my kickstart only bike can go, the AGM is about 1/2in to 3/4in larger in every dimension. The lithium batteries are all that I know of that's smaller. There is a 3ah battery that is a bit smaller than the AGM I got.

1/2" to 3/4" larger.. I think I could adjust/redesign my oem battery box to fit that.What 12vt. AGM # you mean ?

grcamna5 said:
1/2" to 3/4" larger.. I think I could adjust/redesign my oem battery box to fit that.What 12vt. AGM # you mean ?
The one I got, up in the pic. Your 6v battery and my stock XL 6v battery are the same.

grcamna5 said:
#AZX7L according to the number on that box. Have you got the 12vt. system hooked up yet ?
That's the right number. I have the windings installed, but I haven't installed reg/rec or the coil yet. Those will go in tonight or this weekend. I'm hoping to have it running this weekend.

Too early to tell. I'm running a Nology ProFire coil, which may not be the best for this bike, and the stock condenser. I don't know enough about condensers to know whether or not that is an issue. During the first start up, I was getting a strange ignition spark at the top engine mount. I changed out spark plug wires, which seems to have made that go away, except its still acting like I'm getting spark grounding to the frame.

First time I've experienced this one-

https://vimeo.com/144118487

I changed the plug wire, which made this go away, but now it runs like shit. Won't get out of first or go much over 15mph.

I see that sparking around the large bolt head,weird.
What about cleaning the ground connection between the engine to the frame? I needed to clean my cases where they mounted to my frame after I powder coated the frame;I cleaned down to bare metal around the bolt holes and then put dielectric grease there just in case.
I don't know if that will fix your sparking stuff but it might help. :)

also wonder if the Nology coil is pulling too much power from your system ?

Back
Top Bottom