Vintage Privateer Smoker (RD350 Race Bike)

First Vintage Race Inspired Smoker

CarbsAndCylinders said:
Subscribed! I love these bikes.

What kind of rotors are those, EBC? How much dollars were the emulators, I want to do that to my RD350 as well. Do you plan to port or move to 30mm carbs?

Brian

The rotors are YZR rotors, and I'll be running YZR calibers as well. For now I'll be staying with the 28mm carbs. The emulators were more expensive than I really had to spend, but I do plan to ride this bike hard so I wanted to make sure not to cheep out on the suspension. They are $200 but but come with the necessary adapters. Obviously wont be able to tell you how I like them for a little while but I'll post up once I can say.

Re: First Vintage Race Inspired Smoker

The bike isn't at my house and I've had one day off in two weeks... Gimme a break man. Haha... Ill get it to ya asap.

Did a little more work. Got the left side mount completed, took off the center stand and side stand and moved them to the complete bike as there wasn't a center stand and the side stand was hacked up. Stuck brads tank on just to help it look a little more like a bike.

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1373168383.288245.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1373168383.288245.jpg
    114.2 KB · Views: 1,213
  • ImageUploadedByTapatalk1373168394.369943.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1373168394.369943.jpg
    86.5 KB · Views: 1,185
  • ImageUploadedByTapatalk1373168402.187097.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1373168402.187097.jpg
    106.9 KB · Views: 1,213

VonYinzer said:
The bike isn't at my house and I've had one day off in two weeks... Gimme a break man. Haha... Ill get it to ya asap.

If its easier you can just send me the entire bracket and I'll make a copy and send it back.

JSJamboree said:
If its easier you can just send me the entire bracket and I'll make a copy and send it back.

At this point, you come to Pittsburgh and Ill give you the whole fucking bike. ;)

Seriously though, I haven't even seen the bike in two weeks. Ill make time to get you what you need Monday (I work all day tomorrow) after the day job.

VonYinzer said:
At this point, you come to Pittsburgh and Ill give you the whole fucking bike. ;)

Seriously though, I haven't even seen the bike in two weeks. Ill make time to get you what you need Monday (I work all day tomorrow) after the day job.

You bring it to mid Ohio and I'll take it off your hands. Might even pay for your gas

Been awhile since this bike has seen any progress. Got the motor back from doc since our late night case fracture. Waiting to get the jugs back from the machine shop and hopefully we can get back on track here.

Swapped over an rd400 transmission, got a new crank put in since my bearings weren't so good. New seals inside.

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1376769977.387305.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1376769977.387305.jpg
    125.7 KB · Views: 1,234

Here is the inspiration, the old TR-2. Like I had mentioned before, im not going for a replica of the old factory race bikes but instead just inspired by. Hopefully will get this back on track soon.

Attachments

• TR-2.PNG
    TR-2.PNG
    704 KB · Views: 1,195

Wow good build! I'm working on a very very similiar build myself so should be interesting to follow this one.

Rad stuff Jordan. I'm with you 100% on using the Yamaha factory racers as inspiration, but finding your own path for the build. My plan for the fairing was to do a "privateer" race bike from the 70s. Probably "sponsored" by some off the wall Japanese company. Really get folks scratching their heads as to whether or not it was the real McCoy. ;)

I havent yet decided what I plan to do for 'sponsors' yet. If I ever got someone to donate stuff to my bike I would put them on of course (that will never happen though). My current plan is no sponsorship, as with all my bikes I like clear lines and designs and random decals takes away from that. However, we'll see what happens when we get there. Still alot of time before that becomes important.

Any updates on this, really like the direction its going.

You don't want to know....

Hopefully this is going to get started back up soon. Need to borrow mothgils to get the frame hacked and rebuilt, he has had other stuff going on so it's kinda been on hold.

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1385047360.725368.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1385047360.725368.jpg
    109.8 KB · Views: 1,082

Looking forward to seeing what you come up with.
I am working on a rd myself and, you are just next door.
What are the plans for the frame?

Back end is going to get cut off and all redone. Not sure exactaly how yet, but that frame had the shock mounts already cut off so I might as well cut the fucker and see where it takes me

Jordan, pack it up with a wish list and about 60 miller lites and send it to Brad, it is a bit of a crap shoot but you may end up with something impressive. LOL

Maritime said:
Jordan, pack it up with a wish list and about 60 miller lites and send it to Brad, it is a bit of a crap shoot but you may end up with something impressive. LOL

He already helped build my motor, shipped me brakes, and shocks, and some carbs, and a new tripple, and a tranny, and a tank, and... im sure other stuff as well. This bike is already 80% Brad's sloppy seconds

I forgot that when I first replied, then I remembered. LOL. He has trashed enough cool bits to build 5 more bikes, you're lucky you got some of it before it met with the grinder or hammer.

Back
Top Bottom