Engine inspiration thread!

Hey Boys,
When planning out driling speed holes in covers what patterns do you use?

Any pics would be great.

Thanks.
D.

Best sprocket cover evah! generator cover not bad either!

jhlightening.png

I throw my engine into the ring. I have drawn alot of inspiration from this site and hope to continue. Took me a while but I hope you all enjoy. Keep them coming!
CL350Motor016-1.jpg

CL350Motor021-1.jpg

CL350Motor018-1.jpg

Wow WNTITAL that's a beautiful engine!

Here's my SL350. Paint is VHT Engine Metallic Burnt Orange on top and VHT Satin Black bottom.

I still need to finish polishing the fins and adjuster caps and new chrome on the points and tacho covers.

Attachments

• 2011_0921cheese0016.JPG
    2011_0921cheese0016.JPG
    182.6 KB · Views: 547
  • 2011_0930baremetal0012.JPG
    2011_0930baremetal0012.JPG
    162.7 KB · Views: 527
  • 2012_0115SL0003.JPG
    2012_0115SL0003.JPG
    111 KB · Views: 508
  • 2012_0115SL0005.JPG
    2012_0115SL0005.JPG
    108.8 KB · Views: 500
Cyclhed- I believe I looked at yours for inspiration. That's why I did my fins the same way. Nice job. It really stands out. Did you paint your engine apart or together?

WNTITAL said:
Cyclhed- I believe I looked at yours for inspiration. That's why I did my fins the same way. Nice job. It really stands out. Did you paint your engine apart or together?

Oh cool! I took it apart. It had sat for years and the rings were stuck. I honed the bores and installed new rings and lapped the valves. Your fins turned out great. Did you use a block on them or by hand? I filed mine to clean off the casting flash and they are still really sharp edged.

cyclhed said:
Oh cool! I took it apart. I had sat for years and the rings were stuck. I honed the bores and installed new rings and lapped the valves. Your fins turned out great. Did you use a block on them or by hand? I filed mine to clean off the casting flash and they are still really sharp edged.
I did it by hand. Before I sandblasted it, I took a red scotch brite on my air angle grinder and smoothed everyone of them. Then I blasted. Once primed and painted. I let the paint dry for a week and then took 600 grit with one of these soft sanding pads and sanded them wet. Then, same process with 1000. I stopped there since I liked the way they turned out. Once I was satisfied, I cleared each piece. Total time to sand both pieces was about 6 hours. I started around 10:00a.m. on a Saturday morning and finished around 4 or 5 the same day. I worked all day so I could clear them on Sunday. I heat my gargage so I could assure a good job. I also heated the parts prior to painting with a hair dryer. I worked well. I have about 2 to 3 coats of clear on each piece.

WNTITAL said:
I did it by hand. Before I sandblasted it, I took a red scotch brite on my air angle grinder and smoothed everyone of them. Then I blasted. Once primed and painted. I let the paint dry for a week and then took 600 grit with one of these soft sanding pads and sanded them wet. Then, same process with 1000. I stopped there since I liked the way they turned out. Once I was satisfied, I cleared each piece. Total time to sand both pieces was about 6 hours. I started around 10:00a.m. on a Saturday morning and finished around 4 or 5 the same day. I worked all day so I could clear them on Sunday. I heat my gargage so I could assure a good job. I also heated the parts prior to painting with a hair dryer. I worked well. I have about 2 to 3 coats of clear on each piece.
Cool thanks. You have a lot of patience and it pays off with a great result. I was considering using a 2" scotchbrite disc on my die grinder to polish them now and I probably will. Can't wait to see the rest of your scoot.

cyclhed said:
Cool thanks. You have a lot of patience and it pays off with a great result. I was considering using a 2" scotchbrite disc on my die grinder to polish them now and I probably will. Can't wait to see the rest of your scoot.
Just my recommendation but don't use your die grinder to take the paint off and polish them. I started that way thinking it would save time. It has a tendancy to chip the paint. That's why I did it by hand. Just some words of advice from someone that did it.

Here's what im workin on... 8)
Nothing special by any means but I'm proud of it!!
Background: Jug, Head, and all the internals have been coated. Ported and polished by a local guru.
Just mocked up the vm30's and I love the way its looking.
I asked this question in my build thread:
http://www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=33089.new#new
What are you guys doing as far as mounts for the carbs?

thanks for looking!!

Attachments

• 2012-01-18 18.15.31.jpg
    2012-01-18 18.15.31.jpg
    232.9 KB · Views: 594
  • 2012-01-18 18.12.41.jpg
    2012-01-18 18.12.41.jpg
    212.5 KB · Views: 505
  • 2012-01-18 18.12.29.jpg
    2012-01-18 18.12.29.jpg
    217.6 KB · Views: 518
Simple and clean. Sometimes the best approach. What do you mean by mounts for the carbs?

You don't have to mount the carbs the rubber manifolds dampen them. It's good to make sure they are fairly soft and not cracked and don't over tighten the clamps. They will be fine.

Forgot to say nice engine mate!

Re: Re: Engine inspiration thread!

WNTITAL said:
Simple and clean. Sometimes the best approach. What do you mean by mounts for the carbs?

I was thinking about making a bracket that held the Vm30's.
But from what I now understand that's not necessary. EVEN BETTER!

thanks cyclhed

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I997 using Tapatalk

WNTITAL, I have to say, that is about the most beautifully done engine I have ever seen. I am using it as a template for my own cl360 build. Thank you for the eye candy!

Discussion going on over at SOHC4 about top speed, weight, etc
I remembered Richard Noble (Thrust 2 SSC)
anyway,
here's something probably more interesting though (still looking for actual picture of motor)

http://www.jcbpowersystems.com/aboutus/dmaxrecord.aspx

"The record-breaking JCB444-LSR engine displaces 5-litres, weighs 382kg (dry), and produces 750bhp at 3,800rpm and in excess of 1,500Nm of torque at 2,500 rpm. (over 1100 ft/lbs 8) )
Two engines were used to set the new record at Bonneville Salt Flats USA in August 2006, with a total power output of 1,500bhp. Yet despite having twice the power and more than four times the weight of an F1 car, DIESELMAX had only half the fuel consumption.

Back
Top Bottom