EGLI frame, TR1 engine, build from scratch

Good afternoon,

Next small steps in the process :) wheels are in and engine is almost in... It took some time to do... lots of measuring (wheel allignment) and not realy much work. Only some spacers on the lathe. But the result looks nice.

Wheels are in:
IMG_0133.JPG

Engine in place but not mounted:
IMG_0141.JPG

Thought about rear suspension a bit and found these bitubo shocks. They look good and can be ajusted if needed.

WME.jpg

Next importand thing is enginemounts and subframe for rear suspension and seat!

@50gary:
The story wasn't that interesting after all. I had a small discussion (good discussion) with a dutch guy about how to be sure the bearings are exactly level and centric. The method i used is not the standard way to machine your steering head so I took a bit of a gamble and it worked out quite well. So all is fine after all and my steering head works great ;)

Best regards,

Loek

Thanks for the reply. I like your method of mounting the bearings. It could be used to change the caster with different inserts. I've been using heavy wall tubing and machining the bearing seats and then turning off the excess weight on the lathe. It's a nice finished product but a lot of machine work. I think I'll try your method next, thanks.
Cheers, 50gary

Hey gentlemen,

It's bin a while... but some things happend in the meantime ;) basicly worked on the frame a lot.

Started the front (and most important) engine mount:
DSC_3813.JPG

made some extra engine mounts on the back side of the engine:
DSC_3815.JPG

Now the engine in "on its own":
DSC_3817.JPG

Thought about the mufflers for a bit:
DSC_3818.JPG

Got these ducati monster S4R ones for € 90,-- brand new from ebay. I need some good mufflers to be road legal at the test... But after the test... ::)

Test fitted the tank cover and seat:
IMG_0150.JPG

shortened the seat to my taste and took some measurements for the subframe. Found fiberglass a pain to work with... :( I prefer steel very much;D Respect to the people who make something nice with fiberglass...

Built the subframe (at least tack welded it in place):
IMG_0158.JPG

Built the subframe a bit more so the builder himself 8) could have the first "test fit" to get some idea of riding position. First, "pits in/out" riding position:
DSC_3833.JPG

And then the "Radillon-Kemmel-Les Combes" position:
DSC_3834.JPG

Finally talked to the suspension guy and weighed the bike to order the right springrate suspension. at this moment the bike is 165 Kg :) and I'm happy with that. Hope to keep it close to 200 Kg when finished. In that situation the bike is almost 45 Kg lighter than a standard Yamaha TR1 wich I started with.

That's it for now, suspension should be here within 2 weeks. Than the frame can be finished ;D

Best regards,

Loek

Hat's of to you... Very, Very jealous of your work shop man... what wouldn't i give to have such a build environment... anyways great build ! ! ! ! ! !

If i can make a constructive suggestion... i would opt for a bigger front end like a hayabusa.... but even without it is a dream project ! ! ! ! ! !

Good afternoon gentlemen!

Thanks again for the compliments, it really helps :) and keeps the pace going. Some constructionwork has been done over the last weeks. I got my rear suspension parts and mounted them on the frame... all in all it took quite some time to figure out what the right position and way of mounting them right was. But in the end it worked out quite well. On the dutch forum there were some good comments about riding height of the bike and mounting the suspension.

In the pictures on this forum I was using a glassfiber dummy tank to mockup the bike. I pretty much hated working on the glassfiber seat a few weeks back so an aluminium tank is on the way :D I could order only the tank "shape" and will be making my own tunnel for it, to fit the bike. That of course because a standard imola tank will never fit onto an egli styled frame.

At this moment the bike is on it's wheels and the frame needs only a bit of work to call it "finished" ;D Than the engine comes out, the frame gets fully welded and really building the bike to a riding state can start, that includes tons of work of course, but it'll be a different type of work and i'm looking forward a LOT.

Pictures in random order:
IMG_0182.JPG

IMG_0167.JPG

first attempt on mounting the suspension:
IMG_0172.JPG

Second attempt after the comments of the dutch forum:
DSC_3836.JPG

the upper mounting plates are smaller and the lower ones are different. it makes the ride height a bit lower. And looks better.

That's it for now!

Best regards,

Loek

Good evening gentlemen,

Had a nice day to work on the bike. Sort of "finished" the frame. I had one piece left to make and did that and a bunch of other stuff.

Last piece of frame to mount the engine comes here:
DSC_3843.JPG

The piece needs to be bolted to the rest of the frame, otherwise the engine can't come out of the frame.....:
DSC_3847.JPG

Bolted piece in place:
DSC_3853.JPG

After this piece, the bike is ready to be disassembled, so the final welding can be done:
DSC_3854.JPG

DSC_3855.JPG

And the "finished" frame:
DSC_3856.JPG

The the big tube is closed:
DSC_3858.JPG

I welded the swingarm (almost done):
DSC_3857.JPG

And finally tack welded the mounting for the second cilinder head. It's gonna be a flexible mounting (steel tubes with rubber in between):
DSC_3859.JPG

From now on It's building the frame and bike to a state for the first test run(s) :D then diassemble again and have the frame checked for licence plate. When the frame passes the test (it's not that hard I heard) the bike will be build up for real (colors and lights etc....) and the the tested again for safety, noise, lights and road holding capabillities. When that's passed (more difficult than the first test) it gets a licence plate and registration number. I'm even allowed to give the bike it's own brand name ;D

But all that's still quite some time away....

Best regards,

Loek

@sunflash:
Hey that's good to hear, the tires were a bit of a gamble to be honest. The guy at the motorcycle shop is a continental fan. So that's what he got me.

Best regards,

Loek

Looks great Loek! Keep up the updates, I think it's safe to say we're all addicted to this thread like crack.

WOW. Reading this build thread is like reading a synopsis of everything I have learned thus far in the 4 years I have been going to school to be a Mechanical Engineer! You have some serious fabrication skills my friend. You are the type of builder that I am most inspired by. The kind of builder that designs things with CAD and then builds them to perfection using high end machinery. I've got my notebook and pencil ready to take notes.. ;)

Loek, the frame looks fantastic! Are you planning this as a street bike or vintage racing? I'm not sure what the year cutoff is but I want to say it's '83 for US classes but don't quote me on it...

Regardless of all that, your project is very inspiring.

Goodmorning all (at least in Europe),

Thanks all for the compliments! The progress was good last weekend, it's always nice to get some things done and keep the pace going and the compliments realy help!.

@Swagger:
It's main goal is to be a road bike, but it will definitely get track time some day ;D About the race classes I'm not sure yet... they will allow me to take part in "demo" races and trackdays for sure because the bike will look like some sort of classic. And alle the parts are from the early 80's But entering a REAL race is something different i guess. There is a fantastic 4h endurance race for classic bikes in spa francorchamps every year... but my bike was not an existing bike in the early eighties so that won'be possible. Maybe I find some class to race in... first see if it's race worthy ;)

Best regards,

Loek

The Egli (what is the proper pronunciation?) chassis is interesting in that it's a tube frame that can be made without a tubing bender. All straight tubes.
Wow, four hours at Spa. that would be an exciting way to spend a day. That would also be a good follow up track test as a review of final product.
As always..keep up the good work, it's great fun to follow along.
Cheers, 50gary

Morning,

@50Gary:
All straight tubes indeed, good remark! That's one of the most important reasons for me to build an EGLI ;) And on top of that, in theory, straight tubes are the strongest tubes, triangles the strongest form and big diameter tubes are the best for stiffness. All together the EGLI design isnt that bad ;D

I know that a trellis type frame looks great, but it's much more difficult to "understand" and design.... so that's for the next frame ;)

Thanks for still reading my topic!

Best regards,

Loek

PS. 4h at spa is indeed a great way to spend the day, the whole weekend is great. I'm watching this year, who knows what's the plan for next year ;)

The inspiration coming out from your build is not just the craftmanship but the humbleness of the creator as well.
ATB

Back
Top Bottom