Opinions please.. rear light!

Integra99

Hi all.. I'm getting close to finishing my project - CB400F but the last challenge is the rear end! Excuse workshop mess - this is not normal.. ha!

I've modified the existing seat and put on a Triumph Scramber rear fender - (this will be painted) I'm reasonably happy with the rear of the seat but having installed some fairly cheap lights - I'm not sure about them, they need some adjusting and so on but before doing all that wondered what peoples opinions are. I had 3 cups of tea and various head scratching the last few days and whilst I like the twin lights I'm not sure... maybe ist becasue the lights look a bit cheap.

107242-080218034728.jpeg

107242-080218034804.jpeg

My other options are:

Fit a more modern light such as this...

107242-080218035048.jpeg

or I try and raise the rear mudgaurd higher into the seat gap and fit a traditional rear light such as ...

107242-080218035128.jpeg

107242-080218035110.jpeg

I'd appreciate thoughts good and bad.. All my bikes are projects so its not like its going into mass production and can be changed later I guess.

Cheers all!

I wish you'd warned me. I get a serious swelling in the underwear whenever I see that gorgeous bike.

Light number 2. May as well lock the thread now.

Ha ha.. I'll be putting not safe at work warnings for you ! I spent so long looking at the rear end.. last night my Mrs is now seriously concerned ha a!

When you say light no.2... is that the Triumph one?

Ryan Stecken said:
I love the dual setup!

Cool thanks, yes this was always my plan.. love dual set up. Its just I wanted it to blow me away more, I think it might be the cheap lenses and the fact the mudguard is just in plastic gel coat at the moment!

I like the second option as well, I think it would flow better as a whole. The dual lights along with the blinkers looks a little goofy to me, and I think the wide single lens will help tie the seat and the fender in together. In any case, great job on the build!

Cheers mate, totally agree.. had a few mates round at lunch and it does look goofy.

I;ll report back after some changes!!

Integra99 said:
Ha ha.. I'll be putting not safe at work warnings for you ! I spent so long looking at the rear end.. last night my Mrs is now seriously concerned ha a!

When you say light no.2... is that the Triumph one?

No bud, the led one pictured before the Trumpet one.

I like the LED one as well, I mounted one very similar that also doubled as signals as well. It split and the LED's turned yellow on the side you signaled, cleaned the rear end up really nicely.

This is the one I used, it's on a honda but a little different style build but you can see it tucked into the fender.

index.php

index.php

You could probably easily tuck it right in the seat the same and it would look great.

I also think that number 2 would look good but I think that you need some kind of face plate to mount the light in, maybe brushed aluminium. The existing lights look like an add-on, like something is unfinished, I think you need to fill the gap between the seat and the fender with something more than just a tail light. I just nitpicking because this bike is gorgeous and I am having a similar reaction as Limey.

Sorry it was just gas but I do love your bike.

You guys are great... I totally agree with all the comments.. I've ordered a couple of units and will report back, yes brushed ally backing is needed , in truth the lights were just mocked up so I would have finished them better but they look all wrong. Also I've had to lower the fender to fit, a slimmer light will allow me to close the gap.
Thanks for such positive comments.. nice to hear from like minded folk!

Another vote for number two - that light'll tuck nicely into the arch of the seat and really clean the rear end up.

Clean the rear end up.

Yeah, sounds just as bad the second time.

Stellar looking ride you've built here mate, very nice indeed

Back
Top Bottom