Hooligan BMW R80/7

MORK

Back at er
I had lurked enough and got some great ideas from here, so I figured I would share the progress on this sucker. As you can see, it started out as one giant-ass tourer of a Airhead. Had all kinds of crazy little things done to it from the PO, but slowly it was stripped down and I built it the way I wanted to.

This was the day I parked it in the garage:

c6d6c2af53380ee6473a2b1274071a8c.jpg

Man, these bikes look great when they are done right....and this one is definitely done right.
Great job

Thanks all - although it's too bad its sitting in the garage like this right now:

(Cans find the picture - it was ages ago)

Actually, it's not too bad. After this, there will be NO leaks (the PRT seals started spitting too much and tried to kill me) and the ugly ass TRON-lookin valve covers already have their classic replacements in. - the careful eye might notice that the PO put them on backwards...

Just a little update: The accelerated oil leak from the PRT seals was caused by two things. One, the seals were deciding to slowly petrify, and two, there was a small kink in the crankcase vent tube. After 300 or so miles, not one leak whatsoever.

I must say, these boxer engines look so much better with the older valve covers. (The PO installed the old ones backwards as well - oh well)

4d0ac2edde2db3086a6cc27053502c2b.jpg

Next project: an Acewell gauge pod is in the mail...

+1 on the old valve covers. Shame they ever made the rectangular ones, but good thing the old style are still available. I had to replace mine after a long side ground the left one almost through.

Well, this thing is just the icing on the cake. Too bad that the gas gauge is completely useless. I hate wiring, but I really took my time and it came out nice - although I had to run the signal wires to the back with the new relays that the LED lights use. But that's just fine as the BMW uses a common "signal" instead of differentiating between the two. Also, the gen light wont work unless I rewire the unit to work with the "cancelling out" method that ze germans use. Don't care too much though. I wired the brake warning light there instead.

Also, to use the magnet would look too much like a hack job, so thankfully, a speedo cable gear adapter is made by them. On order!

(Update - the motor is still charging the battery, but I haven't made the right light solution as of yet.)

jkluesner said:
Where did you get the rear sets?

They are loaded gun customs. Got them from Dime City. Feel like I get asked this all the time - maybe they will send me a shirt someday. :)

MORK said:
They are loaded gun customs. Got them from Dime City. Feel like I get asked this all the time - maybe they will send me a shirt someday. :)

They take much effort to get the linkages right?

Shifter side was cake. Couple of heims, threading a rod, etc. The brake side, however - I want to re-do that. Sure, it works as is, but Im planning of a custom cable (not a rod) with built in stops.

MORK said:
The brake side, however - I want to re-do that. Sure, it works as is, but Im planning of a custom cable (not a rod) with built in stops.

Yeah the brake-side was my concern as well.. seems like the angle makes it difficult to properly actuate the lever.. like the ratio is off? I thought about doing a cable as well.. Got the idea while staring at a spare front honda wheel, but I just didn't know if I could get it to work right. Definitely let me know how that turns out, as I would love to revisit the idea with a little more confidence.

Ok.. so months later.. I'm really itching to get those rearsets thrown on there.. did you just get the universal Loaded Gun rearsets and the universal linkage kit?

Back
Top Bottom