XV920R - Fat and Low

MORK

Back at er
Well, finally enough progress has been made that I'm not wasting space on a "look what I plan to do" thread.

Bike backstory - PO bought the bike, slapped on a Hageman subframe and a seat, clipons, a gutted fart can with a Harley tip, and a $20 piece of crap eBay light.

Here she be on the way home from Wyoming to Colorado:

d8564c29420b8db56cf141b238094fbd.jpg

Luckily, I also got most of the original parts, so I unbolted the back half, and put the stock seat, subframe and fender back on to get a feel for the bike.

e28dfe08d3a05be64c4b99fc6cb203cd.jpg

It rode ok, the clipons bashed the tank, and the pipe was the most obnoxious sound I've heard in a long time. I don't think it was rejetted either so it ran less then ideal.

So now for the real work to begin...

XV920R (insert clever bike name here)

Another view of the bike in stock-ish form:

f5e240f7aef783827787f048583743ed.jpg

She rides ok, the seat is ugly, comfy, and heeeeeeaaaaavvvvvvyyyyyy. This whole bike is a pig. The rear brake has a wobble as well, but that will be a non-issue soon enough.

And the booger welds:

58eb1578da65d80d628767d070dd23ea.jpg

Re: XV920R (insert clever bike name here)

Another view of the boogers and top rate engineering put into stacking washers to bolt on the cafe seat:

b5ce210c28de1bb8adef4c3625f038a4.jpg

I'm just happy nothing more was hacked up.

So I know it's been done before, and it's not super original, but the Mojave tank just has the perfect lines for this bike in my opinion. I like the KZ650 tank with that ridge as well, but I'm giving the Benelli a try.

788a544b1c1a8dc5b379c78872ff2b64.jpg

It's one of the India copies, hardly any rust inside, a few wobbles to smooth out, but overall, it should look good after plenty of smoothing and welding here and there.

At this point I got the new Lossa Engineering pipe in. It's a great pipe I must say. I was considering the cone quieter core, but this one is a few inches shorter for a quiet baffled muffler, and the quality is wonderful. When the subframe and rearsets are finished, I have been thinking of kicking up the 2-1 pipe a hair.

It also has a nice etched LE that I like.

f23d0ba6965ef76e02d40e6670c9ccf4.jpg

I discovered that the subframe the PO hacked some mounts on was an early Hageman piece, and I think I might end up using it. Maybe as a nod to made these pigs popular, or just to make things easier. I'm not thrilled about the drilled plates, but when painted black, it might hide the battery nicely and could be unique. If I don't like it, I'll just weld up a tube support.

But for now, I welded up a kicked up frame hoop and ran and ground some beads along the subframe tray spot welds.

3b527fef88b84413f4c38eaa28f9a36b.jpg

It's starting to look like something:

d0fc5228d2f53535bd44ae8bdd8bc9a6.jpg

The start of the really fun parts arrived:

c09ba8814ad8b1593be160982f3805ce.jpg

2005 R6 complete front end. The stem from Cognito Moto is already coming at this point.

I have a CB750 nighthawk rear wheel, brake and cush drive to put on as well. From what I can put together, I will be converting to a 530 chain with an XS650 front sprocket and spacer and I forget the Honda rear sprockets to match. Should look good with a 160 rear and not be too wide to rub or bubble out the tire.

XV920R (insert clever bike name here)

And this should catch us up to the current state of the build. R6 forks on with new tapered bearings - good lord this thing is low now. I have been checking to see if the 2005 R6 has vastly shorter forks compared to all the GSXR swaps out there, but they seem to be within 5mm of each other, so I think it's just going to be a curb scraper.

24dbfebe22b0436badf9a835a7ba8d2c.jpg

I'm considering a skid plate for the exhaust even. Could look cool to make a mini front cowl skid plate. Hmm...

I'm also reminded how small R6's are, and consequently, how small this is going to feel to me. (Not a small bloke at 6'2" 200lbs) The cockpit feels nice though.

This also solidified using the Mojave tank. The XV920R tank is too ugly and bulky, I think the KZ650 tank will be too wide, but this Benelli is looking like it belongs.

So now the tank is de-rusting what little was in there, and I will be shaping and smoothing it as long as the temps cooperate. The rear wheel is curing in its new coat of aluminum primer and when that's good and ready, I'm thinking gloss black front and rear. Maybe gunmetal to show off the nice matching 5 spokes more...

Re: Low and slow XV920R

Already some great improvements compared to how you bought it. I'm following!

It's going to be gorgeous. With the modern components, I think the skid plate over the pipe would be a relevant touch.

I have frame sliders and lower case crash bars on both of my bikes and people actually comment on them positively all the time. I'm not sure why but they do add something aesthetically for mine and I suspect they'd look even better on yours with that V motor. You can't beat the functionality either, it's nice to not need new case covers if an oil slick rears its ugly head.

Sent from my iPhone using DO THE TON

ChroniclyQuickly said:
It's going to be gorgeous. With the modern components, I think the skid plate over the pipe would be a relevant touch.

I have frame sliders and lower case crash bars on both of my bikes and people actually comment on them positively all the time. I'm not sure why but they do add something aesthetically for mine and I suspect they'd look even better on yours with that V motor. You can't beat the functionality either, it's nice to not need new case covers if an oil slick rears its ugly head.

Thanks - not quite the skid plate I have in mind though. This thing actually had some crash bars initially, and they are long removed. More likely an aluminum runner underneath just to protect the pipes and case from curbs and speed bumps.

I happen to like painting wheels. Prepping wheels... not so much. But for this bike, I think I'll make an exception.

4e858e35ec807dc4cd74c9ff9a6e4ee1.jpg

Low and slow XV920R

Running some handling numbers...

2005 R6: (my obvious comparison as this is where the fork is from)

Rake: 24°
Trail: 3.4"
Wheelbase: 54.3"

R6 fork swapped XV920R:
Rake: 25°
Trail: 3.5"
Wheelbase: 59"

I'm pretty excited about these numbers - obviously a ton more goes into it, but I'm getting excited to get this done and rideable. The rear is going to come down a bit with the new tire and wheel setup, but should only be .5-.75" and I should be just fine with that.

Speaking of tires...

48ceaf9cc4713851cbaf7caf75ffffc1.jpg

jgyuen said:
Is that the new rear? I wanna see that sucker shoe-horned in there

You and me both. The rear wheel is still curing - should be mounted this week. Shouldn't take much shoe-horning, maybe a bit of spacer trimming, and I believe I have the sprockets all figured out as well for the 530 conversion.

Wheel and tire clear - picking up conversion spacers this weekend and the new bearings should be here soon...

I have decided against fiberglass, so things are going to get a bit more fun around here...

fe24e4ac170c9cf38070e884ecf22588.jpg

I see you are going the aluminum route??
Will this be your first rodeo? Cause that stump looks brand new

Good luck dude

Kamn said:
I see you are going the aluminum route??
Will this be your first rodeo? Cause that stump looks brand new

Good luck dude

Just carved it out today and made a couple test panels. The idea I have rattling around in my head should be simple enough for a first project in hammering one out.

And my good luck was sincere just incase it came across as a sarcastic or smart ass-ish
But good job on carving out the stump, do you have other tools to go along with the stump, like an english wheel or some big dollies?
And get ready to sweat like a whore in church during confession.......I started on my tank last weekend, getting the top part hammered out and boy was I sweaty as hell
But I will say this, there is an awesome sense of satisfaction when you start to form out what you have pictured in your head........also be ready to screw up a lot of pieces potentially, so have plenty of material on hand.

What kind of sheet alum did you get?

Best of luck with the aluminum! I'm just got upstairs after a few hours cutting out and bending the bottom and tunnel for my alloy tank. As kamn said, "sweaty".

Sent from my iPhone using DO THE TON

Back
Top Bottom