XV920R - Fat and Low

I'm actually debating on steel vs aluminum for what I have. I have plenty of sheet steel for practice and i might be needing it to be magnetic for what I have planned.

Right now I would love an English wheel, but to learn the fundamentals first, I'll be making a stationary forming dolly for the planishing and then using the other standard hammers for the rough work.

What's involved in doing the nighthawk rear wheel swap? New bearings, spacers, and upgrading to the 530 chain? I also have a 920r with an '08 R6 front end and can't stand that virago rear wheel. I already have a nighthawk wheel, brake, and hub. Any help would be great! Thanks!

Duncn70 said:
What's involved in doing the nighthawk rear wheel swap? New bearings, spacers, and upgrading to the 530 chain? I also have a 920r with an '08 R6 front end and can't stand that virago rear wheel. I already have a nighthawk wheel, brake, and hub. Any help would be great! Thanks!

You pretty much got it, I'm still waiting on the final rear spacer that sits in the cush drive bearing. You also obviously need the new seals but all balls has the right bearings and seals.

You also need to drill out and or replace the drum spacer.

Drilling and tapping the front sprocket will probably be the hardest part. I'm going with an xs650 front sprocket. I think I'm doing 17/36 if I remember right but I'm not sure off hand. I used a couple calculators with the different chain pitch, wheel diameter, and sprocket sizes to get as close to factory as I could.

Finally found the tank I wanted. I had picked up a Benelli Indian remake turd and was getting so annoyed polishing that piece of crap that I went out and found what I really wanted. It's been done a few times, but I don't care and I really like the lines.

9ef1f2ab991c1c92a11ab89bdb2f00d0.jpg

Looks great. The benelli is a very played out on the Virago.

What is the new tank from?

I liked the Benelli but along with the quality issues (I was welding and grinding every leaky seam) it only holds 3gal. It also just felt so narrow.

The new one is from a KZ650SR.

You guys doing these Virago conversions are just flat amazing! Well done. Looking forward to updates!

How much work is going to go into getting that Kz tank to stay put? Centre channel is obviously wide enough

jgyuen said:
How much work is going to go into getting that Kz tank to stay put? Centre channel is obviously wide enough

Almost wide enough. I need to smush in the tunnel a little. Front mounts look to be pretty good, but I won't know for sure until I set it all the way down. Rear mounts need to be welded up, but those are easy enough.

Tank mounting Tuesday. Not the final hardware and needs a bit of finish sanding, not to mention a better damper, but progress always makes me happy.

e90fe4d1d00612ac5c2c1f3a63f4b243.jpg

f143aad2b14d61376e42a8efb0e16068.jpg

MORK said:
Finally found the tank I wanted. I had picked up a Benelli Indian remake turd and was getting so annoyed polishing that piece of crap that I went out and found what I really wanted. It's been done a few times, but I don't care and I really like the lines.

9ef1f2ab991c1c92a11ab89bdb2f00d0.jpg

Damn that looks good. I stuck with the Benelli remake and can attest to its issues. Haven't finished fixing them all yet... I really, really wanted a Hageman subframe but couldn't justify the coin. Ended up with a Twigg TT frame - wish I would have just built one myself in the end.

Little things on builds make me happy - the original KZ650SR gas cap still functioning and looking nice with a little scuff and clean for example.

ec44413dd319e40df590fcd0bfeb236b.jpg

This color is never the same in pictures. Still waiting on spacer, so the chrome headlight surround was addressed. I had picked up a universal emgo bucket after looking at many options to fit the 7" led setup I wanted to use. The brushed surround and black is just what it needed.

Ugh... not looking forward to wiring though.

d69f73a4db9800797b3f24019534db87.jpg

Running no fenders are cool unless you actually get out and ride. This will also be the only bike in the shed that stops better than it goes. Looking forward to that...

12e280608fb84766609fab968eb17f33.jpg

eacba9e42376c9497222ac0fda268db4.jpg

Looking good! Diggin the color something you don't see everyday. Looks like it is close to being finished. I'm with you on the fender. Like the look without it, but I've been caught in the rain to many times to run without one. Good luck with the wiring. I use patience and beer.

And she's a roller! First time I have seen the bike outside in the sun since the week I bought it. Good lord it's low.

Current thoughts are a set of CM drop triples, and a matching rear hagon shock for about a 1" ride height raise.

6a5c4cc42ff143f8a1e6bb7d8f3c7dfb.jpg

Now... do I want to drill it for some bars, or keep clipons...

Back
Top Bottom