XV920R - Fat and Low

danielnordin said:
How did you manage to drill not one, but TWO holes in that sprocket? I'm going for the exact same setup with the nighthawk wheel as you but the front sprocket gives me headaches. Any advice?

I had picked up a set of cobalt drill bits - found a kit of 6mm - 1.5mm on amazon or something. They actually don't show really any wear after, and I had to use multiple steps.

The first hole the machinist tried and broke a bit so I had a pilot to start and that one cut through fairly easily curling off the metal until the back side and it more or less chipped away at it sending fleck of metal out rather than a nice ribbon.

It took an hour and a half of switching up bit sizes and boring out the smaller holes. I dont want to ever do it again.

Cutting oil, patience, and time are your friend. Once the sprocket started heating up, it seemed to take longer. The 2nd hole took forever compared to the first.

Removed some paint on the rear wheel to match the front. I think I made the right choice over all black.

Chain rivet tool arrives today so should be rideable tonight...

6a3f4975434867f6629e4f7d56411633.jpg

Took 'er around the block and filled up the tank. I'll probably back out the preload on the rear and still have a few finishing touches, but oh man... that is a satisfying feeling.

Doesn't feel fat in the slightest anymore. And... there has been considerable effort in making it not low (like every Virago cafe build) I will have to think of a new name.

It's raining. I have a freshly completed Virago cafe bike. Let's ride! (Said no one ever...)

8d2ec8732391e4294ad169d0450c4c69.jpg

54b9a5fc0736efe93ebe7dd55bfa3666.jpg

It had a bit of a stumble on heavy acceleration last night. New AP63's gapped at 0.028 and eliminated all vacuum lines to the mixture controller.

Still some very slight hesitation, but it's almost all gone.

Also a couple of the other pictures from last night.

d77becbea05d0c03eac0ab9effa8134c.jpg

40f34ae0463489188f73a85d4d7ddf32.jpg

4086774f95b80acd8d54b689f733aade.jpg

This is also one of my favorite garages built by a friend. In a corporate development you take a back alley between a pizza place and an office building, go through the service alley and there is this hidden driveway. Three double doors lead to a full bathroom/shower and kitchen/coffee bar and a back elevator up to the big corner office.

Is that a weathered garage door? Hot damn, I better park my recently completed bike next to it and take a picture immediately.

bc45a5b88508b7a813c2712d5086aaca.jpg

Pics of the bike look great! How did that 17/34 gearing work out? Trying to figure out what gear to run on mine.

JAGspeed said:
Pics of the bike look great! How did that 17/34 gearing work out? Trying to figure out what gear to run on mine.

After mounting everything, I went with 17/36. There isn't quite enough clearance for the 34 in the rear. I already shaved the swingarm enclosed drive mount tabs and the front sprocket housing, and while the chain could fit, any deflection would put it into the case and the swingarm.

17/36 is actually just a hair taller than the factory ratio even with the 17" wheels.

I don't feel that it's spinning all that high at all - if I were commuting on it on the freeway for extended amounts of time, I'd go 18. I might try and see what the clearance is like for an 18/34 if I try and attempt anything like a multi state trip. That could make 75mph highways comfortable I think.

The bike looks sweet, the rims with the metallic edge really complete the package, hope it rides as good as it looks.

LazyOx said:
The bike looks sweet, the rims with the metallic edge really complete the package, hope it rides as good as it looks.

Thanks - it rides fantastic. Torquey, really tight feeling, and surprisingly flickable.

LazyOx said:
Mork, where did you get the Upper Yoke?
I think I need that for my R6 2011 front end so I can get the nose of my TR1 up.

It’s from cognito moto. Wonderfully well machined piece. I went with their 1 1/8” bar clamps as well if you are looking for real bars and not clip ons.

906861437e887ae1a1e0ee3649e80881.jpg

Winter is coming tomorrow and I needed an excuse to keep a nice charge on the battery.

Also, anyone have any particular battery chargers/tenders they like specifically for li-ion?

Been a while since I allowed some interneting time. I’ve actually posted the bike on Craigslist, but I imagine it will take a while to find the right buyer (everyone seems to like black or red bikes around here) I just don’t ride as much as I would like, and I really would enjoy putting some more effort into the BMW (which I can’t sell)

Attachments

• IMG_6617.JPG
    IMG_6617.JPG
    2.6 MB · Views: 317
nice job! love the colors Iincluding the contrast between the seat and tank. I just use a Genius charger cus I have a bunch of different bikes with batteries that need preserving. I like the fact that I just clip it on the terminals and walk away!

Back
Top Bottom