First bike ever!!!! 1978 Honda CB550k, Back on track

Re: First bike ever!!!! 1978 Honda CB550k, NEW TANK update

Yea. Here's the new tank.

e096808f.jpg

bd2a077a.jpg

the inside is spotless and it cost me a bit more as it is in great shape. No dents or scratches on it really. I'll have to remove my lock from the old tank and get it on the new one.

Yea I have to be carefull about the black overload.. I will clean it up real nice and ride it toll the fall. While doing things in the mean time. I'll play around with fiberglass and an old seat pan to make a new cafe seat. We restored a 18" fiberglass boat last summer so I'm quite familar with the process and the amount of sand fill repeat needed.

And big r i wish I was on 4 on 4 off lol.

I have a fair amount of technical skills and my dad as 10x more then me. We have loads of tools and what we don't have, my godfather has a auto garage.

Re: First bike ever!!!! 1978 Honda CB550k,

bike is lloking good but i want to see the 18" boat you restored.!! was it a dog boat or maybe a rat cruise boat???

one tic is foot ' two tics is inches" 18" = my two shoes combined 18' = half of my school bus ;) ;)

i also have a 550 k and it is great whatever you do to it make sure to ride it cause it does that pretty dang well.

Haha wicked. Well the boat wasn't 18 feet. It's actually around 16.
2c2ad0ff.jpg

Underside. Don't have old pics but we got the boat off a friend for a bottle of whiskey. So it def was not usable. Took us a summer to gut it and double bottom the glass. Then last summer finish the inside prime paint and make the trailer.

2b249bdb.jpg

and there's the 21' ( see i learned something) this summer project. Our backyard is reduced significantly

b9f7d377.jpg

Finally weekend time and going shopping :D

Here is the bike I was referring to earlyer. If anyone knows whos bike this is, or could answer questions about it, let me know.
a3e9cb17.jpg

Jacket possibility.
http://cgi.ebay.ca/NEW-MENS-MOTORCYCLE-HARD-ARMOR-LEATHER-JACKET-BLACK-44_W0QQitemZ230475010931QQcmdZViewItemQQptZApparel_Merchandise?hash=item35a9619373

Need suggestions for a safe and cool helmet, I like Leons Simpsons i think. The custom painted.

I like the exhaust now, a tad quiet for my taste. I would love to have a sound like this
BCR Exhaust VDO of "Pinas" CB550 Cafe Racer Project
or
http://www.youtube.com/user/carpy1#p/a/u/1/KegjxxwngoE

Now that I sit and I am fully awake, I see that there is A LOT of work ahead of me and it seems like a daunting task, so apologies if i ask all these noob questions :D

With the exhaust types. Currently its stock 4-4, quiet, tamed sound. The options I've seen and like are the 4-2 and a few 4-1. I don't want it to be TOO loud as to attract police attention from 2 blocks away. But loud enough.

Will be going to the local motorcycle shop and checking out old seats and other parts so I can finally get this show on the road. 3 nights off work in a row!!

Do you know where you are going to get the bike saftied yet? I've used Performance Cycle out between Cambridge and Guelph. http://www.performancecycle.ca/. I quite like them.

For your saftied, maybe I'm answering this too late. Things they will check:
-Tire, no cracks and not worn down
-Chain and sprockets
-Any excessive side to side play in the swingarm.
-Turn signals working
-Forks seals and possibly dust covers good. No oil leaks on the forks
-No pitting on the forks which could lead to leaking
-Depending on the year, two mirrors
-Tach and speedo working
-indicators working. Oil, neutral, brake
-front and back brake switches working. Activating brake light
-Brake pad thickness good. Looking at the wear indicator on the drums
-no fuel leaking from carbs/petcock
-hi/low working on headlight
-kickstand and centre stand equipped.

Finally got some time to work on the bike. Started cleaning the rims
and spokes.. Some of them look to be too rusty and I might have to get a new set from eBay or something. Also making a mock up hump for my seat. Using rectangle pool noodles! Foggin awesome to work with. And cheap! Pictures to come in the morning.

And thanks for the tip jay. I will definitely go over all those areas extra just to be sure :d

Well, back to work.

So I had a few minutes before work for a quick MS paint job. Here is one of the possible paint combos. Red, black, simple, beautiful.
Also a possible 4-2 exhaust, represented by a black bar. Straight exhaust? Most likely will be custom built. I just kinda like the long straight pipe look...

Input? Opinions?

combo1paint.jpg

That bike that you are refering to (red white and blue) is owned by a guy named Jimmy. You can look up his build, called something like interceptor 550, on the soch4 forum under the name "funjimmy." Hes a real nice guy and did a lot of custom work to that honda

Jens

nice work tjjkc on that post, if you look at the time we posted at the exact same time, so I guess you can ignore my post

jens

squirley said:
nice work tjjkc on that post, if you look at the time we posted at the exact same time, so I guess you can ignore my post

jens

Kind of funny on the timing(our posts)considering that he was asking 4-5 days ago

soo the Shocks I bought off a friend last week came in and I love them!

e0d70fec.jpg

I also have to put the build on pause as I am flying to LA next week. With that being said. Any DTTers here live in LA? want to get together for a Beer and a chat?

Cool zocci's, they were THE' shocks to have in the late 70's/early 80's.
pity they wont fit without modifying swing arm (eye/eye, you need eye/clevis for Honda)

Yea I figured that could be an issue but for 50$ I wasn't gonna pass them up.

Imma sucker for red sexy shocks ;)

$50 damn, I sold a set that needed rebuilt a few months ago for $100.

Yes. Damn is what I said. And even if I can't mount them i can sell them. No paint chips and nothing wrong with them. Still have that new part smell :D

Will look at the bike when I'm back in the country and see how much hastle it will be to mount.

SouthPaw said:
Yes. Damn is what I said. And even if I can't mount them i can sell them. No paint chips and nothing wrong with them. Still have that new part smell :D

Will look at the bike when I'm back in the country and see how much hastle it will be to mount.

Let me know if you decide not to use them... I'll see if they would work on mine ;D

Back
Top Bottom