Pocket Rocket - 1978 xs650

teazer said:
But do you disagree? ADC is spot on. I know that's pretty cold comfort right about now, but that tiny tank is just ridiculous IMHO from both a function and form perspectives. But it ain't my bike, so it doesn't much matter does it? :)

Different strokes for different folks I guess. I really dig the tank and look so I guess I just got to go with my gut. My main question I was trying to convey was what to do and if there were any options to touch up powder in the event of a last minute design change.

Actually, my remark goes back to the misstep of sending stuff out for powdercoat before the bike fabrication is finished. I don't think my input on that was fully appreciated. 8)

I didn't offer any input on how that tank looked on the bike, but since it has been brought up again, I think it looks horrible, (but it ain't my bike.) I think a LOT of the bikes on this forum are horror shows. I don't usually say so, as aesthetic decisions are totally subjective. When it comes to technical or safety stuff, I'll be more outspoken. Some might say, "Blunt." Some might say, "Douchebag." Some might say, "Honest."

Some of the "noobs" (I hate that term,) get their knickers in a twist when I suggest they should think through their build a bit rather than willy-nilly diving in with no plan or thinking about the sequence of steps. Haven't they even watched an episode of American Chopper fer fuck sake? They ALWAYS fully mock up the bike and do ALL of the fabrication before they tear it back down and send stuff out for paint, chrome, and powdercoat. That is SOP for building ANYthing. Body work and finishes are just what the name implies...FINISHES. Finishes are done LAST.

ADC, I was addressing two different issues, but my comments may have seemed to conflate them into one.

I was agreeing with your comments about powder and timing.

As for that tank, well it has no practical value on a street bike, so this is not a serious motorcycle build, and I have little interest in art projects.

teazer said:
ADC, I was addressing two different issues, but my comments may have seemed to conflate them into one.

I was agreeing with your comments about powder and timing.

As for that tank, well it has no practical value on a street bike, so this is not a serious motorcycle build, and I have little interest in art projects.

Lol you must be alpha dog's bitch haha

AlphaDogChoppers said:
Actually, my remark goes back to the misstep of sending stuff out for powdercoat before the bike fabrication is finished. I don't think my input on that was fully appreciated. 8)

I didn't offer any input on how that tank looked on the bike, but since it has been brought up again, I think it looks horrible, (but it ain't my bike.) I think a LOT of the bikes on this forum are horror shows. I don't usually say so, as aesthetic decisions are totally subjective. When it comes to technical or safety stuff, I'll be more outspoken. Some might say, "Blunt." Some might say, "Douchebag." Some might say, "Honest."

Some of the "noobs" (I hate that term,) get their knickers in a twist when I suggest they should think through their build a bit rather than willy-nilly diving in with no plan or thinking about the sequence of steps. Haven't they even watched an episode of American Chopper fer fuck sake? They ALWAYS fully mock up the bike and do ALL of the fabrication before they tear it back down and send stuff out for paint, chrome, and powdercoat. That is SOP for building ANYthing. Body work and finishes are just what the name implies...FINISHES. Finishes are done LAST.

;D LOL

Wow lol reach arounds on request. Anyway I like the first tank, I like how it flows with the seat. Cannt wait to see it done

Well Looks like the shop did not powder-coat my frame yet. They just finished the sandblasting process and put my frame aside. I still have time to do a mock up with the new tank. Whew..

That is great news. Personally, I like doing the sandblasting early on, even though you may get a little rust and it may require a light blast again just before coating. It's nice to work with no paint and no dirt.

AlphaDogChoppers said:
He even gets a reacharound on request...

If anybody here adheres to "if a thing's worth doing, it's worth doing right", it's this guy.

jdizon said:
Lol you must be alpha dog's bitch haha

Because ADC said something I agreed with? WTF is up with that comment dude?

I never stopped to check but I suspect my batting average with ADC is around 50%. Sometimes we agree and sometimes we don't.

Teazer I was Teazing you.. Anyways don't get your panties tied up in bunch. cold comfort buddy.Since this build is not serious enough for you GTFO!!

teazer said:
I never stopped to check but I suspect my batting average with ADC is around 50%. Sometimes we agree and sometimes we don't.

So, you estimate that you are wrong half the time? <G>

JD you'd better do something on the bike or this shit will go on for days. :)

AlphaDogChoppers said:
So, you estimate that you are wrong half the time? <G>

Good one ADC. Wrong, but good reply none the less. :) LOL

jdizon said:
Teazer I was Teazing you.. Anyways don't get your panties tied up in bunch. cold comfort buddy.Since this build is not serious enough for you GTFO!!

I have no issues with different types of humor, but I don't have a lot of tolerance for people using the B word. I'm sure that you don't really mean to come off as a complete ass, but sometimes we say things that maybe we shouldn't or maybe we could have said a little more politely and that happens to us all at times.

Let's get back to talking about bikes shall we :)

PhotoCHOP mockup with new tank. Going to pickup frame tomorrow to figure out new mounts. Think I'm going to rubber mount and weld in bung to neck gusset so I can move the tank up close to the neck.

Attachments

• rapido.jpg
    rapido.jpg
    97.1 KB · Views: 1,215
Back
Top Bottom