Stripping anodizing from forged aluminum wheels.

Streetfighterkz

Been Around the Block
So I bought the set of old Hi-Point wheels a few months ago. Seller said they just needed re-polished. Turns out that I think they’re anodized as the spoke pockets are a light gold but the rest of the wheel is silver.

Anyways, I eventually want them refinished. I’ve heard of people using oven-cleaner to strip anodizing but that was on small relatively inexpensive parts. I’ve also read that stripping anodizing can leave a black residue behind and possibly lead to oxidation.

There are a few anodizing shops near me. Maybe I should just give them a ring? Any other suggestions?

Later, Doug

Greased Lightning cleaner will remove it too, and not pit the aluminum. The black layer will wipe away and not hurt a thing. You'll want to soak it in Greased Lightening. You can dilute it.

I've removed anodizing many times. I dip the parts in a water and lye bath and let them soak. The parts will star to fizz then take them out, rinse and wipe them off. You may need to do this a few times till all the ano is gone.

Stripping anodizing from forged aluminum wheels.

What ratio do you guys suggest if I go with lye (or any other product containing lye)?

Thanks.

Later, Doug

Streetfighterkz said:
What ratio do you guys suggest if I go with lye (or any other product containing lye)?

Thanks.

Later, Doug

I'll be honest, I've never measured the amount of lye I use. I shake some in the water, mix it and put the part in. If the results are slow and ineffective I'll just mix in some more. Not sure if you can over due it. Never had a problem.

Back
Top Bottom