Beachcomber's Tales from the day

dewjantim said:
Put me on the list for a first edition signed book !!!!!!

DJT, Brodie and others who already expressed an interest .....................WHEN the book finally gets published [ 18 months ? ] I'll personally sign copies for all my DTT mates.

I'm working on revamping the text as we speak - trouble is it takes twice as long as I have to linger on the memories!

Revamp of Tales coming along nicely.

There will be one more before I go off my my Summer Saxony chill break.

HAven't decided yet which one of THREE ... so there will be more this year !! ;D

After speaking with Dommie Dave at the weekend, the next tale will be

"TJ's built a WHAT ? - unlikely shoestring Cafe Racer"

It will be written up before I go off to Saxony.

Excellent. I cannot wait to hear this one.

Because of your Tales I have been inspired to build a Brit Bike. Quite a few years away yet but research has begun.

Brodie said:
Excellent. I cannot wait to hear this one.

Because of your Tales I have been inspired to build a Brit Bike. Quite a few years away yet but research has begun.

Brodie, glad to have been some small inspiration............

OK, courtesy of my reunion with Dommie Dave a few weeks ago, here's the latest Tale ...

Beachcomber’s Tales from the Day April 2015

“TJ’s built a WHAT? ……..unlikely shoestring Café Racer”
- or ….....”what can you get these days for 2 shots of whiskey and a ruined pair of jeans [ x 2 ] ”

This one’s especially for my mate Lior [ aka Union Jack ]

Don’t run away with the idea that we all had exciting and well built Café Racers – all the time ! Occassionally [ usually during a build ] there became a need to just have some transport to get around.

A traditional Café Racer conversion [ Tribsa for example ] could easilly be accomplished over a weekend with all parts to hand and painting etc. carried out beforehand. Usually we’d get something cheap and cheerful that would form the basis of a future build – a Triumph maybe [ for it’s engine ] an old B31 / 33 BSA or ES2 / Model 50 Norton for the rolling chassis. In the early ‘60’s not many of us had [ wanted ] cars – some had a trusty old van for race / bike transport, but nothing you’d want to be seen in !

So here I was at this very point in time – Phil Bishop [ my wheel builder ] was away on the Continent pursuing his Speedway hobby, and had decided to stay out for 3 consecutive weekend meetings. Yep – I’d dropped my hubs off [ for my Tribsa ] a couple of days before he left. He built wheels for nearly all the Speedway circus and a great many of the circuit racers too and so was exceedingly busy. He didn’t usually do wheel builds for “private” individuals, but I had an introduction via bike shop and race team owner Tom Kirby [ Roneo Corner ]. Normally he would fit a build in the same day – but with all the wheels he needed to take away, there was no chance. That had left me without any 2 wheeled transport to use until he came back and built my wheels.

Enter my Grandfather …………….. he had been responsible for getting me several bikes either exceedingly cheap – or literally for a drink [ a pint or two of beer ! ]. I had told him of my dilema and started checking out all my mates. Must have been a dry old time for cheap old runners as there was nothing suitable around. OK there were odd small 2 strokes [ James, Francis Barnet ……. ] and the usual Panthers and other old sidecar tugs – but nothing that would serve as a future build.

The following afternoon I got a call at the house saying could I collect Grandfather from the pub. Nothing unusual about that as he always called in to have a pint or 6 after work. As I walked in he was in full swing – in fact had already started on the Whiskeys [ did I mention we were Scots ? ] – this was all part of the ploy to get his drinking buddy in the right mood – for what? Well, he had “an old bike” in his shed that had belonged to his Brother in Law, which – by this time in the proceedings was mine for another Whiskey or two! Unfortunately he had no idea what it was, apart from having two exhaust pipes and painted Black. Well that’s a start !

Seems his B-I-L was actually an ex B.I.L, as he’d run off with a bird from work and matey had no issues with getting rid of his bike that had been left in the family shed ! So by closing time [ pubs closed mid-day in those days ] I ended up doing the taxi job for all his drunken mates …. However, that did result in quite a few pennies as “thank you’s” from the lads. When we eventually arrived at the bloke’s house, we were shown to an old dilapidated shed in the back garden that looked like it hadn’t been disturbed for years. About this time I was seriously doubting that there would be anything worthwhile in there ! Another half hour or so of moving planks of wood, and old washing boiler and assorted squitter and I eventually unearthed a pile of old tarpaulins with a distinctly bike shaped lump underneath. By this time I was really expecting the worse……..

However, after the tarp was removed, there were a couple of cotton bedsheets [ ! ] over the bike – so someone had taken care over storing it. Getting quite excited now – and after the removal of the sheets – there it was, a 500cc Matchless G9. Not only was it complete and original, but in really good condition. A quick wipe over of the paint and chrome revealed that it really WAS in good condition.

I quickly threw the sheets back over the bike and went inside to tell matey that “yes, I would take it off his hands”. I didn’t want him to see how good it was, just in case!

I had a mate who lived a mile away and enlisted his help to get the bike out of the shed and round to his place, so I knew it was mine. Why not take it back home to Gran’s ? Well I already had two bikes in the front garden - one already sold and waiting for collection. Not wishing to take the piss too much, I thought it best to get rid of the one that was already sold [ B31 ] and move the Matchless in.

Now this is when the good old “sod’s law” strikes – the day we decided to get the bike from my pal’s my van decided to have a non starting fit – eventually traced to a dodgey coil, but meant that the bike would have to be ridden [?] or pushed home.

Where we lived at the time [ Dagenham ] there was a railway line that effectively divided the town into the “old Dagenham village” [ where Grandfather’s favourite watering hole was situated ] and the newer “London overspill” development. The old village had survived all the new developments – and was stuck in an 18th Century timewarp. This was where the bike was now situated. As the Crow flies [ who watched a Crow flying to come up with that ? ] it was half a mile – in reality by road it meant a 3-4 mile detour to find a suitable road bridge over the railway. There were however several pedestrian bridges in between the two main road bridges – one almost directly leading between my mate’s house and Gran’s. NO brainer, there’s plan B if the bike doesn’t run. And of course – it didn’t !

Now here’s where you need a bit of imagination ………………. There was a farm track [ old 18th Century road ] that ran between the houses and the railway line on the “old Village” side of the tracks, with houses backing right up. When the railway line had been constructed, the farm track was effectively isolated, although officially still a public right of way – ie “citizens had the right to drive a herd of sheep or cattle” along it. The householders, realising the road was in effect no longer used, took the opportunity to do a little “land grabbing”, and extended their gardens all the way across the road to the railway boundary – not all, but a fair number. Some had erected woden fences, chain link fencing, whatever to deliniate their “new” ground. Problem was the only sensible [ ie quick ] way for us to get the bike out of matey’s garden to the bridge access – was along this disused farm track. See where this is going ………………

Let’s stop calling him Matey [ just remembered his name ] – Ronnie, and unfortunately he didn’t own a Rocket [ Rocket Ronnie would be perfect ] – he owned a Ton Ten. Ronnie’s house [ his parents ] was 5 houses along from the bridge – ie 4 gardens, and yes – ALL had fences of some sort or another. There was no way we could get it out the front as his brother had parked a dead Ford Zodiac across the drive.

We checked over all the obvious non starting problem areas [ except one vital point – remember that peeps ], and when it was obvious it would have to be pushed, the decision was taken we’d go the farm track route. The first and second houses were no problem as the immediate neighbour was in and assisted with removing the chain link fence for us to get through, and into the 2nd house. Oh dear – a wooden paling fence. Sharpened wooden posts held together by wire. Ronnie decides to leap over the fence to get to the wire tie offs – but misjudged the height [ 3 ft ? ] and neatly got impaled via his best jeans. Fortunately for him, it was just the jeans. There was then much merriment as myself and the 1st neighbour tried to lift him off. Armed with his wire cutters Ronnie snipped through the wire ties and folded the fence back far enough to get the Matchless through – just one more to go. Fortunately this one had the same pailing fence as the one Ronnie had got stuck on, but this time he decided to do the sensible thing and snip the wire ties from HIS side. That just left one chain link fence, erected by the railway as the pedestrian boundary to the bridge access. The other chain link fences were not much more than Chicken wire, but not only was this far more substantial, it utilised hidden locating points. By this time we were within inches of getting free and would not be defeated. Ronnie’s neighbour came back 5 minutes later with some substantial bolt cutters which made short work of the railway fence. Only this time we could’t reverse engineer our mods – as the anchor points were hidden ………… oh well.

That just left the matter of getting the Matchless up the 30 or so metal steps of the bridge. By this time the neighbour was enjoying our mission and fortunately stayed to help us. No real dramas, except to note how fuckin heavy a stock Matchless G9 was.

OK – going well then? Toooooooo well, something had to happen – and it did. Just as we pushed it over the last step to the top – we bumped into plod coming the other way pushing his bike [ pedal ]. That’s 20 minutes of my life I’ll never get back. “Why are you pushing that bike “ [ cos it won’t fuckin start Sherlock ], “Who is the owner” [ take your pick – 3 of us here ]. “Have you got insurance” [ it’s a pedestrian road mate ] – “ oh fuck me it’s time for tea and sandwiches” [ coffee and doughnuts ] on yer way” .

Across the bridge in double quick time before he asks for the Log Book [ title ] – which of course we didn’t have!

Now then, those of you familiar with the Monty Python series will associate with this.

Having struggled our bollox off getting up the 30 steps – it was decided that I could simply sit on the bike and with 2 helpers holding it back to slow it down – Robert’s yer Pater’s sibling.
That worked extremely well for the first 3 or 4 steps, until Ronnie slipped and let go, his neighbour was unable to hold the bike back on his own and he also let go …………… the Matchless moved very swiftly under the influence of gravity, and it was about this time I realised the brakes weren’t too efficient – ie they were shite. The amazing thing is that I managed to stay aboard, the bleedin’ obvious was that it HAD to end in disater – and it did. The aforementioned chain link fencing [ railway quality ] bordered the pedestrian walkway on both sides of the walkway, and acted like a pretty effective cheese grater whilst the unfortunate Beachcomber slid along it until finally coming to rest and gently tipping over. Yet another pair of wrecked jeans + miscellaneous scrapes and cuts ! Fortunately the G9 was barely marked, and at this time I really had no idea what to do with it after it served as a runaround for a week or two, but better if it looked as good as it did when I released it from it’s slumber in the shed.

So back to Gran’s and time to get the bugger running. Plenty of compression but a really weak spark from Joe Lucas’ finest [ magneto]. We removed the points and cam gear along with the 2 bakelite pick ups to check that over – clean the pick up ring – pull the springs a tad [ holding the brushes ] to give better contact [ remember that one Hoof ! ] and generally clean everything up. All back together and a really healthy spark. A set of newly cleaned plugs and that was the electrical side sorted. Off with the Amal carb fuel bowl cover – and yes it was full of decayed fuel and god knows what debris. Float checked [ not punctured ] and turn the fuel tap on to flush whatever debris was left out of the sysytem – except nothing came out. Yep – checked everything a few days before, except the presence of - fuel ……….cunt.

Fuel in, reassemble everything and – 5th or 6th kick, she’s away ! This one was fitted with OEM short oval cone meggas [ fully silenced ] and sounded fantastic. To our amazement everything worked.

So runaround for a week or two sorted ? Of course not – this is Beachcomber we’re talking about here. So having thanked Ronnie and his neighbour for their help [ short walk home boys ? ], I decided to call and see my mate Pete [ CSR ] who was well into things Matchless / AJS. And yes he did happen to have the spare set of swept back pipes that he’d tried on his CSR – but didn’t like [ back to the upswept Siamese ]. Back home just in time for Dommie Dave and Brian Rocket to turn up for a ride – not realising the Tribsa was not ready. So they decided to abandon a ride out and help convert the Matchbox to a Café Racer.

Within 2 hours we had the swepbacks installed – along with the OEM oval meggas [ looked and SOUNDED the bollox ], one of my AJS 7R seat and Goldie 5 gallon tank finished “the look”. Clip ons were straight forward, but the headlamp brackets took a little longer. Rear set assemblies courtesy of Pete – and we’re ready for some record racing [ only kidding ]. We had the makings of a pretty sweet looking Café Racer - albeit about 80mph flat out !!

Back again to Pete’s [ 3rd time ] to see if he had any alloy rims [ getting into the Matchbox now ] – no he hadn’t, but Phil Bishop was due back soon and could have the rims swapped out in a day.

So there we were [ ‘ish ], from a freebie bike [ OK 2 shots of Whiskey and a ride home ], a little imagination getting it home and 2 days later – a passable Café Racer was born.

The bike got some good reviews from the boys and even better from some of the newcomers. Two weeks later, Phil was back and the Tribsa wheels built.The Matchbox got some good secondhand rims Phil had lying about, finally built. Normal Girlings replacing the Jampot rear shox [ fuggly bastards ] to finish the “look”. It was a blast to ride and sounded absolutely superb on the OEM Matchless meggas.

Actually, the bike put back the building of the Tribsa a week or two as I was having such a good time riding it.

Talk up the Owl went from “TJ’s built a WHAT?” to “How much you want for that” in a matter of a few weeks. A coat of Black paint later and some ace pinstriping by one of the boys [ namefade ] a pair of Matchless tank transfers and it really did look the bollox - a Matchless G45 if you closed one eye and squinted with the other ] still 80mph – but had all the right looks.

Happy ending ? A week or two after the Tribsa was finished, one of the young newcomers up the lay-bye decided he just had to have it the Matchbox. He had an Ariel Arrow and couldn’t stand the piss taking any longer. I could have bought a BARREL of Whiskey for what he paid me for it – I still remember that Matchbox with fondness.

Thanx to Dommie Dave for reminding me about this little saga when we had our reunion a few weeks ago.

He also reminded me of a couple of other incidents ………………………..

As "bought" - just like this

The inspiration ......

The reality - along these lines - note the sweptbacks

The OEM G9 meggas

Just read through the last Tale to pick up any spelling / fat finger issues, and I realised a little clarification might be needed for my North American cousins.

My Grandfather worked "in the press" - this was in the days when the pages were type set in the ancient tradition [ no computers here ! ].

The press was situated around Fleet Street in London and traditionally worked through the night to get the papers printed and distributed in the early hours. Grandfather worked at the Daily Mirror - and in those days the unions held everybody by the bollox and insisted on THREE men for every one job. One working, one a relief - and the third just there in case anything happened to the other 2 !

The "Third Man" [ as they were known ] was usually the eldest / nearest retirement and most nights would be off on their way home by 2 o'clock. Fleet Street had special licensing laws and the pubs were open through the night and closed during the day.

Normal pub hours were mid-morning until mid-day - then closed until the evening openings around 6.00 - 10.30pm.

So Grandfather would normally have a pint or two after work and return home for a few hours sleep - before going off to the Railway Arms or the Cross Keys in the Old Dagenham village.

Just to explain why the pub closed at mid-day !!!!

SO THE LAST ONE BEFORE MY SUMMER CHILL BREAK TO SAXONY COMING UP IN THE NEXT 2-3 WEEKS.

"Taking the Crown - Laybye racing - the REAL Ton Up Club"

Great story, as always BC. Yes I remember stretching springs. There's one on the sidecar right now (gearshift return). I'm still trying to wrap my head around humping a lump up the steps of the railroad ped. crossing. If they are the same as the ones in Ireland I tip my hat to you. One job I had in Ireland I used the train as the job was 50 yards from the station. The home trip meant I had to use one of those pedestrian bridges. I hated it so much I would hop off the platform and run across the tracks and climb up the other platform. Usually greeted by a bollicking from the station master. but it beat climbing those stairs. I still can't imagine climbing them with a bike.

Hoofhearted said:
Great story, as always BC. Yes I remember stretching springs. There's one on the sidecar right now (gearshift return). I'm still trying to wrap my head around humping a lump up the steps of the railroad ped. crossing. If they are the same as the ones in Ireland I tip my hat to you. One job I had in Ireland I used the train as the job was 50 yards from the station. The home trip meant I had to use one of those pedestrian bridges. I hated it so much I would hop off the platform and run across the tracks and climb up the other platform. Usually greeted by a bollicking from the station master. but it beat climbing those stairs. I still can't imagine climbing them with a bike.

Hoof,

I imagine those bridges were generic accross the railway system.

Known as "iron bridges" [ clue's in the name ! ] they were originally "temporary" bridges.

They had very minimal amounts of steel - the risers were open, which for someone a little "vertigo affected" like myself, was always a challenge when I was a nipper. They were always fun for pedestrians when it rained ! I remember several reports of peeps who had slipped going up the steps and got their leg trapped / broken as they went through the open riser.

I just Googled "Iron Railway Footbridges / Dagenham and came up with these images [ sorry abput the quality.

The first is similar to the style, but this one at Dagenham Dock Station - the pedestrian rail crossing had a right angle set to bring the lower steps in line with the approach lane. However the structure is very similar. The concrete stairs coming down to the platforms were a much later modification - probably back to that health and safety aspect.

The second pix is a bit poor, but could well be the actual bridge [! ] however all the anti throw yerself off structure over the top was not present in my day - and yes at least 2 peeps DID throw themselves off. Note the right angle step down to the last flight of steps ......... that's where our fun began !!!

That's like I remember except the bridges in Ireland were open lattice at the top. I saw a few people slip and fall on the wet iron. Very easy to do. Makes your effort all the more amazing (or desperate).

So, while I was Googling "Iron rail bridges in Dagenham" - I thought I'd put in my Gran's old address in Reede Road where I spent my formative years [ and where I was born ! ] And hey presto !!! ;D It's the house [ white ] on the right of the attached pic.

And what do you know ......... It all began in that bedroom on the 1st. March 1944 !!!! ;)

4 of the houses opposite disappeared in one 1000lbs bomb blast - THE DAY I WAS BORN. Lucky or what. Some months later a flying bomb [ Doodlebug ] demolished another 6 houses just 4 up from us - I think that Bastard Hitler was trying to get me ::)

So, you can just make out the 3 ft picket fence and small wooden gate.

Back in the day there was a 3 ft. strip of concrete under the window and the rest of the "garden" still given over to vegetable growing - a legacy of wartime.

That strip of concrete was where most of the bikes were built - or on the pavement [ sidewalk ].

Everything else had to be taken in through the front door and stored in the back garden.

Pass me those Rose tinted goggles .................................. 8)

OK, so here I am all alone [ apart from my Dobe ] ......MrsB off cruising around the Med with my eldest Daughter Siovhan.

A few large Brandys [ as you do ] and I decided to finish off ['ish ] the Lay-Bye tale.

Not sure if it was the Brandys, or the very sad ending to the Tale that got me into a bit of a circumspect mood.......................

The Tale REALLY came to life in my memory banks as I was tapping the keys .... very, very soon - just looking for some suitable pix to accompany the Tale.

So here's the Tale ..........dedicated to the memory Of Vincent R.I.P.

Beachcomber’s Tales from the Day

"Taking the Crown - Laybye racing - the REAL Ton Up Club" – May 2015
[ RIP Vincent ]

So here’s how the REAL racing took place – and not a Juke Box in sight !

We’re back to the early 60’s here, 1962/3. The lay-bye [ see previous tales ] on the A12 bye-pass route around North Romford was renowned as THE place to take your bike to prove your bragging rights, and of course - that elusive Ton.

There were the regular crew, who were the unofficial guardian’s of the Ton Up “Club” [ itself, unofficial]. Like most cliques, there were the inevitable “elders” who set the rules and officiated any disputes. Just to be clear, there was no “club” involved in these activities – just a like minded bunch of individuals who liked to gather to enjoy their hobby.

By this time I had established myself as one of the “elders”, along with most of my already mentioned pals – Dommie Dave, Rocket George, Bonneville Bob, “Gordon” Goldie………………

The requirements to be officially recognized as a Ton-Up member were to approach one of the elders [ together with your bike ] and request to be timed along 2 full length passes of the “track” – that being from the Moby Dick to Gosnay’s roundabouts. The inductee would then be given a night to turn up and go for it.

One of the elders would then volunteer to accompany the new guy, following him at 100 mph [+] along at least 2 of the passes – actually there was in addition the length from the lay-bye to the roundabout – see sketch ]. The reason for the 2 full passes was simple – that was what was required to take the “King of the Lay-Bye” crown, and also allowed for a fair crack of the whip as the road was sloped down hill [ slightly ] from the Moby Dick to Gosnay’s. This negated any potential advantage running in one direction. The runs always started on the lay-bye that had the up hill run to the Moby Dick, as it was the shortest and gave the rider the full length of the road to back down to Gosnay’s for the down hill crack, it also meant he had to break the ton on the reverse ride up the slope from Gosnay’s to the Moby Dick. In the event of any traffic interference – the guy would get another run.

So that was how it happened and soon sorted the boys from the men – I say that with complete Political Correctness [ as if I could give a shit ] – given a total lack of female Ton Uppers.

A lot of the time, the runs would come about as a result of someone shooting his mouth off about his 125 mph 250 AJS or whatever. Sometimes, to shoot down the more blatant claims – an “invite” would be sent out from one of us to try out for the Ton. After the inevitable dismal failure – most were never seen again, or if they were, they became a little more modest in their claims. The more intense failed riders would often then build a suitable bike [ or buy one ] that had the 100mph+ potential.

There was also a little known offshoot of the Ton Up club – the “Two Up Ton Up” …………which as the name suggests, involved carrying a pillion passenger whilst doing the Ton ! Only the passenger involved [ usually a bird ] had the bragging rights to be known as a TUTU [ that acronym’s a bit unfortunate ] member, and indeed they were known as “ballerinas” for that very reason.

It was never really that popular as most of us had single race seats anyway ! But never the less, WAS part of the early 60’s scene – I bet you won’t hear that one on “Café Racer” !

So what happened AFTER you became a member ? There always has to be a top dog in any organization whether official or not – someone will always rise to the top of the pile.

And so it was with the Lay-bye Ton Up club. Once you were accepted into the 100 mph gang, you then had an opportunity to shoot out for the top honour of the fastest bike – The “King of the Lay-Bye”.

Rather a long introduction, even by my standards !! But at least it sets the scene for the title of this Tale.

I had gradually risen to the elder status via a series of pretty rapid homebuilt, Tribsas, Tritons, and the odd Norton [ Inter ] or two. That is to say a regular Ton Up club member.

Status wasn’t transferrable from the rider’s “club” bike to another bike – that one also had to prove it was capable, usually a foregone conclusion. Neither was the status sold with the bike when it changed hands – the new owner still had to achieve the Ton under the club requirements.

My first tilt at the Crown was with my ex. race Manx Norton with the Bobby Dodger lights – this is the bike featured in the very first Tale. It was a pretty average off the shelf Manx, in reasonable condition and state of tune – albeit to standard factory specs. I’d been a “lurker” up the Lay-Bye and started to get in with the local crowd and was beginning to be accepted as “one of the boys” and the Manx was well known as being fast on the top end – but would be well out accelerated by a good Bonnie or Rocket up to around 60mph -70mph, when the Manx’ race pedigree started to tell. Everyone knew the Manx was well capable of the Ton, but I’d never officially joined the Ton Up club. Not long after the first Tale [ 1962 ], my riding mates were all egging me on to have a go at the Ton Up. The guy that was my mentor for the run owned a pretty well sorted Goldie [ 500 ] and was in fact used for short circuit racing as well as doubling up as his road ride. What I didn’t know at the time that this was in fact “Gordon Goldie” [ in fact Gerry - but that didn't work well ! ] ] and HE had just taken the crown from a Bonnie. So the Ton Up test was arranged for a Thursday night, after we’d done the rounds of the Caffs for the evening.

Small explanation of procedure – when shooting for membership the run always began from the short uphill drag to the Moby Dick roundabout, involving a full downhill pass, and a full return on the uphill side – finishing in the Lay-Bye opposite. There was also a long [ left hand going downhill ] curve, that a 100 mph+ began to sort out the handling. And so it was on this particular evening with me pulling out with Gordon following. The Manx really came into it’s own given the slight downhill run after the roundabout, and in any event – was the equal of the Goldie in acceleration [ relative lack of ]. Not only did the Manx well and truly blitz the Ton mark [ 120mph ], but was pulling away from the following Goldie, much to Gordon’s displeasure ! Gordon claimed that he was just sitting at just over the Ton to check my progress ……… right.

Pretty pleased with the Manx’ performance and spurred on by Gordon’s whingeing and the lads pushing me – I issued a challenge there and then for the Crown ! Gordon cried off for that night, stating that he had not prepped his bike for a Crown challenge. OK – another night then ? So the dual was set for the following night.

Now here’s where the second set of procedures came into play – when issuing a challenge for the Crown – the challenger had the choice of Lay-Bye to start from. In this instance, the Manx stood a better chance starting off from the downhill Lay-Bye to take best advantage for the lack of initial acceleration, and the long swinging left hand bend where the Manx handling and brakes would start to tell. The same could be said for the Goldie, as they were notorious for getting off the line. Gordon was well aware of the shortcomings of the Goldie on acceleration – and opted to change his final gear ratio [ gearbox sprocket ] to increase his acceleration – as he thought, on the UPHILL stretch. Great – this played right into the strengths of the Manx, as Gordon was unaware until the night that I had opted for the downhill start – although Gordon would have the initial advantage [ ‘ish ] with his shorter gearing – I would be able to use the Manx’ superior top end grunt on the downhill leg being able to brake later - and then the crucial uphill stretch and into the short home straight after the Moby Dick roundabout. And that was about how it happened, with the Manx pulling 5-6 bike lengths as we passed the finish line.

It was shortly after this event we all decided that a nice plaque should be awarded to Ton Up club members to commemorate their achievement. Maurice [ of the Cemetery Tale fame ] was the obvious choice as he had access to the tool shop at Ford’s main Dagenham plant. Ford had a small oval plaque blank that they use for something or other, and Maurice managed to get his hands on a box-full [ around 100 ] and proceeded to get them engraved “Ton Up Club”.

It soon became obvious that a big single was not the tool for the job as they were initially outclassed on acceleration by the big twins – that would then hold that initial advantage to the end. So, I decided it was time for a change – and as I’d been into Tribsas for some time, I decided that was the way to go. My engine of choice was the 500 Grand Prix backed up with a BSA RRT2 gearbox. This was in fact the bike I’d developed for circuit racing, and what it gave away in capacity [ 150cc ] to the big twins, more than made up for in lightness and better braking – generally more nimble.

So this was the successor to the Manx and defended my Crown against all comers for 3 months - seeing off challenges from Bonnies, Rockets, CSRs and the odd Goldie.

Until Rocket George emerged with his Rocket Gold Star. This was a complete surprise, as he’d kept it to himself while continuing to ride his regular [ still quick ] Super Rocket And so it was we were all up a Ted’s one night and in pulled George with his new ride. At this time very few of us had even seen a real Rocket GS. It was a cracking tool, and it wasn’t long before the subject of “how quick” etc. came up – followed equally quickly by George issuing me a challenge for the Crown.

George chose the traditional uphill start as he knew his RGS would have the advantage on the final uphill drag – and it did !! Boy was that bike quick with gobs of torque. The 500 Tribsa was well and truly beaten – by around 8 bike lengths I recall [ damn ]. George was a gracious winner saying that “after all, his bike had 150cc more than the Tribsa”.

George kept the Crown for the remainder of 1962 – again defending against all comers – including a vicious Norvin [ more of this one later ! ] I even had one more go – and again failed – albeit by a smaller margin [ Tribsa now fitted with Amal TT carbs ].

Was I at all bothered by this ? You bet yer ass !!!! So in true stealth style – I bought the first of my ex. Bob Mac Connies. I had by this time got a “cooking” Connie as my everyday ride as the Tribsa had become impractical for road use. I was immediately impressed by the grunt of the thing, it would pull like a train up to 70mph - 80mph – and then keep going ! OK, it didn’t handle nearly as well as the Tribsa and was bloody heavy – but that was just another set of challenges to sort out. It easily burst into the Ton Up club with a blast of 112 mph – bog standard. Not a bad starting point. It was soon put on a serious diet – 5 gallon Goldie tank [ alloy ], GRP AJS 7R seat, siamese pipes with Goldie silencer and binning heavyweight mudguards and associated squitter. I’d just started collecting engine tuning parts – pistons, cams etc., and started work on a spare engine. Now then – brain fade assist. Does anyone remember a US cam maker with the name “Ravesi” or something similar. Their logo was a Roman chariot pulled by 2 horses. They were unusual for the day being a Polydyne grind ?????????? While all this was going on – I had Phil Bishop build me a pair of Borrani rims onto the hubs, which in turn were lightened as far as practical by the judicious drilling of various holes.

This was about as far as I’d got when the first of the ex. Bob Mac bikes came up courtesy of my pal Ted Bloomfield [RIP]. The bike was as it last raced [ Thruxton ] and still had it’s scrutineering [ tech ] tags. That bike was effing quick …….. a genuine 128 mph [ timed at Thruxton ] with blinding acceleration to match. It was the obvious candidate to challenge George. The bike was a real sleeper as it didn’t look any different to a normal road going Connie.

Rumours were around that I was building a demon set of parts for my own Connie, but nobody knew about the Bob Mac bike ! So, when I threw down the challenge for George – he expected me to turn up on my roadgoing Connie that was in the process of being built as I rode – still with the stock motor.

Due to the Production Racing regs – there was not a great deal manufacturers or entrants could do beyond the standard showroom spec., so the Connie looked pretty well standard !! [ see pix from the day ]. I resisted the urge to fit the Alloy tank and seat I had stashed for my own Connie build and turned up on the night with a Connie that to all intents and purposes was a stocker ! George realized something was up on the first short leg up to the Moby Dick – the Connie was already 3-4 bike lengths ahead – that reduced somewhat due to the Rocket’s better handling on the roundabout – but I still held a 2 bike lead after we came out and onto the downhill stretch. That lead simply increased with every yard until I had pulled an 8 bike lead at the Gosnay’s roundabout. That was about where we’d finish up, with George well and truly beaten with no excuses. This time it was my turn to be gracious and admit that my extra 50cc advantage [ 650 vs 700 ] had obviously made the difference !!

Again the Connie resisted all comers for the next 3 months or so …… until THAT Norvin made a reappearance …………….

The Norvin made sporadic appearances at the Lay-Bye, but we never saw him at any of the Caffs we frequented. In fact he was a bit of a loner and unlike most of the lads, was difficult to strike up a conversation with. Eventually the ice was broken and it transpired that he had just gone through a messy divorce [ aged 23 ! ] and didn’t really feel like socializing. The bike was obviously bloody quick, and the ton-up club was a mere formality when he eventually decided to have a go. As he became more of a regular with us and the caffs, ultimately the talk got round to him going for the Crown. He really didn’t seem bothered, and I certainly wasn’t going to encourage him as it was one of the few bikes that would get anywhere near the Connie!

I carried on working on my own Connie project and even devised a method of strengthening the swing arm pivot area of the frame to stiffen it up. That dramatically improved the handling – and was such an obvious mod, you had to wonder whey the factory hadn’t done it ! I was convinced my own effort would eventually be quicker than the Bob Mac bike …………………… however, before I could get it finished – Vincent [ that WAS his name ! ] issued the challenge for the crown. This time we started from the normal uphill run, and by the time we got down to Gosnays we were pretty much even, but as we went round the big roundabout, the Norton chassis and brakes showed their pedigree and he pulled out 3 bike lengths by the time we got to the uphill drag. The Connie pulled him back to a mere bike length by the Moby Dick roundabout – but again, the Norton’s superior chassis [ and brakes ] gave him the edge and he again opened out a 3 bike lead which he held to the finish. Certainly not embarrassed, but I was determined to get the crown back !

So, work went on double-time on “my” Connie with the engine alone taking 2 week’s to prepare – every item was blueprinted and polished – the con-rods had a brighter shine than most people had on the outside of their engines! The bike was nearly finished, although I resisted the urge to rush anything. The Alloy Goldie tank ended up being highly polished, with the rest of the “tins” being painted in the traditional Constellation Burgundy – Looked the bollox. With my stiffened frame, I decided to fit race tyres, and a trip to my pal Tom Kirby bagged me a set of hardly run in Avon GP’s [ ex. Bill Ivy no less ! ]

By this time most of my pals knew about the Connie project, and weren’t at all surprised when I sold the ex. Bob Mac bike to one of the lads up the Lay-Bye.

Before all this took place I approached Vincent and told him I would be calling him out in a few weeks time with my “new” bike.

Vincent – still a bit of a loner – did accompany us on our weekly rides down to Southend and it was on one of these outings that Vincent had the run in with the Daimler Dart [ see “Crispy Daimler Dart” Tale ].

Then – he just disappeared from the scene for a couple of weeks – in fact disappeared full stop. None of us knew him that well, but one of the lads had been to his Mother’s house where he had gone back to live after his divorce. Of course there was much piss taking that he was shitting himself at the thought of my upcoming challenge ! Eventually one of the lads said he was going in that general direction at the weekend and would call in to see him.

Well he soon wished he hadn’t – turned out Vincent had crashed his bike on a dead straight road into a bridge at around 100mph. It was never proved, but he was seriously depressed after his divorce and his Mother was convinced he’d crashed deliberately.

After that, the Lay-Bye Crown didn’t seem so important any more and as we couldn’t work out how to start over – we canned it [ end 1963 ].

RIP - Vincent mate.

Norvin - I've selected pictures which are as close to the owner's bikes as possible

Rocket Gold Star - just like George's !

Typical Tribsa - mine had no rear mudguard and a 7R seat - and the Grand Prix engine.

My actual Connie with Bob Mac aboard [ Thruxton ? ]

A whale of a tale! ;D

Thanks for sharing the high-speed pass down (and back) memory lane B.C. 8)

Bloody good story mate. Was just the one I was waiting for!

That Tribsa is my wallpaper at the moment. Bit of a nice bike there.

Another sad footnote .......Dommie Dave just contacted me to say that George [ RGS of the Tales ] passed away last month after a long fight with Cancer ......... knowing George, I bet he gave it a hell of a run for it's money. RIP George, I'll always remember you blasting away from me up the Bye-Pass. :'(

Fuck me - not many of us left now !!!!!! 8)

Back
Top Bottom