Yet another SR250 Tracker UK Build

Wow that all looks stunning. Very pleased to have found this thread. Fastline parts is about 15 mins from my house.

I think I'll be making some use of their services in the future.

20 minutes from mine as well spudscustoms, I'm near Chorley, where are you?

When you go, ask to see Graham, Mr enthusiastic is the best way to describe him. :)

They do blasting, and various plating as well as powder coating, a great Custom bike one stop shop.

Ok. seriousy. I have to get this setup or find someone locally that will do it. This looks amazing.

Wow those wheels came out absolutely stunning, you mind me asking how much it cost to get them done.

Your just down the road from me, I'm in Adlington, between Chorley and Horwich.

I'm finally putting the finishing touches to my dream garage, it's been a good while coming, and I'm looking forward to no more working outside or stealing one week night a week or the occasional weekend working on my project bike at a mates unit.

Very nice results! Did you apply some clear spray on the wheels to preclude future rust (especially on the inner surface and spokes)? Does anyone in the USA know if this service is widely available?

About £100 for the wheels spudscustoms, final figure may be slightly more but only a few quid more. I'm in Coppull by the way.

Graham at fast line did apply some clear lacquer to stop future rusting. It won't last forever, but it will last until I get them stripped down over winter and get the hubs and rims painted black and rebuild the wheels with new stainless spokes.

Well a weekend cleaning the engine and it's starting to look good, The paint on the crankcases has come off in places and I would like to get the clutch lever arm re-plated, but I'm unsure how to get it out.

I disassembled the starter motor as the alloy ends and steel body, could do with a spruce up. I'll get the ends aqua blasted and re-spray the steel part. I'll also get Graham at Fastline to re-plate the long bolts that hold the starter together.

I know it won't be immaculate but you could spend ages (and a lot of money chasing the last bits of cleaning and trying to make it concourse), I just want it looking good and use it for every day riding.

I'm getting a bit impatient and want to start getting it built. :mad:

20150322_170111 by eastham_david, on Flickr

20150322_170123 by eastham_david, on Flickr

20150322_170129 by eastham_david, on Flickr

20150322_170139 by eastham_david, on Flickr

You might notice the red mark on the engine number plate, that was blood after I got my little finger trapped between the starter gear and the clutch basket. :-[ ::) :'(

and the starter casings, plus a couple of brackets which I'll get re-plated

20150322_170202 by eastham_david, on Flickr

Looking good dude

shame about those scabby area's on the crank cases, I've got some wheel silver paint that might be a fairly close match, if you want to try it for colour match then just shout up, wouldn't of thought it would be too difficult to give the scabby area's a quick sand n skotch then a quick waft from the spray can if its a match. The area's to paint aren't really that visible so it wont matter too much if its not a direct match.

its going to look proper mint tho by the time you've had all this blasting and plating done.

Good shout on the paint, bit, I'll have a go, if I nee some of that paint I'll be in touch, thanks for the offer.
Just picked the wheels and forks up from Graham

its going to look proper mint tho by the time you've had all this blasting and plating done

I think it will be quite away from that, maybe a bit of 'Patina' may not go a miss 8)

here are some close up's

Still a bit of residual rust, but I'll spray over these just to stop it getting worse.

20150323_172208 by eastham_david, on Flickr

20150323_172034 by eastham_david, on Flickr

20150323_172202 by eastham_david, on Flickr

20150323_172247 by eastham_david, on Flickr

20150323_172147 by eastham_david, on Flickr

20150323_172107 by eastham_david, on Flickr

Like I said it's not perfect, but it's a lot better than it was.

I've just got to get this front brake cable outer welded and re-threaded. :(

20150323_172233 by eastham_david, on Flickr

As for the forks, I could not get the top cap's off, so I left them with Fastline, it needed heat and liquid nitrogen to get them to release!!!!!

So time to follow cosworths instructions and drop the forks internally

Maybe try 35mm spacer and drop them a bit in the triples.

I say this to only add caution that the fender not hit the headlight under compression if you have a lowered headlight (which you should). Ditching the headlights bracket and adding some $10 fork mounts for the headlights is the way to go.

So by going 35mm on the spacers then adjust in the triples you came get the 50mm you want but go back to 35mm without fork disassembly.

I'll do that cosworth. I'll get 2 x 35mm and 2 x 50mm ones done. I'll try the 35 ones first.

I may end up dropping the forks through the top tree as I may want to add some clip ins above the top tree. The only problem I can see is that I may have to remove some material from the top tree to fit the clip ins.

Wheels all built, with all the fittings re-plated.

Tyres fitted, but I'm not sure if the back is a little too big or the front needs to be bigger, I know it I will get a better idea when the forks are built and I can assemble the frame with the wheels in place, but I wonder if I made the wrong choice size wise. :-[

130/90 x 16 rear and 100/90 x 18 front (Maxxis Hi max)

20150410_124320 by eastham_david, on Flickr

20150410_124342 by eastham_david, on Flickr

and I think I have found the colour it will eventually be, Tech House Grey.

It's a Fiat colour

DSC05614.JPG

I have that tire size. MS90 on the rear of a 250 looks like a superbike tire. I just wish there were Michelin Pilot Power race in that size lol.

same an old 130/90-16 just came off mine. it rode fine. I replaced with a 120/90-16 only cause the tire I wanted did not come in that size. I went with a Bridgestone trailwing.
Funny thing is the 120/90 I put on there is actually a little bigger than the 130/90. Each manufacturer can have variances in how they measure and how each tire expands.

got it rolling, well of sorts.

Forks rebuilt using 15wt oil, 2" spacers and 1" off the spring. Seem a little firm but lets see how it rides before any more fiddling.

still wondering what Bars to use :-\

Piccie shows Renthal ultra low riders, but I have managed to get the bosses machined off another top yolk, so clip-ons may be possible, but I think it may need some rearsets to complete that look. Rear is set to 300mm E2E. The shocks that came off were 320 E2E.

Existing rear mudguard seems to fit perfectly is moved forward as well which is a bonus :)

Untitled by eastham_david, on Flickr

I have asked a local engineer for costs to produce some aluminium mudguards similar to the ones on this triumph, so we will see what he comes back with. I think they are more 'scrambler/tracker' than the standard rear guard.

Oh and that Triumph colour I think looks superb

Triumph-Bonneville-Scrambler-900-by-Auto-Fabrica-3.jpg

Back
Top Bottom