Honda VFR750F cafe racer - slow burner...

twade76

Bought this the other day, its a bit of a wrecker but I already love it!

Just about runs at the moment, although its running very rich and will barely tick-over so it's ripe for a re-build.

It'll be my commuter for the next few weeks until I get my new bike, then it'll go into the shed and the strip down will start.

Interesting project! What're your plans for it? I have an 04 VFR800, but I don't plan to café it. Curious to see what you end up doing with the 750 though.

I need to sit down and have a proper think over the direction I want to go with it, but I was thinking about something along these lines:

dsc_7238.jpg

Not sure I'll be able to strip as much bulk from the machine as this, but it's definitely the way I want to go.

Finally had a bit of time to start on the bike, just the strip down at the moment but it's giving me a better idea of what is underneath all of the plastic:

There's a lot more stuff under there than on the old CG125 I had, I thinking that I'll need to revise my plans on how much I can strip back.

Yer, that pic was more about showing the seat and swing-arm arrangement and poorly explained by me.

The aim is something a bit more like this:

maxresdefault.jpg

Some vfr frames are nicer than others, your one with the "wings" on the subframe is one of the least desirable I have to say.

Sent from my HUAWEI Y530-U00 using Tapatalk

I don't mind the wings too much, the bottom mount for the rear sub frame attaches to the end of it so I'll try and integrate it into the design.

Saw this one that I liked, not really a café racer but I like the style:

9hdLX37.jpg

So, I've been thinking about how to do the rear sub-frame. I'll need to get something fabricated as I don't have access to the proper tools to do it myself.

The first step is to get a good idea of how I want it to look. my first thought was something along these lines:

but I also looked at straightening the seat out:

a bit worried about tire clearance with the flat seat though.

Not sure whether to go for minimal structure for the frame, or add some extra to the back to beef it up a bit.

Attachments

• VFR1.png
    VFR1.png
    63.9 KB · Views: 623
Ambitious! I like it. As long as you create something that YOU like, that's all that matters. Oh and have fun doing it.

Thanks,

Sometimes I worry that I've bitten off more than I can chew as my last build was a straight forward re-style of a cg125, but I've got my trusty Haynes manual so nothing can stop me!

twade76 said:
Thanks,

Sometimes I worry that I've bitten off more than I can chew as my last build was a straight forward re-style of a cg125, but I've got my trusty Haynes manual so nothing can stop me!

Have at it man!

twade76 said:
So, I've been thinking about how to do the rear sub-frame. I'll need to get something fabricated as I don't have access to the proper tools to do it myself.

The first step is to get a good idea of how I want it to look. my first thought was something along these lines:

but I also looked at straightening the seat out:

a bit worried about tire clearance with the flat seat though.

Not sure whether to go for minimal structure for the frame, or add some extra to the back to beef it up a bit.
The bottom one doesn't work for me, the lines of the frame and tank lend themselves to a kickup on the subframe

Sent from my Hudl 2 using Tapatalk

You need to follow the lines of the bike- more like your first one.

You also need to increase the "volume" of the rear hump from the side view to match the mass of the tank and engine. The rear hump, can be made skinny, instead of just a large lump.

3bfc245363ec2d37b9374faf644434ab.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ok, so like a lot of guys have already said its a tough one cos of frame etc but there's nothing that cant be done just make sure its your twist on it did see somewhere on forum a guy had same issue especially with tank n seat / frame lines , he used the paintwork /scheme to hide the awkward lines with a bit of fabricating work push ahead mate ime in ;)

Back
Top Bottom