'75 CB550K1 Gulf - Round...3, the fun stuff

Re: '75 CB550K Gulf - electronics people chime in please

Stole a few more minutes......
to+drill+or+not+to+drill.jpg

Leave, drill or cut it out and back with mesh?

crazypj said:
I know the 'computer' is 5V don't know if the feed to damper is?
Interesting possibility, it could be variable with lower voltage?
If I still had access, knowing the feed wires would give a good indication of input voltage (if I was still working I could just measure voltage even easier)
That's a handy timer circuit, I haven't had much luck with MOSFET's though ;D

PJ/Ringo,
Does the GSXR manual specify voltages or resistance or anything else useful ? For example does it mention a speed at which the damper activates or does it specify any other data that might give some insight?

I can't really answer your question, teazer, but I can tell you that the damper activated just before I reached the max voltage position on the switch, every time. I can hook it up to a multimeter if you'd like to know the exact voltage that activates it.

dude... wtf kinda of awesomeoness is going on with thie oil pump cover?

If it is a solenoid, varying the voltage won't change the application force.

The pulse generator idea will effectively modulate it so you have a reasonable range of dampening, however.

With a hall effect speedo you could set up something decent without too much effort, I expect...

sxecafe said:
dude... wtf kinda of awesomeoness is going on with thie oil pump cover?

Swagger's doing a little weight loss/prettying-up of a few pieces.

Bozz said:
With a hall effect speedo you could set up something decent without too much effort, I expect...

That's an interesting idea.

Swagger said:
Stole a few more minutes......
to+drill+or+not+to+drill.jpg

Leave, drill or cut it out and back with mesh?

Leave 100% leave, real cool.
Like the idea in stead of the Edammer cheese hole mess

.......you kats will have to hang on for a bit, I was left alone in the shop too long......

t71ford said:
Sonrier: So if I understand correctly, pin 5 of the L555 is the trigger for the mosfet, and the L555 pulse width frequency is determined by the L555? Also, in saying that you are looking for an off detent in the potentiometer, are you using that in lieu of the trigger switch on the diagram?

Actually, pin 3 connects to the base of the mosfet. The switch, in the diagram, should be removed and replaced with a solid connection. The pot replaces R1 and varies the pulse frequency as the resistance from the pot varies. Ideally, the pot would have an "off" setting because the 555 produces no output if pins 6 or 7 are receiving no power and so there would be no need for the switch.

OK, I see what you mean now. Is the bottom line of the schematic to be gound, like in linear type schematics? Ie, pins 1 & 2.

Thanks for the help, o master of electronic genius!

Chris, I think we can make this work pretty easily. I can source potentiometers with an off detent pretty easily through work.

t71ford said:
OK, I see what you mean now. Is the bottom line of the schematic to be gound, like in linear type schematics? Ie, pins 1 & 2.

Thanks for the help, o master of electronic genius!

Chris, I think we can make this work pretty easily. I can source potentiometers with an off detent pretty easily through work.

Yessir. Very bottom line is ground. Second to bottom is the positive input to the MOSFET base.

t71ford said:

Excellent. It's a bit over my head at present, but definitely something I'd like to pursue this fall.

the dimples are way cool lee....and chris. I think a couple more thousandths would connect the dimples. I dont know how that would look compared to this. I like it like this myself. (not that I wouldnt be interested in seeing the pattern and effect of connected dimples, you should do a test piece just to see) granted there isnt much weight savings but lets be honest, this level of weight savings is really more for looks anyway

With my "rider weight", me with helmet and gear at 270 to 280 (not including a backpack with extras) I cant shave enough weight to make a difference.

I like the dimples too, but I did change this piece for a couple reasons. First because while it didn't show at all in the photos I actually messed up the depth on a couple of them and it showed via a few much darker shadows that drew the eye right to them.

The other reason is that I try to tie parts together visually when I can. In this case I kinda tore into the side cover without thinking along those lines. It's a fine piece in and of itself but misses the mark just a bit visually if left with the dimples. I'll admit that most of the 'tie in' will take place on the sprocket cover portion itself but the combination of elements wouldn't work.
Have faith though...this'll go the direction that Ringo wants it, bottom line.

I've put out the word to find another side cover and I'll do one with the dimples a little better and Chris can choose.

cool. If i werent already planning to carbon all my plates and covers I might seriously consider the dimples. Although im already planning the next bike...an early virago...I like that no down tube. I might go that route for that one...

Swagger said:
I've put out the word to find another side cover and I'll do one with the dimples a little better and Chris can choose.

Jeez Lee! You know I'm not too picky! You shouldn't go out of your way to get a new cover. As is, this stuff is more than nice enough to make me happy.

Hehe....well as long as you're cool mate. Just want this to be what you're looking for. I'll fling you a pic and you can decide.....

Re: '75 CB550K Gulf - dual disc

I'm just buttoning up the dual disc conversion, and I can't decide on whether to polish the new caliper, or bead blast the old one. I'm leaning towards blasting the old one, as there's already a lot of shiny in the front end. Thoughts?
e1f80bab.jpg

b6c2e2d4.jpg

Back
Top Bottom