Blake's cb350 Cafe (Update: APRIL 10th Jetted,exhaust, all hard work done! PICS)

Color Scheme

• Black on Black w/ Chrome Accents

Votes: 2 14.3%
  • Black on Black w/ Black Accents

Votes: 2 14.3%
  • Original Gold Orange with Black and Chrome Accents

Votes: 10 71.4%

• Total voters
Re: Blake's 1971 CB350 Cafe Racer w/ Lots of pics!

The stock carbs are cv carbs so they depend on air flowing into them. So putting pods on can mess with the intake. Not impossible, but can be a real pita to tune. Mikuni vm30 carbs are manual carbs. And new. I put vm20's on my old cl175 and it was like night and day.

Big Rich said:
The stock carbs are cv carbs so they depend on air flowing into them. So putting pods on can mess with the intake. Not impossible, but can be a real pita to tune. Mikuni vm30 carbs are manual carbs. And new. I put vm20's on my old cl175 and it was like night and day.

You do know im doing this all on a 1000 dollar budget... right? im down to 500 and i dont even have an exhaust welded up. I need to know whats the cheapest way to make these things work...

You can get vm30's on ebay for $50 each. That is a c-note well spent. I've heard rumors that the $50 ones are knock-offs but they are stamped mikuni and I've also heard they work well. I'll let you know. I've got a pair in the mail right now!

I also put vm20's on my 200 build and it was night and day the difference.

if i get vm30s can i get pod filters?

yup. and much easier to tune than the stock cv's. as Rich was saying.

Found a site where i can get vm30s for 155bucks shipped. thinking about doing that....

Anyone wanna tell me reasons why i shouldnt? would i have to change the jets on the stock vm30s? or no...

and would i need new throttle cables with vm30s...

Parts are still in the mail...so waiting on them...
in the mean time ive been researching polishing and buffing techniques for aluminum and am still trying to clean my gas tank out..

is the petcock supposed to be so bent out sideways?
I got 10w 30 oil that i plan on putting in right before i start the cb350... ive mostly been just cleaning the dirt off of EVERYTHING and getting ready for my parts... was gonna get ink for my printer so i could print off a manual but didnt work like i wanted....

Am still looking for exhaust pipes for the bike, need to find for under 50 bucks, without holes in the exhaust...but does matter as long as they run cuz im putting exhaust tape over them. Might faberacate or get someone to faberacate me some pipes...but dont know how hard it is to do... still debating whether to use my J pipe or not...

started clearing a well lighted spot in the basement for my custom seat... dont know when ill be doing that.... but for now i think we just play the waiting game.

-Blake

Post pics dude! You will most likely have to mess with jetting so get 3 or 4 sets of Mains and a couple of sizes of pilots to play with once you are set up. The vms make it pretty easy to change the mains so you can experiment on the fly.

Seriously holmes... What the hell is a J pipe? Are you just talking about the headers? PICS OF EVERYTHING!!!

Oh... And if your custom seat is going to be fibreglass, DO NOT DO IT IN THE BASEMENT! Very toxic, and VERY smelly. Your whole house will stink and you need very good ventilation.

I think a "J pipe" is a new term for roach-clip...? haha

Swapmeet Louie said:
I think a "J pipe" is a new term for roach-clip...? haha

No j pipe is the header pipe that i have not bent yet...im wondering if i should just get some crappy ones so i dont have to bend them myself....
What pics do you want!?

If you talk about it or especially if you ask us about it, post a pic. The more pics the better. It makes understanding what youre asking 1000 times easier.

I posted a video? cb350 explaination video
I thought it was about 20x better.

ill give you pics:
Heres the jtubing/ jpipe
100_2038.jpg

As you can see the pipe fits my exhaust but can i somehow get it flared on the end to make it work as a header? they say HOOKER on them...1 1/2 in pipe diameter. so i thought it would work...
-----------------
100_2027.jpg

this is a picture to show you that i have no stock airboxes... my dad said no mikunis so ill have to rejet my carbs for pod filters...:) but that may be a pita. as i have heard from MULTIPLE ppl now..
Also i am showing my condition of my alum. cases here... should i just sand them 150, 220, 400, 600wet, on up to 1500 wet? and use soapy water to cut the build up? thats what my shop teacher said would work... so i started to do that tonight.

Videos are cool, but sometimes for some people they can be a pita. Like when I'm on my phone for example.

If you do run pods, try to make the intakes as long as possible. And when polishing aluminum, start with around 440 wet paper. 150 is a little harsh unless there are really deep gauges.

Yeah, i don't even look at the videos unless I think its gonna be really cool, or a naked chick is going to appear. What are you trying to do with that pipe? create a new header pipe? If so you need to create a flange for the collars to grab for mounting. do you have a 350 header? if so you can either weld that flange in or use it as a template for new flange. Not sure what they look like exactly but it could be as simple as sliding a piece of larger diameter pipe over that pipe and welding it in place.

And since when does dad saying "no" to mikunis stop a bad ass builder like you?!?!?!? that is fucking bollocks!! Oh, wait! Dad's footing the bill, right?!

the stock carbs have plenty of potential, and they are not THAT hard to jet, just a bit of trial and error. Took me some time to figure out with the help of a few people but I ran the piss out of my stock carbs with velocity stacks and open(ish) pipes. Pods, especially foam ones shouldnt be much different. For reference, I was running 105/70/35 jets with the floats set at 25mm. Float height is HUGE with these carbs, a mm or so off can be night and day. Now pull those carbs!

here's a good step by step that i used early on: http://cb350.blogspot.com/2007/05/carb-rebuild.html

take pictures of everything as you pull it apart so you have something to reference when you go to put it back together. Another good thing to do is to do each carb in one sitting. As soon as you turn your back on them, parts go walking and its harder to remember how it all goes back.

bob.

diesel450 said:
Yeah, i don't even look at the videos unless I think its gonna be really cool, or a naked chick is going to appear. What are you trying to do with that pipe? create a new header pipe? If so you need to create a flange for the collars to grab for mounting. do you have a 350 header? if so you can either weld that flange in or use it as a template for new flange. Not sure what they look like exactly but it could be as simple as sliding a piece of larger diameter pipe over that pipe and welding it in place.

And since when does dad saying "no" to mikunis stop a bad ass builder like you?!?!?!? that is fucking bollocks!! Oh, wait! Dad's footing the bill, right?!

Hey buddy, i don't know you, nor do i have anything wrong with you...but i will promise you.... I respect my dad. He gives me a shelter and feeds me... i go to school and work hard... make decent grades come home and i work on my bike. If i have to buy something i do extra chores around the house and work with my dad on the weekends till i earn the money. My dad lets me borrow his tools and shop. If he says Mikunis aren't a good idea i listen too him especially when he's been around cars and bikes since he could walk. Idk if you are just hating on me cuz im a youngin... but its starting to irritate me.
My carbs are just fine. My dad said 150bucks for carbs would be dumb when i can just rejet the ones i have relativly easy and save the money. He said he'd help me with them.

I don't want any trouble guys...im just here to have fun and build something cool..
--------------------

Big Rich said:
Videos are cool, but sometimes for some people they can be a pita. Like when I'm on my phone for example.

If you do run pods, try to make the intakes as long as possible. And when polishing aluminum, start with around 440 wet paper. 150 is a little harsh unless there are really deep gauges.
What do you mean make the intakes as long as possible? i thought the intake was just the pod filter?

------------------
Bobdot said:
the stock carbs have plenty of potential, and they are not THAT hard to jet, just a bit of trial and error. Took me some time to figure out with the help of a few people but I ran the piss out of my stock carbs with velocity stacks and open(ish) pipes. Pods, especially foam ones shouldnt be much different. For reference, I was running 105/70/35 jets with the floats set at 25mm. Float height is HUGE with these carbs, a mm or so off can be night and day. Now pull those carbs!

here's a good step by step that i used early on: http://cb350.blogspot.com/2007/05/carb-rebuild.html

take pictures of everything as you pull it apart so you have something to reference when you go to put it back together. Another good thing to do is to do each carb in one sitting. As soon as you turn your back on them, parts go walking and its harder to remember how it all goes back.

bob.
Thanks bob.
I'm not gonna take the carbs apart until i know what i need to buy first... I'm guessing a gasket is the only thing besides jets ill need,
STILL NEED MY FKING MANUAL FROM THE COMPUTER... Hah. Been meaning to get to the store....tonight i helped my dad install a furnace in the garage...so maybe possibly we will have a heated garage!!!

and no i'm just trying to make a header pipe, i dont have one.

Back
Top Bottom