Blake's cb350 Cafe (Update: APRIL 10th Jetted,exhaust, all hard work done! PICS)

Color Scheme

• Black on Black w/ Chrome Accents

Votes: 2 14.3%
  • Black on Black w/ Black Accents

Votes: 2 14.3%
  • Original Gold Orange with Black and Chrome Accents

Votes: 10 71.4%

• Total voters
Re: Blake's 1971 CB350 Cafe Racer w/ Lots of pics!

you won't know what you need until you take the carbs apart. do you need new diaphrams because they are dried and cracked? do you need new floats because they have pinholes in them or someone else tried to solder them rendering them useless? is your needle clean? I'm not giving this info because I want to watch you struggle, I'm (we're) giving this info because its what needs to be done and its how you do it.

bob.

Just ribbing not hating. Where I come from ball busting is part of the deal. Glad you have a good thing going with your dad. That is very important. As are hard work and good grades. Thats the hard thing about the net, tone is sometimes hard to read. I was just teasing you.

You are asking for advice though, so that is what you are going to get and a lot of conflicting advice as well. Fact is that yes, you can definitely make your stock carbs work, no doubt, as long as they aren't all pitted etc. they will perform just fine. however my opinion is that Mikunis will give you better performance, reliability and ease of use, thats all I'm saying its up to you to decide what's important to you.

You need to find the profile for the header, you have to basically replicate the flange. DCC sells flanges for that bike that you can weld to your exhaust.

diesel450 said:
Just ribbing not hating. Where I come from ball busting is part of the deal. Glad you have a good thing going with your dad. That is very important. As are hard work and good grades. Thats the hard thing about the net, tone is sometimes hard to read. I was just teasing you.

You are asking for advice though, so that is what you are going to get and a lot of conflicting advice as well. Fact is that yes, you can definitely make your stock carbs work, no doubt, as long as they aren't all pitted etc. they will perform just fine. however my opinion is that Mikunis will give you better performance, reliability and ease of use, thats all I'm saying its up to you to decide what's important to you.

You need to find the profile for the header, you have to basically replicate the flange. DCC sells flanges for that bike that you can weld to your exhaust.

yeah i think i took it the wrong way... Anyways.... Let me take my carbs apart and see what the damage is.

Okay i went outside and got both carbs taken off ( thats a start )

Started taking apart the left side carb and had a little difficulty:
the bottom bowl that houses the float and jets and such....well...lets just say its locked up so tight i dont wanna try and pry it open, when i tilted the carb to the side it sounded like i hurt loose parts jingling around... uploading pics right now.... Ill have them before 10:30 tonight.

Heres the diaphram and what it looks like... It was sealed pretty tight to the carb housing... im guessing thats a good thing? but now its not since i pulled it out.
White residue on ONE small edge of the diaphram???

100_2109.jpg

100_2115.jpg

100_2116.jpg

Im not for sure what this is called but it looked like i should take a pic of it. I know thats the needle or something... on it. haha. wow i need to learn my shit before i take stuff apart... im taking plenty of pics so i dont loose stuff.

The bottom bowl screws that hold the bowl on...they had some white chalky crusty brittle residue that fell out of them when i took them out...
100_2119.jpg

(by now youve noticed my fked up thumb... i hope)
see above if you havent...

and finally...the valve looked new? is this a sign of a rebuild? or a bad sign!?
100_2120.jpg

This is the silcon-like material i found lining the bottom of the seal of the bowl...im pretty positive its glued shut but im not 100% maybe its just really hard to get open.
100_2122.jpg

Those carbs look OK. That looks like hondabond or similar used to seal that bowl. Some of it has hit the screw. Nothing serious, but you need to remove it all for re-assembly. Pry it open gently. Stock is just a gasket/o-ring with no help from adhesives. That butterfly valve could be original. They usually stay clean, and are rarely replaced. Needle looks good too, but you might want to run some 0000 steel wool over the slide to remove some grunge.

Looks about normal so far. Wait and see what's under the bowl. That's where the real mess usually is ;-)

cheers
ian

Ya man, they don't look too bad at all. Last time I took cv carbs apart there was sand and black silicone everywhere. Needless to say, I was apalled.

When I said to keep the intakes long, I meant to extend the connection between the carb and the air filter. Try to tune without it first, but if you have a hard time just keep it in mind. And what the hell did you do to your thumb? Didn't anybody tell you those are important? :D

Big Rich said:
Ya man, they don't look too bad at all. Last time I took cv carbs apart there was sand and black silicone everywhere. Needless to say, I was apalled.

When I said to keep the intakes long, I meant to extend the connection between the carb and the air filter. Try to tune without it first, but if you have a hard time just keep it in mind. And what the hell did you do to your thumb? Didn't anybody tell you those are important? :D

Thanks big rich.

Thanks everybody as a matter of fact!

And whats honda bond? something i need to order when i reinstall my carbs with new gaskets,jets ect?

My thumb? idk its just a wart i think...and i need to go to the dermitologist.

So it IS okay to pry on the bottom bowl if i do it gently? crap wont go flyin all over the place?

Hondabond (also known as Yamabond, Suzukibond, etc) is used when reassembling an engine. NOT for putting carbs together.

Try gently tapping around the float bowl with a rubber mallet, sometimes they just kinda "stick". I'm not saying that crap won't fly everywhere, so do it over a large towl or something.

Ha! But he said he has one on his computer, just no printer.

Most of the inards in the float bowl area are screwed in or attached in some fashion even if its just varnished in. The jets have their size stamped on them so make a note of what size jet goes where.

If I were you I'd stop right now and get A. your carb rebuild kits (if you don't already have them) B. a gallon can of carb cleaner with the little parts basket in it. and C. the manual. Have these things on hand and then take apart one carb at a time. The carb kits generally give you more than you really need. If your careful and can get the jets all out with out fucking them up (use penetrating lubricant and patience) then you don't generally need to replace them unless you are re-jetting for other reasons. you really only need to replace the gasket and the float needles as they are the things that wear out. Hold your slide diaphragm up to the light and look for cracks or pin holes. yours look pretty good but you never know. once everything is apart put it all in the basket and soak it in the cleaner overnight. DO NOT PUT the slide in or the diaphragm may get ruined, you have to clean that with some steel wool and cleaner. when you pull the parts out of the soak, clean them off and then blast out all the little passages with compressed air. the little lever handle gun with a rubber tip on it is great for this. make sure you get a good blast air through every little hole you can find. This is also a good way to gain an understanding of how air is moved through the carb. you want to see a little blast of cleaner come out the other end of each of the passages. do the same with the jets you removed. You may need to pass some wire through the jets to clear them. old guitar strings are great for this.

keep things organized and do one carb at a time and its pretty easy. one thing; if your slides are fucked then your looking at new carbs anyway because those things cost like $60 each. At that point imo it makes sense to pony up for new carbs

still looking at your carbs?

yeahhh, im not worried about beating you at alllll... xD

agreed... get yourself a carb rebuild kit.

really blake, im not going to tell you the simple things anymore. do the basics. then modify. im helping you out; otherwise id just tell you to tear into your motor right now!

Back
Top Bottom