Blake's cb350 Cafe (Update: APRIL 10th Jetted,exhaust, all hard work done! PICS)

Color Scheme

• Black on Black w/ Chrome Accents

Votes: 2 14.3%
  • Black on Black w/ Black Accents

Votes: 2 14.3%
  • Original Gold Orange with Black and Chrome Accents

Votes: 10 71.4%

• Total voters
Re: Blake's 1971 CB350 Cafe Racer w/ Lots of pics!

got the manual printed so ill be reading some of that tonight.

dont have exhaust put on so dad says i cant mess with the float bowl until we put the exhuast on. Sorry guys thanks for the help.

exhaust goes on in a snap. replace exhaust gaskets; air leak in exhaust is a BITCH to figure out and can at times make your bike run like utter crap.

Rocan said:
exhaust goes on in a snap. replace exhaust gaskets; air leak in exhaust is a BITCH to figure out and can at times make your bike run like utter crap.

I got the exhaust gaskets ordered...have had them ordered for a week now... hopefully i get them soon... idk how im going to get a header though... i wanna make it outta my pipes i got but i need the template. And WOW this manual... is such a big help..haha finally starting to get into it... and i see why you guys told me to get it... haha.

It's like a new bible, right?

But any spots where it depends on a pic in the explanation can get a little sketchy. Just because of the pic quality.

yeah rich! like a bible.. but less jesus. a lot less. :(

Anyways my battery came in today! Im goin to hang with a small group of friends soo ill throw the battery on the charger for a little while after i put the electrolytes in it.

100_2123.jpg

Also got some polishing work started...ready for the long haul .... steel wool, 400grit paper, 600wet, and 1500, with soap and water.
100_2127.jpg

100_2129.jpg

and of course a mask! aluminum oxide sucks!
100_2131.jpg

you look like a punk ass. ;)

haha... yeah, aluminum blows (after buffing without a mask i always blow black snot/spit. terrible stuff, but i never put a mask on as its a PITA)

youve got a LOT of practice to do with the buffing. go back to 400... one direction, wet, with a touch of soap. ONE DIRECTION. then go to 600, wet, in the PERPENDICULAR direction. then from 600 up to 1000, again crossing direction. at this point i usually hit it with the buffing wheel (emory rouge with a sisal wheel) but if your just hand polishing i would go 1500 grit, opposite direction, then 2000, switching direction again. always wet sand, and keep your sandpaper clean. you should not see ANY of the rougher grit scratches by the time your reaching for the next level up.

this is the finish you should have after 600 or so.

IMG_1281.jpg

see the uniformity of the scratches?

if you ever get a buffer... expect to spend HOURS in this position...

IMG_1300.jpg

heres a pic of the first piece i ever buffed (took about 20 hours or so). Notice the fine scratches in the side cover?

IMG_0199.jpg

and where i am now (about 20 hours for both fork legs! you get faster as time goes on, and WAY better; these parts looked like SHIT when i started)

IMG_2069.jpg

Just want to add: wet sanding aluminum with 400 & 600 sucks. It feels like it takes forever to get out the previous scratches. But once you get into the finer grits, they come out much easier.

Big Rich said:
Just want to add: wet sanding aluminum with 400 & 600 sucks. It feels like it takes forever to get out the previous scratches. But once you get into the finer grits, they come out much easier.

agreed.

you can, at some point, use power tools to do the sanding etc, but i REALLY do not recommend it until you are well seasoned with polishing (im just getting into it, and have over 100 hours of polishing under my belt (estimated)).

those look great Rocan, but as soon as i get my exhaust on and my carbs tuned, and my pod filters on... my bikes gonna be ridable then ill make the seat in about a weeks worth of time......so umm GET ON YOURS or im gonna win,

ohhh i know that...
im just saying... ill have my seat done soon after...THEN ill be done.

Okay guys heres todays update:

No parts in yet...still waiting so doing some more polishing on my cases tonight..
got some 1000 grit wetdry paper and some more sand paper that i needed.
Got some more florists foam so gonna work on that.
Pics later...
-Thanks for tuning in!
:) blake.

if you put on a "cafe seat" and just hammer in the tank or something stupid and call it "done" or a "cafe" i dont care if youve "won" as youll get zero respect from me (or most people on the site!) for doing that.

if i wanted that, i could be done next week. hell, theres more time into my forks alone then your entire bike! ;)

now get back to work, and that bike better be PERFECT by the time you call it "done"

My paper i got for polishing aluminum
100_2138.jpg

My foam seat mold i started today.
100_2143.jpg

100_2141.jpg

elmers glue? that stuff hold? i would HATE to have my foam come apart halfway though glassing.

Rocan said:
elmers glue? that stuff hold? i would HATE to have my foam come apart halfway though glassing.

i'm going to tape up my mold before i glass... so i can reuse it if something goes wrong. Masking tape or painters tape probably painters tape.

Just got done sanding up to 1000, need to take pics tommarow to show you guys.. but it looks great!!
Thanks for all the tips Rocan, and everyone else.

It really helped...

So i need to find headers for both sides, ive given up using my headers cuz the headers for the original bike are double walled steel... :(
or so i hear...

So ill buy a cheapo pair for 50 bucks and exhaust wrap them.
problem solved.

100_2164.jpg

Wow, My office was freezing so i foamed the gap and the temp went up 14 degrees haha.
Thats what i did this morning but i also did a bit more.
started carving up seat whilst i wait for my other parts
100_2144.jpg

100_2160.jpg

100_2159.jpg

100_2163.jpg

0108111212.jpg

Took this on my phone sorry.
but this is what it looks like on the bike.

Back
Top Bottom