Blake's cb350 Cafe (Update: APRIL 10th Jetted,exhaust, all hard work done! PICS)

Color Scheme

• Black on Black w/ Chrome Accents

Votes: 2 14.3%
  • Black on Black w/ Black Accents

Votes: 2 14.3%
  • Original Gold Orange with Black and Chrome Accents

Votes: 10 71.4%

• Total voters
Re: Blake's 1971 CB350 Cafe Racer w/ Lots of pics!

B L A K E said:
seriously? was this a needed comment?

Was this? All Rocan was saying was that he agreed with me. Nothing to get worked up about.

Sorry, i'm getting frustrated with my build. I dont need to take it out on rocan.

Frustration is part of the game man. All good. Sometimes you just have to step away and chill out a bit. Dont rush anything. Thats how mistakes get made and you get hurt.

Yes! And don't listen to Rocan when it comes to safety gear. Wear it. Everytime. though I don't really worry about Roc too much as it doesn't seem like he's doing much of anything anyway! :)

Blake - why ask for opinions etc. on the seat if you had already decided to use the square one? just wondering.

I ask for opinions because i might have missed something that could potentially change my mind...

Still waiting for headers...
Hopefully friday (cross fingers)
Till then, not much work,

QUESTION THOUGH:

Can you put inline mufflers, like little tiny ones... inside of the stock headers,? so i can just run short pipes? if so where can i find them?

Well, the exhaust system will work best at it's tuned length. So as long as it's not TOO short you could make some little baffles to fit inside the pipes. Check out the $50 mod thread on how to make them.

Okay!

now for the fun! Running to the store tommarow morning to get some jets for my carbs, and then i'm going to order some pod filters:

48mm or 50mm Pods? just wondering,

and K&N pods or genaric? whats worth getting?

Then, i need to know what diameter of pip to get for straight pipes,
then i'm going to make baffles using one of the threads on here..i was searching around

Then for the tuning.

WILL HAVE PICS OF EVERYTHING!

Measure youre carb for the filters. Measure your pipes for the dia. and so on...

K&N filters are washable, no-name ones "aren't". If you have access to a compressor, then you can clean out the no-name filters and save yourself about $10 each.

As far as performance, no not REALLY... They will last longer as they are washable. The others need replaced every so often. If you can afford K&Ns buy em.

i can afford them but i mean, Whats the point of buying something that will last longer when ill probably sell my cb350 for a cb750 a year after i start riding it.

I got some extra parts laying around if anyone wants to buy them for cheap:
Nice stock handlebars
fork light ears
shock covers for front,
rear shocks with Good chrome but not perfect
i have a bunch of little pieces for controls if you dont wanna buy them ill ship some of the pieces to you if you pay shipping.

B L A K E said:
I ask for opinions because i might have missed something that could potentially change my mind...

Can you put inline mufflers, like little tiny ones... inside of the stock headers,? so i can just run short pipes? if so where can i find them?
yes.
what you are looking for are baffles try ebay for a pic., and prices/purchase. I found some short pipes that already had the baffle installed, but I got them second hand so I don't have a good source -they might be on Ebay. my bike is a 360 and its pipes are an inch and a half. The 350 is probably about the same -you should check though. I like mine with the foot long extensions. That gets the exhaust just behind my foot, and the gives it a deeper, more throaty sound than it has with just the header -longer than one foot might sound even better.
http://www.toolparts.co.uk/acatalog/baffle-2.jpg
this is what the ones I have are like (if you took them out of the tail pipe) -though mine are only 4inch,which is still kinda loud- 8inch should give more back pressure and make it a bit quieter, -depending what you are going for tuning and sound wise.
p.s. I would search ebay motors " motorcycle exhaust baffle"

B L A K E said:
i can afford them but i mean, Whats the point of buying something that will last longer when ill probably sell my cb350 for a cb750 a year after i start riding it.

I got some extra parts laying around if anyone wants to buy them for cheap:
Nice stock handlebars
fork light ears
shock covers for front,
rear shocks with Good chrome but not perfect
i have a bunch of little pieces for controls if you dont wanna buy them ill ship some of the pieces to you if you pay shipping.

If youre just building a bike because you want to sell it, than stop asking us for help unless you plan cutting us in on the action. If you want to build a bike to love and have fun on we'll be here to help. You're probobly a really good kid, but fuck man... Ill say it again, buy a manual, take some measurements of your own, and build a bike because you want it to be a great bike. If you just want a piece of metal to sell, than do a resto and go on. Theres no shame in that. Maybe Im wrong here. Thats fine. But you ask for deals, you ask for tons of help, (again all good) but I havent seen you post in anyone other that Rocans thread and certainly not in any helpful ways. I may be out of line here, and Im sorry if I am, but youre only getting what you put in my man.

I have no issue with building to sell, I'm doing that too for the most part but. I agree that you have to give back and you have to do your own homework with the assistance of the forum. Not wanting to sound like an old codger here, but I find a lot of younger people have a "I-don't-need-to-know-it/do it-myself-I have-the-internet mentality.

The manual has basically all the info you need in it to rebuild a bike.

Yes, ask questions, but do some basic research first and please do chime in on other threads. I'm betting you aren't even reading many other threads and if you took a little time to do so a lot of your questions would be answered. If you are reading, chime in once in a while and say, "thanks for that bit of info, it helped." that would go a long way. and before you know it you'll be answering the newbs questions.

In short you are coming off as a "taker" and a humorless one at that.

diesel450 said:
I have no issue with building to sell, I'm doing that too for the most part but. I agree that you have to give back and you have to do your own homework with the assistance of the forum. Not wanting to sound like an old codger here, but I find a lot of younger people have a "I-don't-need-to-know-it/do it-myself-I have-the-internet mentality.

The manual has basically all the info you need in it to rebuild a bike.

Yes, ask questions, but do some basic research first and please do chime in on other threads. I'm betting you aren't even reading many other threads and if you took a little time to do so a lot of your questions would be answered. If you are reading, chime in once in a while and say, "thanks for that bit of info, it helped." that would go a long way. and before you know it you'll be answering the newbs questions.

In short you are coming off as a "taker" and a humorless one at that.

Sorry, I intend to help people once i know what the hell im talking about, but im trying to be humble because i DONT know very much. Sorry that im Ignorant a lot of the time, and sorry that i dont give thanks as much as i should but if you look back i do give thanks. Ill try to be more helpful to the newbs but i'm still learning in life about EVERYTHING. The whole self-centered thing is something i need to work on not doing. i have the manual but i dont see a part in the manual about the baffles at all, or pipe measurements, do i need a clymers manual as well?

VonYinzer said:
If youre just building a bike because you want to sell it, than stop asking us for help unless you plan cutting us in on the action. If you want to build a bike to love and have fun on we'll be here to help. You're probobly a really good kid, but fuck man... Ill say it again, buy a manual, take some measurements of your own, and build a bike because you want it to be a great bike. If you just want a piece of metal to sell, than do a resto and go on. Theres no shame in that. Maybe Im wrong here. Thats fine. But you ask for deals, you ask for tons of help, (again all good) but I havent seen you post in anyone other that Rocans thread and certainly not in any helpful ways. I may be out of line here, and Im sorry if I am, but youre only getting what you put in my man.

i dont know much about anything, and i post in Rocans thread for encouragement, he helps me a lot, and i would post in others' threads but you guys wouldn't benefit from any of the knowledge i have because you've basically taught me everything i know about bikes.
-------

On a lighter note, i have handlebar controls for the rightside mounted but not hooked up, i have levers and throttle hooked up and ready to go, i got my headers mounted, and i got ahold of someone who is going to do my seat pan uphosltry for cheap and i got ahold of someone for my seat glassing.

pics soon, sorry my camera has been acting up.

-thanks for all who helped me to the point! you deserve a lot more then i can give. :)

B L A K E said:
Thanks guys,

so K&N filters are better?

Yes, actually they are much better built and fit carbs without restricting flow (at least the older models did, I haven't needed to buy any for about 7 yrs ;D )
The cheap Chinese filters are 'one size fits nothing properly'
I bought a set of 4 because they were so cheap.
The filter part is as good or bad as K&N but the rubber mountings SUCK

Sorry for bein shitty man. I hear ya. What I was trying to say came across wrong. Also, PJ is right. The filter material isnt bad, but the rubber is crap. And, when it comes to measurements, forget the book. Get some calipers, and a tape measure and do it yourself man. Books and the web cant tell ya everyhing.

While K&N filters are great, the rubber surrounding the actual filter can interfere with fitting too. Check out their site before you buy them- they give really good measurements of all their filters. And if you do run into a problem, don't hesitate to get Uni filters instead. They may not look as pretty, but work well.

Back
Top Bottom