Blake's cb350 Cafe (Update: APRIL 10th Jetted,exhaust, all hard work done! PICS)

Color Scheme

• Black on Black w/ Chrome Accents

Votes: 2 14.3%
  • Black on Black w/ Black Accents

Votes: 2 14.3%
  • Original Gold Orange with Black and Chrome Accents

Votes: 10 71.4%

• Total voters
Um, I said I like the seat, I didn't say you had engineered a whole new era in cafe seat design. easy tiger.

nice work though, I had my doubts you'd ever get it done! keep at it!!

t71ford said:
I thought you were going to set the points by dwell?? Don't you need to be looking for a dwell angle?

Yes but i need to borrow one... and for now im using a *feeler gauge* sorry... thats what i meant to say... **edited

Do you get the same hesitation warm as cold? Choke off or partial choke? I am just thinking it might be carbaration.
There is another issue I have been wondering about on these old Hondas, that I have not yet experimented with, and that is the spark advance. The possible issue I see with them, is the springs, which may have gotten soft over the last few decades.
If they have then the result would be that the advance of the spark would happen at a low rpm instead of high rpm.
Hopefully someone, who has fixed such a problem can weigh in.

p.s. Don't laugh to much at my previous post. It may just be, the most universally relevant piece of advice anyone has ever given you.

Re: Blake's cb350 Cafe (Update: APRIL 10th Jetted,exhaust, all hard work done! P

Blake... Set everything to the stock specs. I have a feeling that youre playing around with eveything too much and not remembering exactly what youve done. Happens to everyone. The hesitation does certainly sound like a carb/fuel issue though. And Barnicle, no disresppect, but what are you talkin' about? Haha... Let the kid do his thing.

Re: Blake's cb350 Cafe (Update: APRIL 10th Jetted,exhaust, all hard work done! P

Its not as though a cocky teenage boy is an unheard of creature... Hes proud of what hes done. Let him have a big head for a bit. Hes now realizing that celebrating early when building old bikes can bite ya in the ass. Hahaha

B L A K E said:
What are the points supposed to be set at? i know about .012-.016 but what do you guys have them set at?

are the spark plugs gaps supposed to be about .026?

it feels like its "bucking" when i take off in first gear... it kinda "sputters hard" and then takes off smooth...i dont get it...

Yes, point gap is .012 - .016 on the 350. However, most of the time you just have to adjust the gap on the left side. On the 350's, you set the left gap within specs and then time the left cylinder to fire exactly on the indexes. Then you adjust the right points to fire exactly on their index, and then check its gap. If within specs, you are fine. Altering the gap will change the timing.

Based on the manual I have the spark plug gap is 0.028 - 0.032 in. What type of plug are you running? Standard plug is a NGK B8ES.

Off idle stumbling is generally running lean. Have you ensured the pilot jet is squeaky clean? Have the mixture screws been adjusted (1 1/8 to start with)? Float level checked? Carbs sync'd?

Like Von said, put everything back to stock specs and work from there.

B L A K E said:
Yes but i need to borrow one... and for now im using a dwell meter

???

If you are using a dwell meter to set the dwell angle, why are you looking for point gap specs? Your point gap and dwell angle are essentially the same thing. One measures the physical widest point of the breaker point opening, and the otherelectrically measures the duration of time at which the points are open. Both will end in the same place, but the setting dwell is usually faster and more accurate.

Sorry if you know this, I am just confused at what you are needing to borrow if you have a dwell meter, and if you are using a dwell meter, why you are looking for a point gap spec.

HerrDeacon said:
Yes, point gap is .012 - .016 on the 350. However, most of the time you just have to adjust the gap on the left side. On the 350's, you set the left gap within specs and then time the left cylinder to fire exactly on the indexes. Then you adjust the right points to fire exactly on their index, and then check its gap. If within specs, you are fine. Altering the gap will change the timing.

Based on the manual I have the spark plug gap is 0.028 - 0.032 in. What type of plug are you running? Standard plug is a NGK B8ES.

Off idle stumbling is generally running lean. Have you ensured the pilot jet is squeaky clean? Have the mixture screws been adjusted (1 1/8 to start with)? Float level checked? Carbs sync'd?

Like Von said, put everything back to stock specs and work from there.
i set my NGKs (B8ES) to 0.029 and im just getting a SLIGHTTTTTT jump at the begining of first gear... its not the clutch grabbing either... i think it might be the valves.. but im running a TADDD bit rich...... would that cause it to do that?

what do you mean by "slight jump" in first gear? Is it the jump that happens when you shift from neutral to first? or do you mean that when you attempt to rev evenly thew the rpm range in first, you hit a specific rpm where the there is a 'slight Jump' in power?
edit: Or is it something else?

barnicle said:
what do you mean by "slight jump" in first gear? Is it the jump that happens when you shift from neutral to first? or do you mean that when you attempt to rev evenly thew the rpm range in first, you hit a specific rpm where the there is a 'slight Jump' in power?
edit: Or is it something else?
i mean after i throttle up after the clutch grabs its like a putter.... sound... almost like it acts like its not enough gas but that cant be..

Nice job Blake, I just read the whole thread from start to now. Congrats on getting it running. I just finished doing the cafe thing to my son's 72 CB350. Basically it was all cosmetic stuff. I will say that he bought a set of Mikuni 30's and that was the best money he spent on the whole deal. What a difference they make as far as acceleration and top end speed. He bought them from www.Speedmotoco.com. They advertised them as being jetted already for your specific bike. Just tell them what you have and where you live and they supposedly jet them correctly for you. I bolted them up and it fired up the second kick and haven't had to mess with the jetting on them at all except the normal adjustments. Good luck and I'll be lurking here on the rest of your thread........ 8)

Attachments

• DVC00411.JPG
    DVC00411.JPG
    111.1 KB · Views: 260
Random Suggestion ........ Purely because it's a problem I just addressed today ......
Are you running 'in line' fuel filters there?
Some just don't seem to work well in a gravity system and actually require fuel to be pushed through to keep them properly full and free of air.
I was getting what turned out to be fuel starvation when I got into mid range rpm.
Just a thought?

This was a thought of mine .. Hmm we'll see

How much throttle are you giving it when you start off? 1/4, 1/2 full as soon as the clutch is out? That might help to pinpoint the issue.

How are the carbs adjusted and are they stock jets or did you change the jets to match the filters?

Ignition advance springs on old Hondas do tend to stretch and the usual symptom is either the revs don't drop far enough when decelerating or the idle speed varies up and down. You aren't describing either symptom so I'm going with jetting.

Sounds almost like it's too lean off idle. Try adjusting the air/fuel screws to richen it up slightly and see if that cleans it up.

I tried running my bike a week or so ago -knew it wouldn't run right, but couldn't resist: has not been rejeted, no filters, sort baffles. just sitting there idling it was spewing gas, but then when I tried to ride it had all the signs of being to lean. I chocked it to check, -which seemed to make it spew again-, but then when I eased the choke out to a ceartain point the bike suddenly shot off almost leaving me sitting on the street; which meant it was lean. The conclusion I came to is that you can be to rich on the idle jet for instance and way to lean on the main.
I also took a closer look at my diaphragms, I had inspected them, but this time I stretched them just a tiny bit and found two holes near the slide on one of them.
So long story short, being to lean at one rpm, and to rich at another, is not out of the question.

B L A K E said:
The plugs say it's too rich though... Which is why I'm confused
I'm getting rich indications from mine too, despite running a K&N type pod.
Beats me.
Hey ho.

i looked at the air fuel screw to check if maybe The PO had done something wrong... it was OUT 4 1/2 turns! ahhahahaha! i turned it back to the stock 1 to 1 1/4 turns and it was a whole new bike... runs great... plugs are great... still wanting to do a little more with my bike but it runs so good right now... Im going to hopefully get the seat on it soon.

Back
Top Bottom