1989 Suzuki GS500E RESTO MOD UPDATE 3-21-2012

ben2go

Two Wheel Projectile
My puter crashed shortly after I started my resto mod and I lost all my before pics except these before pics of my virgin GS500E.
motorcycle015.jpg

motorcycle014.jpg

motorcycle013.jpg

motorcycle005.jpg

motorcycle006.jpg

After the resto mod.It was more mod than resto.The changes are subtle but performance was increased 10 fold.Pay close attention to the front end from the bars to the ground and the rear suspension.I did a lot of work to this bike to keep it low key but very fun and fast in the mountains.I've only had one person that could point out what's been done to my bike and that's because he is a mc mechanic.

I don't know why my bike looks twisted up in the rear but it's not.It must be a fluke from the crappy cell phone I used to take those pics.
0626081652.jpg

0626081654.jpg

0626081654a.jpg

0626081655.jpg

0626081655a.jpg

0626081655b.jpg

0626081656.jpg

0626081656a.jpg

0626081656b.jpg

0626081657a.jpg

0626081657b.jpg

0626081657c.jpg

1989 GS Build Specs.

Suspension
Front
Katana(95) 750 front end-for dual disc bakes and adjustability
Katana 600 upper triple
SealSaver fork seal protectors
15w fork oil-add a little stiffness for better road feel and cornering
GS steering stem swap-was done to adapt the Katana 750 front end to the GS
CBR F1/F2 clip ons-these are a must for sport riding and there the only ones that fit my custom application
Katana(89-97) handle bar controls- just because I had them and they fit

Rear
Katana(97) 750 rear shock-stiffer,lighter,and adjustable
Stock GS swing arm and linkages

Brakes
Front
Katana(95) 750 stock dual disc
Katana stock 4 piston calipers
Katana stock master cylinder
GS brake lever
Russel dual line stainless steel brake lines- better brake feel and more reliable
Ebc HH sintered pads-better stopping for sport riding

Back
Bandit 600 rotor
Katana(98+) 600/750 caliper bracket
GS stock caliper
EBC HH sintered pads-sever over kill/causes lock up if you get to happy with the brakes
GS stock caliper torque rod-reworked to clear rear tire

Wheels and Tires

Front
Stock GS 3.0 inch wheel-same as the stock Katana 750 front wheel so it matches the front end upgrade

Rear
Bandit 600 4.5 inch rear wheel-stock was 3.5 inch and the larger wheel allowes me run more common size radial tires
GS bearings
Custom wheel spacers
GS cush drive sprocket carrier
Stock 39 tooth GS sprocket

Tires
Shinko 005 Advanced
120-60-17 Front-up from 110-70-17
160-60-17 Rear-up from 130-70-17

Engine Upgrades
K&N Lunch Box Air filter-gets rid of the restrictive factory airbox
K&N Crank Case Breathe Filter-needed after the factory airbox was removed
Carb rejet 40/142.5/1 washer/3 turns on the mix screws-must do after exhaust and air filter upgrade
D&D Slipon Muffler-Right side muffler from a Suzuki Hayabusa exhaust kit
SV650(99-02) EBC Kevlar Racing Clutch Friction discs-better clutch grip
SV650(99-02) Barnnet Racing Clutch Springs-better clutch grip and feel
Bob B. Ignition Advancer- help smooth out the power curve
SV650 Racing 1/5 turn throttle tube-more like 1/6 on the GS-faster to full throttle
JTS 15 tooth sprocket

Body and Frame
Buell knock off signals-upgraded flasher relay for signals/EL-12 Electronic-stock one needed a lesser load-new signals are brighter
No Name Ebay mirrors
Targa 1/4 Fairing
Targa Chin Spoiler
04 Large Style 5.5 gallon Gas Tank-original was 4.0 gallon
Stock GS tail fairings
Stock seat(building a custom seat/not finished yet)
99 Yamaha R1 Clear Alternatives Tail light-brighter and easier to see during the day time
Bandit 400 Front Fender-stock gs fender was to small to cover the new tire size
GSXR 600 Bar ends (early to mid 90's)-helps eliminate some vibration through the handle bars
Custom Gauge mounts and Upper Fairing Stays

I have three and a half pages,front and back, in a note book of all the modifications I have done to my bike.The ones listed are just the most difficult ones.Still the mods weren't really all that difficult.Just took time,work,and head scratching.Lots of trial and error also.

Re: 1989 Suzuki GS500E RESTO MOD

Nicely done! You wouldn't even know you'd modified it at a glance... ;D

peteGS said:
Nicely done! You wouldn't even know you'd modified it at a glance... ;D

That was the idea I had,plus making it capable of carrying my 220lbs at the time.I am down to 190lbs and hope to drop a little more.

Wow Ben, that's a LOT of holes is those front discs........

Scoot's lookin good!

Big Rich said:
Wow Ben, that's a LOT of holes is those front discs........

Scoot's lookin good!

Those are factory Katana 750 rotors.I don't think the aftermarket rotors have as many.

Thanks.

I am adding a 15 tooth JT Sprocket as soon as I get a break.

Nice and subtle, you're right the swap doesn't stand out at all!
I'll be the brakes alone made this a different bike..

Swagger said:
Nice and subtle, you're right the swap doesn't stand out at all!
I'll be the brakes alone made this a different bike..

Running the Katana 750 front end and rear shock, combined with the dual disc brakes,stainless steel lines,and HH brake pads,transformed my bike into a corner carver.It only feels heavy when I have to push it around,but with my mods,it is fan fooking tastic in the mountainous area I live in.I feel like I have actually gained some speed because I can brake later for curves and I can carry more speed through the curves.I still have some upgrades I want to do to my bike.I am planning to go to 1.0kg springs in the forks(I'm a fatty) with 10w oil.Right now I am running stock springs,.85kg I think,and 20w fork oil.On the rear,I have to stock rebound only adjustable shock.I am looking for a late model r6 shock to build and install.With a little more time and money,I'll have a really solid performing bike.

Sounds like a riot! You should look into Racetech, they make great springs and several weights and they also make cartridge valve emulators that will really transform your already much better upgrade. I'll be watching this one!

Swagger said:
Sounds like a riot! You should look into Racetech, they make great springs and several weights and they also make cartridge valve emulators that will really transform your already much better upgrade. I'll be watching this one!

I am considering those.

I just made up a set of hi rise bars for my clip ons.I am tired of busting my hands on the tank while making tight turns.

BEFORE
100_1326.jpg

AFTER
100_1400.jpg

I'm still down waiting for parts, so I can rebuild the front brakes and do my yearly maintenance.

Here's the progression of the hi rise clip ons.

Bars marked for cutting.
100_1393.jpg

100_1394.jpg

Cutting tool of choice.It makes purdy sparkles.
100_1395.jpg

Cut that bitch like you mean it boy!That was easy.
100_1397.jpg

100_1396.jpg

Test fit them.

To wide.
100_1398.jpg

Scoot them in a smidge and install the controls.
100_1399.jpg

Getting there.Install the Targa fairing,cap the inside bar ends,and adjust.
100_1400-1.jpg

Lets take a look in the sun.Purdy close.
100_1411.jpg

100_1410.jpg

Waiting on some front brake parts so I can test'er out.

biggiesmalls said:
Lookin good. The hi rise clip ons have a nice look to them from the front of the bike.

Those things were quite a challenge.They had my wrists at very bad angles.After a couple miles,I hurt so bad,I returned home and put my CBR F1/2 clip ons back on.Just did 300 miles sunday with little problems.Just the usual hands going numb from the vibrations.

I think DCC sells anti-vibration bar ends. Anybody have any experience with those to know if they really do the trick?

Fill the bars with sand - wors just as well and far cheaper.

I have the original GS lead filled steel bar ends,I just can't find the proper screws and OE are costly.I have used led shot in other bikes and steel BBs.

Back
Top Bottom